Sunday, August 18, 2013

The Sidetracked Cleaner & MYHSM Linky Party


Making your home sing Mondays


Welcome to the Making Your Home Sing Monday linky party! Every day you are doing something to make your house into a home for yourself and your family (if you have one). 

My point with each Monday post is, what are YOU doing or going to do today to make your home sing?  It can be an attitude or an action. So have fun, do some blog hopping, and link up!  Thanks!


Topics can include marriage, parenting, encouraging women, organization, cleaning, saving money, our behavior and attitudes, homemaking, homeschooling, recipes....the opportunities are endless.


Note:  We had 107 linkups last week which is awesome!  Don't forget to visit one another and try to leave a comment on at least one blog to encourage someone today!  :)


Image courtesy of Grant Cochrane at FreeDigitalPhotos.net

I have perfectionist tendencies, love to be "in control" and I love to organize.  What that means is that whenever I have someone coming over, you might find me obsessing over something small that no one will ever see, and ignoring the big stuff.

For example, if someone is coming to your house you would probably focus on dusting, vacuuming and making sure the "public" areas are neat and orderly.  So you will make sure your kitchen, living room and bathrooms are clean.

I will plan to focus on that too.  But then my sidetracked and perfectionist side will kick in, and I will begin to unload the dishwasher and notice that one of the cupboards or drawers is messy and all of a sudden I am deep in the throes of organizing that cupboard.

Or I will be in the bathroom making sure it is clean and "company" ready and suddenly I am sorting through the medicines to see if any of it has expired.

In attempting to get the living room cleaned I will put away the load of laundry that I folded.  The next thing I know I am straightening my closet.

I KNOW that these things are low on the priority, but I always think that I will have more time than I do.  I always underestimate my ability to NOT get sidetracked and I lose track of the time.

So if I'm not careful, what can happen is that it's getting close to the time when people are arriving and I've got messy counters in the kitchen, dog hair all over the floor, and makeup all over my bathroom counter.  But my kitchen drawer, medicine cupboard, and closet look good!

Unfortunately my friends won't see that.  I can get sidetracked just as easily in my every day cleaning as well.


Image courtesy of David Castillo Dominici at FreeDigitalPhotos.net

When you have a lot to do and things seem overwhelming and out of control or you're stressed, it's so easy to just focus on one thing.  Just ONE thing that you can do well and have control over.  Just one thing that you can do from start to finish that might even STAY that way for longer than five minutes.

Which is a great idea and why I find myself doing it.  Except that it doesn't help in my goal to get my home neat and ready for company in a hurry.  It helps my desire to focus on one thing instead of many things.  It helps my desire to stay in one place and not be running around like a chicken with its head cut off.

It helps my desire to complete something that I can see the results of.  Finished.  Done.  I can SEE all that I have done and have a sense of satisfaction.  But it doesn't help me get my living room, kitchen or bathrooms cleaned and ready for company.

What about you? Do you find yourself getting ready for company by cleaning out the garage, when you really should probably be focusing on the inside of the house instead?  You're not alone.  Welcome to the club!

Today let's do focused cleaning.  Pick one thing PER ROOM to clean and write it down so you don't get sidetracked.  Writing it down will meet your desire to focus on one thing and will also keep you from getting sidetracked.

When you're done cleaning that ONE THING cross it off and write down another thing.  Make sure you keep your priorities in order and don't write down "clean the baseboards" when you KNOW you really need to do the dishes.

If you're having trouble staying focused and keep getting distracted, check out my post "10 Ways To Avoid Getting Sidetracked While You're Cleaning," stay focused and make your home sing!


If you don't want to miss any blogs posts, you can subscribe
by 
RSS, Bloglovin, Feedly
Facebook or Email 

I'd love to connect with you!



I am linking up to these linky parties:


TheBetterMom.comWhat Joy Is MinePhotobucketHappy Wives ClubLiving Proverbs 31i should be mopping the floor photo e70fb310-7eb7-4908-bb0e-cac50857a9bb.jpgThe Alabaster JarThe Life Of Faith photo NEWRIButton275x150_zpsf908716b.jpg 125 Titus 2 Tuesday ButtonCourtship Connection Teaching What Is Good Messy MarriageDucks 'n a RowFamily Home and Lifehttp://www.wildernesswife.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/Wicked-Good-Wednesday-Blog-Hop-Button.jpgWise-Woman-Builds  All Things with Purposekatherines corner PhotobucketMissional Womenhttp://christianmommyblogger.comHappyandBlessedHome.com Please save image and put it in your post or on your sidebar.Faithful Friday Blog Hop Share The Love

16 comments:

  1. I do love making lists and scratching them off when I'm done. Such power! :) Thanks for these great tips, Nan as well as for hosting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I love making lists too! They help me remember so I don't forget and the best part is being able to cross it off when it's done, lol!

      Delete
  2. How did you know that I get so sidetracked? What a great post as Monday rolls around again!! Thanks so much for hosting again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, my friend! Boy, this last week flew by really fast, probably because I was so busy, lol!

      Delete
  3. Have you read "Sink Reflections"? It's a book about housekeeping that really helped me and I think you will love it!

    Lindsey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lindsey, yes I have read it. It's a fun book, isn't it? I am MUCH better at staying focused than I used to be. But I know myself and my ability to get sidetracked so I HAVE to stay focused, lol!

      Delete
  4. I get side-tracked so easily! I tend to forget what I originally set out to do :) Great tips, Nan- thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh me too. I can walk into a room and then wonder why I went in there in the first place, lol!

      Delete
  5. I was laughing so hard because your description is EXACTLY spot on for me! (My husband says I don't have ADHD, I have ADOS... attention deficit oooooh, shiny!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahahaha, please tell your husband I LOVE that, lol! I have to remember that one, haha.

      Delete
  6. This is so funny to me because my husband is usually the one to get sidetracked. I'll get three rooms done to him getting only the foyer done because he takes everything out of the foyer, places it in a nearby room, like the laundry room and then sweep the floor, then gets on his hands and knees and wipes the floor with clorox wipes, then he swiffers it. LOL And usually he leaves everything that was supposed to go back in the foyer in the laundry room because usually our visitors have arrived...

    thanks for posting and hosting. I really appreciate your blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh God bless him! He certainly is thorough, isn't it? Lol!

      I think men get so "serious" when we ask them to clean that they do overkill instead of doing it quickly, lol!

      Delete
  7. I am the same way I have to have my list. Well that and my timer. Thank you for hosting :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, I love my timer. Makes things much more fun and helps me stay on target, lol!

      Delete
  8. Nan...I am the worst at getting sidetracked when doing something else more important. Hahaha! I have to constantly be working on that downfall of mine. Thank you for the tip to pick one thing and do it to completion. And thank you for the link up again this week. Praying you have a fabulous week my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh me too, lol! I figure knowing my sidetracked nature is a great help and a great way to keep me on track, haha. I hope you do too, my dear!

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I love hearing from you! Please keep it nice and sweet and family friendly so I don't have to delete!

Please don't leave a link to your blog (or anyone else's) in your comment. Due to google's new comment spam policy, any comments with links will have to be deleted to protect both you and me!

So I'd still love to hear from you! Just don't type out a link to share! ;)