Sunday, December 1, 2013

Christmas Traditions! And "Making Your Home Sing Monday" Linky Party



Making your home sing Mondays


Welcome to the Making Your Home Sing Monday linky party! Every day you are doing something to make your house into a home for yourself and your family (if you have one). 

My point with each Monday post is, what are YOU doing or going to do today to make your home sing?  It can be an attitude or an action. So have fun, do some blog hopping, and link up!  Thanks!


Topics can include marriage, parenting, encouraging women, organization, cleaning, saving money, our behavior and attitudes, homemaking, homeschooling, recipes....the opportunities are endless.


Note:  We had 106 linkups last week!  You guys are awesome!  Don't forget to visit one another and try to leave a comment on at least one blog to encourage someone today!  :)  

On the left sidebar (down towards the bottom) is the "Making Your Home Sing! Monday" button which you are welcome to grab and paste into your post if you want but it's not a requirement.  It is a "no-follow" button.

Wow, this year is going fast!  I hope you all had a lovely Thanksgiving!

Right now it looks like Christmas threw up all over my house.  All we did was pretty much drag the Christmas boxes out but no real decorating has been done yet.

I've been watching Christmas movies 24/7 on the Hallmark channel.  O.k., maybe not watching 24/7 but I love the Christmas movie season!

My husband has already informed me that we need to watch "White Christmas,"  which is also our daughter-in-law's favorite Christmas movie.   Our eldest son wants to watch "Miracle on 34th Street" which is HIS favorite and I'm pretty sure that our youngest son will want to watch "Jingle All The Way."

MY favorite Christmas movie is "It's A Wonderful Life." 

Isn't it funny how some movies become a tradition?  I remember watching "The Wizard of Oz" every year as a child with my family.  Not at Christmas time, of course, lol!

You can make a tradition around a movie, a book, a song, a place, a food........the tradition opportunities are endless.

Christmas traditions bring back warm memories of Christmases gone by, of family members who are no longer with us, of precious moments when our children were younger, and even of our own childhood.

Making a birthday cake for Jesus, new pajamas on Christmas morning, baking and decorating sugar cookies, Christmas caroling, making a snowman...........these are traditions that you might choose to observe every year.

Some of our family traditions are things that we did a couple of times and then one of our children declared it a must have, and thus a TRADITION was born!  Some traditions eventually end, of course.

For example, our children used to sleep in front of the Christmas tree the first night it went up and the last night before it was taken down.  This tradition carried on for years until they got to be teenagers and sleeping on the couch was fine for one but the loveseat was too small for the other, which left the hardwood floor......they tried it but didn't like it much.

But the awesome thing about tradition is that you can always make a new one if you want, or you can choose to keep an old one.  You can even modify a tradition!

This year I'm choosing to keep our tradition of watching favorite Christmas movies, and driving around looking at neighborhood Christmas lights.

What traditions are you choosing to keep this year?   What is YOUR favorite Christmas movie?  Renew an old tradition, discover a new tradition and make your home sing!


What are you doing or going to do today to make your home sing? Please go here for instructions and/or ideas and come back here to link up to join us today! Please do not put your own "Making Your Home Sing Monday" Linky on your blog.


If you don't want to miss any blogs posts, you can subscribe
by 
RSS, Bloglovin, Feedly
Facebook or Email 

I'd love to connect with you!

16 comments:

  1. Christmas traditions really do help us get in the spirit, don't they! Thanks for the great post & for hosting & God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Laurie! Yes, they really do. And it's such a joy to remember the years past and memories you've made over those same traditions.

      Delete
  2. There is a tradition in South Africa that has been going on for years. Every December our television station shows the movies of South Africa's greatest comedian, Leon Schuster. I religiously watch them year after year and still laugh until the tears roll. It is sort of poking fun with all our countries oddities and holy cows. BUT my husband told me this week that he has just released a new movie, and needless to say, I cannot wait to watch this one for the first time!
    Blessings XX
    Mia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to admit I've never heard of him, but we have some friends from South Africa and I will have to ask them about him! How fun that he's released another one! Bring on the popcorn. ;)

      Delete
  3. Our traditions include: reading the Christmas story from Luke 2 before we open gifts, eating hashbrown casserole and cinnamon rolls for breakfast, and allowing the kids to open their stockings before everyone gathers around the tree. We've also traditionally not placed the baby Jesus in the nativity scenes until Christmas morning. This year, we're implementing the German tradition of hiding the Christmas pickle on the tree. The first one who finds it on the tree gets to open the first gift. Hopefully the tree will survive the search!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those sound lovely, Lori! Yes, we just started the Christmas pickle a couple of years ago. I had never heard of it before and my husband brought one home, and I asked him "Why did you buy a pickle ornament?" Lol!

      Delete
  4. I like watching "It's A Wonderful Life" too!

    Every year my children enjoy getting the nativities out!

    Favorite recipes and family get togethers and celebrating Christ make it a very special time of year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love this time of year! We haven't watched "It's A Wonderful Life" yet but we will. Our son and daughter-in-law are having us over next weekend to watch a Christmas movie, not sure which one yet!

      Delete
  5. So funny that you would talk about Christmas movies today. We had this very conversation last night. "It's A Wonderful Life" was mentioned most as our favorite although we came to realize there are many more Christmas movies than we originally thought. And like you, I can SO remember watching The Wizard of Oz every year with my family. Some of my favorite family times included that movie :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My brother was afraid of "the ickeded ole' witz" as he called her, lol! I haven't seen "A Christmas Story" yet and I'm sure there's several shows out there I haven't seen, too.

      Delete
  6. Thank you, Nan, for being so faithful with your wonderful link-up. I love Come O come by Selah. The adoration shown by the Magi is right and proper for the prophesied Messiah!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen, Jacqueline! Wouldn't it have been AWESOME to have been there and seen that?

      Delete
  7. Nan...My favorite movie of all time is "It's A Wonderful Life." I watch it throughout the year. However, I'm a huge Jimmy Stewart fan. :-) One of our traditions actually starts at Thanksgiving: I give everyone new pajama pants. Yes, just the pants to lounge around in. Lol. We have several traditions at Christmas that I may have to share on my blog. ;-) Anyhow, thank you for another fabulous link up. Have a great week friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! Wouldn't it be fun to watch it together? I have loved that show since I was a young girl.

      I love the new pajama pants idea! I gave pajama pants to my boys too, but not sure what to do now that my son is married, lol!

      Delete
  8. Thanks for the linkup party!! I loved your chatty post. I have been putting up decorations a little at a time for the past two days. I think I might watch a few movies this year. I don't have a favorite since I haven't watched most of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you! I STILL haven't put mine up. I meant to but had some stuff come up this past week and never got around to it. I'd better hurry, lol!

      Delete

So glad you stopped by today! Please feel free to subscribe to my blog and/or follow me on facebook. The links are at the bottom of each post.

Thank you for leaving a comment. I love hearing from you! Please keep it nice and sweet and family friendly so I don't have to delete!

Please don't leave a link to your blog (or anyone else's) in your comment. Due to google's new comment spam policy, any comments with links will have to be deleted to protect both you and me!