Sunday, January 26, 2014

Are You Trading Time With Your Family For Time With Your Vacuum? & MYHSM Linky Party


Making your home sing Mondays


Welcome to the Making Your Home Sing Monday linky party! Every day you are doing something to make your house into a home for yourself and your family (if you have one). 

My point with each Monday post is, what are YOU doing or going to do today to make your home sing?  It can be an attitude or an action. So have fun, do some blog hopping, and link up!  Thanks!


Topics can include marriage, parenting, encouraging women, organization, cleaning, saving money, our behavior and attitudes, homemaking, homeschooling, recipes.....the opportunities are endless.


Note: We had 89 linkups last week!  You guys are awesome!  Don't forget to visit one another and try to leave a comment on at least one blog to encourage someone today!  :)  

On the left sidebar (down towards the bottom) is the "Making Your Home Sing! Monday" button which I'd love for you to grab and paste into your post!  It is a "no-follow" button.


Image courtesy of John Kasawa / FreeDigitalPhotos.net


Are you sacrificing time with your family for time with your vacuum?

I definitely agree that we DO need to get the dishes and the laundry done, meals cooked, kitchen cleaned, etc.

But I also know that sometimes we don't manage our time very well.

If you are spending your daytime hours playing games on facebook, watching t.v. or surfing the internet and spending your evening hours catching up on your homemaking chores, you may want to rethink your priorities.

Evening time is family time, or whatever time your family is all together.  Do you really want to spend it catching up on chores that you could have done earlier?

I know how tempting it is to spend time on the computer, watch a movie, and/or just sit down and read a book all day. It's fun, right?

But are we hiding it?

Do we jump up the minute we hear our husband's key in the door and try and look like we've been doing something other than playing on the computer the last couple of hours?

Are we "goofing off" when our husbands aren't home, and then saving all the cleaning and other homemaking responsibilities for when he IS home?

Many people would say that this is fine, as long as things are getting done.  But at whose expense?

If I am using most of my day time hours every day to surf the net, explore pinterest, watch a movie or chat with my friends, then I am not managing my time well.  In my opinion anyway.

If I do that, then what happens is that my day time hours are being used for MY personal interests and desires.  Then I use my evening time, when my whole family is home and together, to do chores and things that I could have and SHOULD have done during the day.

I become too "busy" to spend time with my family and so I sacrifice my time with my family for time with my vacuum.

It doesn't mean that I should never have fun in my day.  It just means that I need to have a balance.

I "signed on" to be a wife and a mom when I got married and had my children.  That means I have a responsibility to my family too.  It's no longer all about me.  Actually, it never was!  I just didn't realize it until I grew up!  ;)

Balance.  This is an issue that many moms have to struggle with at one time or another, because there is no one monitoring our day.  I have struggled with managing my time too.  Still do, sometimes!

I can waste as much of it as I want or be as diligent as I want.  My husband will never know.

But I will know.  And God will know.

I can be lazy and selfish and focus only on me, or I can serve my family in love.

So what about you?

Do you feel like your priorities are out of whack?

Would you change your daily activities if someone installed a camera in your home?  Or would you spend your day exactly the same?

Do you feel like you need to hide how you spend your time?

Are you taking too much time out for "fun?"  Or not enough?

You see, there's the other end of the spectrum, where mom is spending TOO MUCH time with her vacuum......spending much of the day and the evening cleaning, straightening and maintaining her home.

Too busy cleaning to take a moment to read a book to her child and too busy cleaning the kitchen and doing the laundry to sit down and watch a movie with her husband.  I've been there too!

In fact, some weeks I've been on BOTH sides of this dilemma.  Too much fun AND too much working.....all in the same week!  It's enough to give you a headache.

It's all about balance.  We women struggle with finding it sometimes, don't we?

I will tell you one thing:


I think we know when we're NOT balanced...........  

.....when we're deleting our computer history so no one happens to see how much time we wasted on the internet today.

.....when we're feeling guilty because we know we're not being diligent with our time.

.....when we're constantly yelling at our kids to hurry up because WE didn't get off of the computer in time and now we're yelling at THEM to walk faster because we're late.

.....when we are constantly stressed and anxious and tired and feel like we're doing everything and yet accomplishing nothing.

