Sunday, August 4, 2013

Erase The Evidence & MYHSM Linky Party

Making your home sing Mondays

Welcome to the Making Your Home Sing Monday linky party! Every day you are doing something to make your house into a home for yourself and your family (if you have one). 

My point with each Monday post is, what are YOU doing or going to do today to make your home sing?  It can be an attitude or an action. So have fun, do some blog hopping, and link up!  Thanks!


Topics can include marriage, parenting, encouraging women, organization, cleaning, saving money, our behavior and attitudes, homemaking, homeschooling, recipes....the opportunities are endless.


Note:  We had 98 linkups last week which is awesome!  I'm sorry I wasn't able to visit all of you, but I do thank you and appreciate you linking up!  Don't forget to visit one another and try to leave a comment on at least one blog to encourage someone today!  :)


Have you ever walked into a hotel room and just thought about how CLEAN it looks?  And then a day or so later thought about how messy it looks now?

Clothes, shoes, pop cans, chip bags, sunglasses, suntan lotion, makeup and all that stuff scattered everywhere.  Of course, most of us don't care about how our hotel room looks, right?  We're on vacation.

But how many of us live like we're on vacation when we're at HOME?


Take a moment and look around you right now as you read this.  What is out of place?  What do you see that doesn't belong in the room that you are in?  Do you see garbage anywhere?  What do you see?

As I type this I see two packets of instant oatmeal, a box of Krispy Kremes, a rolodex, an empty box of Dots candy, a piece of chocolate candy, a greeting card, a bag of chips, a camera, an empty water bottle, some papers, a receipt, a notebook, a marker, and a set of hand weights.  All on top of the table.

(I also find it somewhat humorous that there's Krispy Kremes (the guys bought them), chips, chocolate candy, Dots candy and then an attempt to ward it all off and "get into shape" with hand weights, lol!)

What do YOU see around you?

The problem begins when we go to bed without erasing the evidence of our day.  Then we wake up to yesterday's evidence of a busy day, and begin a new day of busyness and all the clutter and "stuff" that IT entails.  It just keeps piling up.

Pretty soon you have one solid week's worth of "evidence" that you have lived, that you have existed, that you have been busy working, having fun, enjoying your family, enjoying life. 

But do we really want an empty box of Krispy Kreme's to be the proof of that?  (O.k., maybe I do....)

And it's all there in your house, lying around for everyone to see.  Including you.  Day after day.  Piling up.

So unless we want to spend our weekends digging out, or NEVER dig out and live on permanent vacation mode, we have got to find a way to deal with this "stuff."

To me, the best way is to erase the evidence.  Just simply walk around each night, and put away the things that you left out during the day.  I generally do this throughout the day to make it easier, but there's always something to pick up that last hour or two.

Image courtesy of AKARAKINGDOMS at FreeDigitalPhotos.net

When the kids were little we had a whole house pick up at 7:00 p.m.  For 15 minutes we just ran around the house and picked up and put away.  The kids would put their toys away, put away shoes or backpacks or whatever, and hubby and I would return dishes to the kitchen and load in the d.w., straighten pillows, put books away, etc.  We all worked together for a quick pickup before bed.

We don't have an "official" family pick up now because my kids are older and there's no set time for everyone to pick up, plus many times I go to bed before they do!  Ideally, everyone is supposed to pick up after themselves.  I say "supposed to" because even I have my moments!

Years ago I started something that I called "closing the kitchen." It just meant that the kitchen was clean and it had BETTER stay that way for the rest of the evening, lol!  It was just a way of reminding the kids to bring their dishes to the kitchen, load them in the dishwasher and clean up after themselves.  That way I didn't wake up to a messy kitchen courtesy of my children!  ;)

How about you?  Do you have any kitchen "rules?"  Do YOU erase the evidence?  If you don't, try it today and make your home sing!

What are you doing or going to do today to make your home sing? Please go here for instructions and/or ideas and come back here to link up to join us today! Please do not put your own "Making Your Home Sing Monday" Linky on your blog.


If you don't want to miss any blogs posts, you can subscribe
by 
RSS, Bloglovin, Feedly
Facebook or Email 

I'd love to connect with you!
.


I am linking up to these linky  parties:


TheBetterMom.comWhat Joy Is MinePhotobucketHappy Wives ClubLiving Proverbs 31i should be mopping the floor photo e70fb310-7eb7-4908-bb0e-cac50857a9bb.jpg
The Alabaster JarThe Life Of Faith photo NEWRIButton275x150_zpsf908716b.jpg 125 Titus 2 Tuesday ButtonCourtship ConnectionTeaching What Is Good Messy MarriageDucks 'n a RowFamily Home and Lifehttp://www.wildernesswife.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/Wicked-Good-Wednesday-Blog-Hop-Button.jpgWise-Woman-Builds  All Things with Purposekatherines corner PhotobucketMissional Womenhttp://christianmommyblogger.comHappyandBlessedHome.com Please save image and put it in your post or on your sidebar.Faithful Friday Blog Hop Share The Love

28 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for hosting! BTW, that is a great rule "Kitchen Closed"! It teaches respect and responsibility. And they learn to take care of themselves!

    ReplyDelete
  2. At our house we call our pick-up times, house cleanup. We don't have a certain time and don't necessarily do it every day. When things are getting too messy and out-of-place I tell the kiddos that house clean-up is on their list for the day. It's amazing how quickly things CAN be straightened around. It always looks like a bigger job than it is. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, especially when you all work together at cleaning up! I agree, we always think it's going to take more time than it does, lol!

