Welcome to the Making Your Home Sing Monday linky party! Every day you are doing something to make your house into a home for yourself and your family (if you have one).
My point with each Monday post is, what are YOU doing or going to do today to make your home sing? It can be an attitude or an action. So have fun, do some blog hopping, and link up! Thanks!
Note: We had 89 linkups last week! You guys are awesome! Don't forget to visit one another and try to leave a comment on at least one blog to encourage someone today! :)
Do you ever find yourself struggling between the desire to have a clean house versus the desire to actually CLEAN the house? I've been there! Have YOU been there? Haven't we all at one point or another?
Sometimes we can feel guilty or embarrassed if our house or kitchen or bathrooms (or other rooms) aren't clean and we start making excuses for them. Have you ever made any of these excuses below? Have you ever heard someone else make these excuses?
WHAT ARE YOUR EXCUSES?
- I'm too tired to clean.
- I'm too busy.
- It's really not that bad.
- I will do it tomorrow.
- I don't have time.
- ________'s house is messier than mine is.
- The kids mess it up faster than I can clean it.
- I don't like cleaning.
- It never STAYS clean.
- I keep making excuses.
- I don't know where to start.
- It's just too big a mess to finish in one day.
Are any of these excuses a favorite of yours? My favorite one is #4. The ever popular and always hopeful "tomorrow." I also am particularly fond of #1 and #2.
I can be really good sometimes at making excuses. But I can also be really good at shooting down my own excuses, and sometimes we need to do that if we're going to get anything done around the house.
Below are a couple of the responses that I've said to myself in the past whenever I tried to get away with making an excuse, plus I added a few more. You can be as sarcastic to yourself as I was with myself or be more gentle! ;)
Try these answers next time you find yourself trying to talk yourself out of cleaning when you know you need to do it.
- I'm too tired to clean. Really? Are you too tired to go shopping, play on the computer or have lunch with your best friend? Because I bet you'd find the energy to go out if your friend called.
- I'm too busy. Doing what? Playing around on facebook? Reading that magazine? Surfing the net? Please.
- It's really not that bad. Compared to WHAT?
- I will do it tomorrow. Isn't that what you said yesterday?
- I don't have time. That's funny, because you certainly find the time to do most of the stuff that you LIKE to do.
- ____________'s house is messier than mine is. So? If she jumped off a bridge would you jump off it too? This is not a competition, my friend.
- The kids mess it up faster than I can clean it. So have the kids pick up their stuff while YOU pick up yours and give them some regular chores to do. It's called training.....you should try it sometime! (This answer is proof that I can get real sarcastic with myself sometimes, lol!)
- I don't think I like cleaning. All the more reason to get it over with. Make it fun! Set a timer and race the timer until you're done. Remember, you're a big girl now. You don't have to like something in order to do it. That's where discipline and responsibility come in.
- It never STAYS clean. So what's the point? Your car never stays full of gas so what's the point of filling it up again? Your tummy never stays full but you don't stop eating because of it, do you? Your hair never stays clean so why wash it if it's only going to get dirty again? You need to be consistent in your excuses here.
- I keep making excuses. So STOP making them!!!
- I don't know where to start. It really doesn't matter where you start. Just START.
- It's just too big a mess to finish in one day. Don't worry about finishing all of it. You don't have to finish today. Just do what you can. Every little bit helps.
I don't always like to clean but I do like a clean house. So my excuses are just getting me further and further away from what I actually want.
Excuses are a poor substitute for action and drive us further away from our goals.
Note: One day I didn't feel like cleaning up my kitchen and started making excuses to myself to avoid cleaning it. Then I amused myself by writing the blog post you just read. So maybe I should have listed "I have to write a blog post" as an excuse......... ;) For the record, I went and cleaned my kitchen after writing the blog post. How could I not?
Do you have any favorite excuses that I didn't list?
What are you doing or going to do today to make your home sing? Please go here for instructions and/or ideas and come back here to link up to join us today! Please do not put your own "Making Your Home Sing Monday" Linky on your blog.
I am linking up to these linky parties: