Sunday, September 7, 2014

"10 Fun Things To Do While Hubby Is Away" and MYHSM Linky Party


Making your home sing Mondays


Welcome to the Making Your Home Sing Monday linky party!  Every day you are doing something to make your house into a home for yourself and your family (if you have one). 

My point with each Monday post is, what are YOU doing or going to do today to make your home sing?  It can be an attitude or an action. So have fun, do some blog hopping, and link up!  Thanks!


Topics can include marriage, parenting, encouraging women, organization, cleaning, saving money, our behavior and attitudes, homemaking, homeschooling, recipes.....the opportunities are endless.


Note: We had 114 linkups last week!  You guys are awesomely amazing and amazingly awesome!  Don't forget to visit one another and try to leave a comment on at least one blog to encourage someone today!  :)  

On the left sidebar (down towards the bottom) is the "Making Your Home Sing! Monday" button which I'd love for you to grab and paste into your post!  It is a "no-follow" button.




Image courtesy of imagerymajestic at FreeDigitalPhotos.net


My family went out of town for a few days and so it was just the dogs and I holding down the fort while they were gone.  What do you suppose I did while they were away?

Grab a stack of dvd's and hold my own "Dr. Who" all day marathon?  Catch up on my stack of Better Homes & Gardens magazines?  Read a favorite book while snacking on gluten-free oatmeal cookies? Get a mani and pedi?  All of the above?

Well..............

You would be wrong.

Back when the kids were little, sometimes my hubby went out of town and suddenly it was project and party time!  I might grab some fast food and rent a video for the kids, or we'd stop at the library. After dinner they'd watch their video and I would start working on cleaning, decluttering, organizing or some other project.

After the kids were in bed I was able to continue working, uninterrupted.   While I loved having my husband at home, I would take advantage of his absence and work long into the night.  The kids and I would usually have a play date the next day with friends, and then I'd get back to my project again that night.

I might break out the can of spray paint, clean out closets, rearrange a room, or clean and organize to my heart's content!

So this last weekend I vacuumed and mopped floors, cleaned bathrooms, did laundry, changed sheets, did a little filing (very little), and straightened/decluttered some drawers.

I also reorganized the walk-in pantry so that you could actually, you know, WALK in it.

A friend called to ask what I was up to, and I'm pretty sure that the words "fun" and "cleaning" did not compute.

But I love being able to dive into something with no interruptions, except for the dogs whose crossed legs and panicky eyes let me know that I do have some responsibilities.

I love bringing order to chaos knowing that it will make my family's life and mine a little easier, or at least a little more organized.

I love being able to spread out and make a mess while I declutter or reorganize something, and not have to worry about being in anybody's way, or anybody being in MY way.

I love knowing that I have the time to finish what I've started, and I don't have to pay attention to the clock.

I can do this while my family is home, of course.  My husband doesn't mind eating out of the freezer and our youngest doesn't need supervision anymore, so I do have the time to start a project, and sometimes I do.

But it just seems easier when my time is my own, to spend however I want.

Rest assured, I did manage a mini "Dr. Who" marathon, Also, I read half of a magazine, ate some oatmeal cookies (gluten-free!), and read a couple of chapters in my book.  No mani or pedicure but I did wave at my toes this morning, and promised them that I haven't forgotten them.  So for those of you who can't stand cleaning or organizing, my weekend won't seem like a total loss!

When our husbands are away we can organize or clean to our heart's delight if that's what we enjoy, we can spend some quality time with friends, or just party with the kids!  Maybe all three!

Many, if not most, times our routines will be the same, whether hubby is away or at home.  But if we want a change, we can:
  1. Think of a chore or something you've been putting off and DO it (or at least start it). Reorganize a closet, rearrange a room, declutter, or start sewing up a storm!
  2. Reconnect with some old friends over lunch or dinner
  3. Plan a candlelight dinner for when hubby comes home and go shopping for the ingredients
  4. Watch some "chick" flicks and sob your heart out (for the record, I really don't like chick flicks but I know some really love them)
  5. Let the kids build a fort in the family room (that ought to keep them busy for awhile) and then everybody sleep in it that night.......mom included!
  6. Surf the net without feeling guilty
  7. Go shopping with some girlfriends and get a pedicure
  8. Write your husband a love letter and slip it on his pillow for him to read when he returns
  9. Make the kids' favorite meal have a popcorn and movie night
  10. Read at least one magazine from cover to cover
What do YOU like to do when you have the place to yourself for a long time?


