Sunday, June 8, 2014

What Will Your Children Remember? & MYHSM Linky Party


Making your home sing Mondays


Welcome to the Making Your Home Sing Monday linky party!  Every day you are doing something to make your house into a home for yourself and your family (if you have one). 

My point with each Monday post is, what are YOU doing or going to do today to make your home sing?  It can be an attitude or an action. So have fun, do some blog hopping, and link up!  Thanks!


Topics can include marriage, parenting, encouraging women, organization, cleaning, saving money, our behavior and attitudes, homemaking, homeschooling, recipes.....the opportunities are endless.


Note: We had 117 linkups last week!  You guys are awesomely amazing and amazingly awesome!  Don't forget to visit one another and try to leave a comment on at least one blog to encourage someone today!  :)  

On the left sidebar (down towards the bottom) is the "Making Your Home Sing! Monday" button which I'd love for you to grab and paste into your post!  It is a "no-follow" button.

Image courtesy of photostock / FreeDigitalPhotos.net

When my kids were little I wondered what they would remember when they grew up.  Would they remember the times I lost my temper with them? 

Would they remember those words I wished I could take back?  Would they remember me with a mad face?  Would they remember that day when I said I didn't have time to read them yet another story?

What would they remember?  Would they remember long games of monopoly?  Moments of laughter?  Dancing wildly around the room to Disney songs?  Picnics and hikes and bike rides and swimming in the pool?  Nights where we let them stay up late?  The times we prayed with them when they were concerned about something and cuddled with them when they were upset?

Would they remember nights where I held them and rocked them to sleep or times when they weren't feeling well and I stayed next to their bed and told them stories or sang them songs until they feel asleep?

Would they remember when we woke them up at midnight because it was snowing so beautifully and we got them dressed and went outside and made snow angels?  Would they remember hot summer nights when we tucked them into bed and less then five minutes later came in and surprised them by taking them out (in their pj's)  for ice cream?


What would they remember?


Do you worry about how you are raising your children?   Are you trying to raise them as you feel the Lord wants you to do but worry sometimes about the future?  Wondering if you are making this mistake or that mistake?  Are you worrying that you just might be "doing" it wrong? 

Do you wonder what THEY will remember about their childhood?

What do you remember about your OWN childhood?  Do you remember only bad times?  Or do you remember good times too?  Assuming you weren't abused, do you have mostly good memories or do you find yourself dwelling on only the bad ones?

Do you find yourself worrying about what your children will remember?


When you are doing your best to follow after the Lord and love and raise those kids to the best of your ability, you will have wonderful moments in which you feel good about yourself and moments where you feel that you are a "good" mom.  



You will also have moments where you feel like you blew it.   Moments where you feel like you've failed.  Moments when you make a mistake.  Moments you regret.  Moments you wish you could do over.


But kids?  They are very resilient.  They are also very forgiving, and they love you, mama, and they know that you love them!

As they grow, you will find that they will remember some wonderful times that YOU have forgotten.  They will have some wonderful memories of moments and times with you that YOU thought were uneventful but that your children treasure.

Have no fear, your children will remember the love you have for them, the fun and the laughter, the cuddles and hugs, and the wonderful memories you are making with them.  

That kind of love overrides all the negative, as long as there is much more love and much more positive to overcome it with, and that's what you're seeking to do, right?  Trying to raise them in a loving environment, where they can see that mom and dad make mistakes too, sometimes, but that we own up to our mistakes and ask them for forgiveness when necessary?

All our children really want is to feel safe and know that they are loved. So have no worries, mama, and smile at the future. You’re doing a GREAT job! 

What are you doing or going to do today to make your home sing? Please go here for instructions and/or ideas and come back here to link up to join us today! 



If you don't want to miss any blogs posts, you can subscribe
by 
RSS, Bloglovin, Feedly
Facebook or Email 

I'd love to connect with you!





I am linking up to these linky parties:

 Photobucket
Living Proverbs 31

marriage mondaysWhat Joy Is MineTeaching What Is Good Messy MarriageFamily Home and LifeWise-Woman-Builds 125 Titus 2 Tuesday Button

18 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. You're welcome! Have a great day, my friend!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the lovely post & for hosting & God bless!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Laurie. God bless you, too, and thanks for popping over to link up again this week!

      Delete
  3. Thanks for hosting and you're right, the kids find some of the things you didn't realize were that big of a deal to treasure and always remember. Most of it is simple day to day stuff, not the "staged" memory makers.

    Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! We now have some "traditions" because we did it ONE time and the kids loved it and the following year asked if we were doing it again. By that time, I had forgotten all about it, lol!

      Delete
  4. I hope my children have the best memories and don't remember my bad moments in mothering. Sometimes I cared too much and blew it. They have told me funny stories when they escaped to the field in back of our house next to a pond for a 'picnic' instead of staying in our woods. Who knew?! Where was I?!

    Thanks for hosting and always getting this up early for even me on the other side of the continent!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You were busy with the rest of your kids, lol! My kids tell a few stories too. The oldest loves to tell the story about how he and a friend took their bikes further than they were supposed to once, and how they saw my car heading for home and they panicked because they were beyond the boundaries, lol!

      Delete
  5. You have a wonderful blog! Thanks for having link-ups! Please feel free to link-up at my blog somuchathome.blogspot.com
    God Bless,
    Mrs. Chris Thompson

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Chris. And thank you for the invite! I'll have to pop over there!

      Delete
  6. This is to reflect on, I hope my kids will carry good memories and not remember the unpleasant ones, cause there were many.
    Thanks for hosting, hope you can stop by Mondays Reflection with Music. Happy Week!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen to that, my friend! Thank you for the invite! I never post about music but I'd love to check it out! :)

      Delete
  7. Nan...its not hard to wonder if our children will remember only the ugly moments from their childhood and living at home. However, the good, I have found, always outweighs the bad. When our kids get on a kick and start reminiscing, they laugh and laugh. They only reflect on the good and I'm thankful for that. As a matter of fact, we just did this yesterday while enjoying frozen yogurt. It doesn't erase the ugly just means it wasn't something they held onto in their hearts. That is all God and His faithfulness. Thank you for the precious encouragement and link up. Blessings to you friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think so too, Naomi. They DO hold onto the precious memories which, as I said earlier, I think outweighs the negative. I am thankful for that too! And amen to God's faithfulness! You are right, it is HIS doing.

      Delete
  8. Thanks for the great reminder! Stopping by from a Wise Woman Builds :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Misty! So glad you stopped by!

      Delete
  9. I've often thought that I could have another blog called, "Messy Motherhood," Nan! So I really resonate with your words here. I am at the point where my last one is heading off to college in August and I feel many regrets that I didn't do enough of this or did too much of that. It's Satan's scheme for women (in particular) to feed on our insecurities and nurturing ways. I'm learning to let this go too, my friend. God has taught me so much through the good and bad of my life that it really doesn't matter what I missed. God will fill in the blank. :) Thanks for your encouragement here, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I LOVE that name!!!! How fun that would be!

      So you are coming up on an empty nest? How're you doing with that? Our youngest is in college but it's a local one so he is still at home. Not that we see him much between school, work, and homework, haha.

      Love what you said about God filling in the blank, lol! He's good about that! ;)

      Delete

So glad you stopped by today! Please feel free to subscribe to my blog and/or follow me on facebook. The links are at the bottom of each post.

Thank you for leaving a comment. I love hearing from you! Please keep it nice and sweet and family friendly so I don't have to delete!

Please don't leave a link to your blog (or anyone else's) in your comment. Due to google's new comment spam policy, any comments with links will have to be deleted to protect both you and me!