.....when we feel like we are all work and no play.

.....when we feel like we are all play and no work.

.....when we feel guilty because we feel like we're doing the best we can and we STILL feel like we're letting someone down somewhere.

We have to remember what's important in life.   We have to remember our priorities.  We have to remember who we're doing it for.  For them.  For Him.  For ourselves, even!

We have to remember that we can't please everyone.  So we need to stop trying.  We need only please those that God has called us to please, and serve those that God has called us to serve.

We can trust God to help us find a balance.  All we have to do is ask!  Ask Him for help today and make your home sing!


What are you doing or going to do today to make your home sing? Please go here for instructions and/or ideas and come back here to link up to join us today! Please do not put your own "Making Your Home Sing Monday" Linky on your blog.



If you don't want to miss any blogs posts, you can subscribe
by 
RSS, Bloglovin, Feedly
Facebook or Email 

I'd love to connect with you!




I am linking up to these parties today: 


TheBetterMom.comWhat Joy Is MinePhotobucketHappy Wives ClubLiving Proverbs 31
 Messy Marriage Family Home and LifeWise-Woman-Builds 125 Titus 2 Tuesday Button Teaching What Is Goodkatherines corner Photobucket

Missional Womenhttp://christianmommyblogger.comHappyandBlessedHome.comFaithful Friday Blog Hop

11 comments:

  1. This has been a big challenge in my life right now, Nan. Since I'm going through radiation treatment, I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed by all that little and big things that are adding up. So balance is definitely something I'm needing, but not really doing very well. But I will say the vacuum is the last thing I'm giving my time to! Yikes! It's not a pretty sight! ha! Thanks for sharing and hosting, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Girl, you have enough going on with that battle you're fighting! You just take care of YOU and don't worry about all the other stuff! I don't think you need to be worrying about balance at all right now.

      All that matters is you getting better and leaning into the Lord and He will carry you through.

      Have you heard of that company that will clean the home (for free) of women who are going through cancer treatments? I don't know if it's a one time cleaning job or more than once but I think that would be amazing.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for hosting! You made a lot of good points, it is true you can't please everyone! And set priorities and trust God! Loved the article!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, my dear! You are always so sweet and faithful to leave comments! I love what you said about setting priorities and trusting God with them. Amen!

      Delete
  3. Thanks for hosting.
    Have a great week!
    Blessings :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome and thank YOU for joining us! You have a great week too, my friend.

      Delete
  4. Ooooo, tough words today....but we sure do need to hear them. It's very easy to let time get away from us while we're doing things we enjoy on the computer, phone, etc. And of course, that leaves evening for housework and getting things done around the house.

    With homeschooling, ministry, and blogging, plus a college course and writing, I have a lot on my plate. I must admit, sometimes I some evenings studying when I should be doing something with the family.

    Thanks for the thoughtful post - and the link up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It IS hard! Well, I would say that studying IS pretty important! I can't imagine being back in school, good for YOU! Homeschooling was school enough for me, haha! ;)

      Delete
  5. Here I am, late but here linking up just so you have one more post than last week :-)

    I don't usually vacuum when my husband is home, unless I broke glass or it is a Saturday. Even then I try not to. The only reason I do any housework when he is home in the evening is to finish up the laundry because I was busy all day ... but not the cleaning. Well, OK, I wash dishes. Is that alright?

    He doesn't always spend one-on-one time with me (extremely tired during the week) but we are all in the same room. He just likes me there. When I go downstairs he often calls me wondering where I went.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this! I have been trying to rebalance my life with less time for the non-essentials and more time for my husband and kids (the ESSENTIALS). Great post! Visiting from Messy Marriage Linky Party
    Jenny
    http://womenwithintention.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, Nan, for hosting the link-up!! I always enjoy reading here! Also, I am not trying to respond to every comment from bloggers...wanting to go deeper and not wider, and that determines who gets visited. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete

So glad you stopped by today! Please feel free to subscribe to my blog and/or follow me on facebook. The links are at the bottom of each post.

Thank you for leaving a comment. I love hearing from you! Please keep it nice and sweet and family friendly so I don't have to delete!

Please don't leave a link to your blog (or anyone else's) in your comment. Due to google's new comment spam policy, any comments with links will have to be deleted to protect both you and me!