What are you doing or going to do today to make your home sing? Please go here for instructions and/or ideas and come back here to link up to join us today! 


If you don't want to miss any blogs posts, you can subscribe
by 
RSS, Bloglovin, Feedly
Facebook or Email 

I'd love to connect with you!




I am linking up to these linky parties:

 Photobucket
Living Proverbs 31

marriage mondaysWhat Joy Is MineTeaching What Is Good Messy MarriageFamily Home and LifeWise-Woman-Builds 125 Titus 2 Tuesday Button Photobucket

21 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. It's been my pleasure, Debbie! Thanks for always being so faithful! :)

      Delete
  2. I would have done exactly what you did! Clean and organize till my eyes were crossed! Now that My Three Sons are out of the house and on their own it isn't often that The Sweetheart is gone. With both of us working from home we are together ALOT, lol. But when he IS gone I get so much more done! Sounds like you accomplished mountains. Blessings!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I'm not alone in this, lol! Before I posted I thought "someone is going to think I'm crazy" but then I figured that there must be other people our there like me, haha.

      Delete
  3. You are a girl after my own heart, that is the kind of plans I always have when my husband is travelling - except our kids are all grown so I have even more free time to myself and catching up with friends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My kids are grown too, although the youngest still lives at home while attending school and working. Even so, hubby and kids provide enough distraction and interruptions to where it's easy for me to lose my focus or even my motivation. But I definitely have more free time now, especially since I'm no longer homeschooling.

      Delete
  4. Hey there, Nan! I'm finally back to posting and linking up on Sun/Monday. I've missed you and your place here and agree that making the most of the time when our spouse's are away to get to those long overlooked projects is a great idea. Then they get to come back to our homes with those pesky projects knocked off our list, so we can be more attentive and relaxed with them. Best of both worlds! Thanks for hosting! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've missed you too, Beth, and have missed linking up with you. But I just haven't been blogging much lately. You're right, it's the best of both worlds because we don't have all that stuff hanging over our heads! ;)

      Delete
  5. This is such a timely post for me--my husband is leaving for 3 full days (which hardly ever happens) and I will be here with my 4 kids. I'm a little nervous about the time away but hopefully after fun and busy days I can do some of these things when the kids go to bed ;) Thanks for sharing! I haven't linked up for several months but am back after a long blogging break.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a lot harder to get into a new routine when the kids are really young. By the time you get them used to the new routine, daddy is home again, lol!

      But they will adjust and will love the fun things and the busyness will help keep them from missing dad.

      Perhaps you can have them make a "welcome home daddy" banner at some point, and that will give you some extra time to get some of your things done while they work! ;) So glad to have you back, my friend!

      Delete
  6. I love your ideas. It's great to get some things done without having to worry about dinner and bedtimes etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! It's just kind of nice to be able to work through and just go at your own pace and eat when you're in the mood!

      Delete
  7. Well, the timing on your post is very apropos for me as my husband is going to a conference in 2 weeks. I generally stay up all night long and clean. Never fun but I just don't sleep while he is not in bed with me! But I'm just getting too old for that! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I seem to sleep pretty well when he's gone. lol! I don't think I could stay up all night if I tried, hahahaha. ;)

      Delete
  8. Thanks for another great party!

    Have an awesome week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds fun to me! One time when my hubby was away, I secretly painted the whole kitchen, cabinets and all. Boy was he pleasantly surprised when he got home. It meant less on his to do list! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, that is amazing! How fun! I'll bet you just couldn't wait to show him.

      Delete
  10. Thanks for the link-up. My husband doesn't go away often, but if he did, I would probably spend more intentional time with the kids and get some deep cleaning done. ~Heather @ My Overflowing Cup

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nan...A great list. I usually try to work through a book I've been wanting to read. I organize areas in need of attention. I also make plans and spend fun time with our kids. Thank you for a great post and for hosting friend.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, believe me, I do know the joy of a really deep complete reorganization! Those are awesome. And I always miss my husband when he's away but you're right, there's always some project to keep me occupied!

    ReplyDelete

So glad you stopped by today! Please feel free to subscribe to my blog and/or follow me on facebook. The links are at the bottom of each post.

Thank you for leaving a comment. I love hearing from you! Please keep it nice and sweet and family friendly so I don't have to delete!

Please don't leave a link to your blog (or anyone else's) in your comment. Due to google's new comment spam policy, any comments with links will have to be deleted to protect both you and me!