Sunday, October 13, 2013

Is Your House Stuffed?


Making your home sing Mondays


Welcome to the Making Your Home Sing Monday linky party! Every day you are doing something to make your house into a home for yourself and your family (if you have one). 

My point with each Monday post is, what are YOU doing or going to do today to make your home sing?  It can be an attitude or an action. So have fun, do some blog hopping, and link up!  Thanks!


Topics can include marriage, parenting, encouraging women, organization, cleaning, saving money, our behavior and attitudes, homemaking, homeschooling, recipes....the opportunities are endless.


Note:  We had 91 linkups last week!  You guys are awesome!  Don't forget to visit one another and try to leave a comment on at least one blog to encourage someone today!  :)

Image courtesy of KROMKRATHOG at FreeDigitalPhotos.net

You have things.  I have things.  We all have things.  Lots and lots of things.

 Stuff.

Sometimes we are wise stewards of our money but not so wise when it comes to our possessions!

Sometimes we don't take good care of the things that we have, and yet we have a desire to acquire more things.

I think sometimes we need to evaluate the worth of our stuff.  We have to evaluate whether it's worth the trouble to store it, either in a storage unit or in our homes.



Image courtesy of Bill Longshaw at FreeDigitalPhotos.net


If we're storing it in a storage unit, is the value of the stuff we're storing worth the money we're paying to store it?  Are we paying over $100 a month to store a bunch of old clothes, old magazines, old yearbooks and broken lawn chairs?

If it's something we really like - then why aren't we putting it out where we can see it and appreciate it?  Why are we storing it away?

We should put it out where we can enjoy it.

If it's broken, we should also ask ourselves whether it is worth it to repair an item and put money into it to fix it, or give up prime "real estate" space to store it even though it's broken and we can't use it.

If it's not worth it - why are we keeping it?

If it's not worth it, why are we spending all that time dusting it, cleaning it, maintaining it and caring for it?

If it IS worth it, are we enjoying it?  Are we taking good care of it?

Why do I consider talking about a home cluttered with STUFF a frugal post?

Because sometimes we buy more of the same things because we can't find the ones that we have.

Because sometimes we buy another item because the one that we have is broken - yet we don't throw the broken one away.

Because sometimes we buy a bigger house that we really don't need and can't afford, so we can have more room to buy more stuff.

Because sometimes we are unhappy in the home that we have because we feel so crowded, yet what is crowding us isn't our family - it's our STUFF.


Because sometimes what we have is good enough, yet we want to buy the latest, best, brightest, newest.

Not because we need it but because we want it.

Not because we can afford it but because we feel like we can't afford NOT to buy it, because it's there.

Because we can.


Sometimes we aren't good stewards of our money because the desire to own is greater than the desire to save.

But sometimes we ROCK that stewardship thing when we carefully and prayerfully weigh our options before buying something, especially if it's a major purchase.  Let's remember that we own our stuff, our stuff doesn't own us and make our homes sing this week!

What are you doing or going to do today to make your home sing? Please go here for instructions and/or ideas and come back here to link up to join us today! Please do not put your own "Making Your Home Sing Monday" Linky on your blog.


If you don't want to miss any blogs posts, you can subscribe
by 
RSS, Bloglovin, Feedly
Facebook or Email 

I'd love to connect with you!




I am linking up to these linky parties: 


TheBetterMom.comWhat Joy Is MinePhotobucketHappy Wives ClubLiving Proverbs 31i should be mopping the floorThe Alabaster Jar 

125 Titus 2 Tuesday ButtonCourtship Connection Teaching What Is Good Messy MarriageDucks 'n a RowFamily Home and LifeWise-Woman-Builds All Things with Purposekatherines corner Photobucket

20 comments:

  1. This is an area that I often struggle with, Nan. I've been intending to put a ton of things that are taking up entirely too much space in various corners of my house (especially the basement storage room) on a FB group, Swap and Sell page. Now that my trip is out of the way, I don't have any excuses for not getting busy with decluttering and making a little extra spending money to boot! I always love your practical encouragements, girlfriend! Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am decluttering too. Not only my own stuff but my mom's stuff. She couldn't take everything into the nursing home with her, of course, and so I sent some stuff for her and my sister to sort through, and kept some stuff she didn't want. That's the stuff I'm decluttering!