      Delete
  3. I agree -- I tried to do this "Maximize Your Morning" series, but I found if I maximize my night -- pick up before I go to bed, then I don't waste the first 2 hours of every day trying to get everyone going AND everything cleaned up. There's a lot of value to "closing down" the house!!

    Lindsey at Growing Kids Ministry Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You hit the nail on the head, Lindsey. A successful morning starts the night before! That's why I like to clean up the kitchen and pick up around the house!

      Delete
  4. I also have to announce that the kitchen is closed. Some days I feel like I just get done and then someone is asking for something else to eat! Great tips- thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean. My teens are in and out of the kitchen after I "close it down," lol! It just means that they are on their own in regards to cleaning up, lol!

      Delete
  5. I loved your thoughts on erasing the evidence. Such a great reminder to keep things neat and tidy before going to bed...it makes the following morning so much more pleasant! Thanks so much for stopping by my blog and leaving encouragement behind! God's peace be with you, Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it does. Thanks for stopping by and saying hello!

      Delete
  6. I agree this is so important! It really helps me start my new day in a better mood to have things picked up from the day before! That way my day is fresh without "leftovers" from the previous day. Less work and a more restful day! I especially like the "picture" of your table given with the hand weights!! Thanks for hosting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh me too. I don't like playing catch up in the morning either!

      Delete
  7. Erase the evidence - love it! This week my goal is to load and run the dishwasher every night. It'll help get the day started off right each morning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great goal and you will totally appreciate it every morning!

      Delete
  8. Ah, those 15 minute speed tidies have saved us more than once from the Evidence Backup. Need to reinstate those, I'm thinking! Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! I miss us all running around at the same time and picking up like we used to do. People still try and pick up after themselves but we don't do it all at the same time.

      Delete
  9. It's so interesting that you posted about this - my post today is about the realization that I am a hoarder. I don't put away the evidence - ever. You know my struggles through the years with organization and cleanliness. I will certainly use this advice this week. Love you my sweet friend, God Bless You!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so proud of you!!! You can DO this! Have you ever read my "Conquering The Messies" series on my blog? You aren't alone, my friend.

      I still remember the piles of unfolded laundry, newspapers, dirty dishes,and more papers and just STUFF that I had on my tables, counters, hutch, couch and floors.

      I dug my way out of my mess and you will too. It's just a matter of establishing habits.

      Make a habit of putting something away when you're done with it. Every time. Start today.

      Put away your supplies when you make breakfast, lunch and dinner. Put away your brush and grooming supplies. Put away your pajamas.

      Put away what's in your hand now and that will keep things from getting worse while you're organizing and decluttering!

      Thanks so much for linking up today! Love you too!

      Delete
  10. I definitely need to institute a whole house pickup. Thanks for this encouragement and for hosting the link-up again! I've linked up my dairy and sugar-free strawberry (or vanilla) ice cream as well as how to use it to make a new treat we've discovered called knickerbocker glories. Have a magnificent week!
    Tina from mommynificent.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh girl, that sounds amazing! Can't wait to pop over and read about it. I have to say that I love both strawberry and vanilla ice cream!

      Delete
  11. Being the neat freak you know that I am ... my house is pretty clean. There is currently some crap on the kitchen table but that will go out the door with Brian when he leaves for work {thank god!} It's messing with the aesthetics!

    Thank you for linking to Raising Imperfection.
    Please come back Friday to see if you were featured. :)

    ¤´¨)
    ¸.•*´
    (¸¤ Lanaya | xoxo
    Raising-Reagan.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always say that my children's shoes don't go with my decor, haha! And now that they are young adults their shoes are bigger, lol!

      Delete
  12. I used to have a time before supper when the kids picked up. They don't make such big messes now and I can't 'close' the kitchen now because of work/college schedules...but I don't like finding a pile of dishes to start off my day in the morning. It isn't too bad and it has taught me a LOT in the process.

    I made my home sing today by setting the house back in order after getting back after midnight last night. I made it easier by putting most of the stuff away last night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you! I have stayed up late before too to finish cleaning my kitchen or do something else. It's always a bit tiring to stay up late and do it but it's always so nice to come into a clean kitchen (or whatever) in the morning!

      My boys have those weird schedules too. When i say "close" I just mean that it's me saying that the kitchen is closed and I want to make sure they put their stuff away so I don't have to see it in the morning! ;)

      Delete
  13. I don't have any children in the home, just me and the husband and a dog. It's pretty easy to pick up after them. My husband is very neat - thank you, Lord. But these are all wonderful ideas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kim! Yes, kids definitely add some challenge to a home, lol! But so can dogs and all their toys and THEY don't pick up after themselves, lol!

      Delete
  14. I absolutely love the way you put this. I need to start cleaning up my evidence more! I need to just stop making excuses and give the house a walk through each evening. Thank you for this convicting post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your sweet comment, my friend! I love what you said about needing to stop making excuses because I know that we can all relate to that as we all do it from time to time, at least I know I do! :)

      Delete

So glad you stopped by today! Please feel free to subscribe to my blog and/or follow me on facebook. The links are at the bottom of each post.

Thank you for leaving a comment. I love hearing from you! Please keep it nice and sweet and family friendly so I don't have to delete!

Please don't leave a link to your blog (or anyone else's) in your comment. Due to google's new comment spam policy, any comments with links will have to be deleted to protect both you and me!