      Delete
  2. I am slowly trying to go through stuff in my attic and walk in closet. My house is not clutter outside of the daily hot spots I or someone else leaves or needs to pick up. Thanks so much for sharing these thoughts. I always enjoy your posts, my special friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, sweetie! I always enjoy your posts too, and your sweet comments on my blog!

      Delete
  3. Such good thoughts about being good stewards of our possessions (not just our money). Thank you for hosting the party!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And thank YOU for linking up today, my friend! Can't wait to read it! :)

      Delete
  4. Thanks so much for hosting! I love the blog post today! Good points to remember, and practice! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Debbie! You have a great week too. This year is going fast, I can't believe it's October already!

      Delete
  5. It is a good feeling to go through and declutter!! I go through things and box up and get rid of, every so often, yet I am a "stuff" person, because I will see things online or in stores that just look like fun or would be handy to have! :) Finding the balance..........and just saying no at times! Sometimes I think it would be nice to be a person who is just natured as a minimalist, yet there are things about it that just aren't me either and I would miss! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, you nailed it! Sometimes we just have to say "no" but sometimes it's hard, lol!

      My grandmother was a minimalist, she didn't have much of anything out. I don't like a lot of clutter but I do like a few decor items or plants around to warm the place up a bit!

      Delete
  6. I often do this especially in my children's room. Thanks a lot for sharing and hosting. Do have a super blessed day!
    Love

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's always a good idea with kid's rooms, isn't it. They always seem to be acquiring lots of new stuff. I remember every time we went to McDonald's they'd get a new toy. Eventually I said they had to get rid of an old toy before we'd go to McDonald's and get a new one, lol!

      Delete
  7. Great tips and advice. Just linked up my post about how to get and stay organized. Need to make sure I'm following my own advice. Following you via Facebook too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! I love organization! Can't wait to read it. Lol to following your own advice.....me too, my friend!

      Delete
  8. One of the best things I do is offer to help people move on a regular basis. As I help pack and move boxes and boxes of unnecessary STUFF, it helps motivate me to go home and clean out my cupboards and closets and attic. It's like purging before a move without actually having to move! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow. Where were YOU when I was packing up my mom's stuff a couple of weeks ago? ;)

      I have a friend who says she watches an episode of Hoarders and that it inspires her to go clean something. Lol!

      Delete
  9. Great post! Stuff and clutter are definitely issues needing to be dealt with! I'm linked up & following by email, & I hope you'll consider following Saved by Grace as well! Thanks for hosting & God bless,
    Laurie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh how fun! I will totally pop over for a visit soon as I can! Thanks for linking up, can't wait to read it!

      Delete
  10. Nan...Stuff can definitely trip us up but I agree that praying before purchasing things is the key to helping us be wise in what we buy. Thank you for the encouragement friend and for the link up. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I love that idea! Totally. I think another good idea is to put something in your cart (if you're at the store) and think about it while you're walking around in the store.

      Oftentimes, just giving in to it by putting it in your cart will get you over that "must have" and you will be able to put it back instead of buying it.

      At least, it works for me! I wind up putting half my cart back, haha.

      Delete

So glad you stopped by today! Please feel free to subscribe to my blog and/or follow me on facebook. The links are at the bottom of each post.

Thank you for leaving a comment. I love hearing from you! Please keep it nice and sweet and family friendly so I don't have to delete!

Please don't leave a link to your blog (or anyone else's) in your comment. Due to google's new comment spam policy, any comments with links will have to be deleted to protect both you and me!