Sunday, July 14, 2013

5 Tips To Finish What You Start & MYHSM Linky Party

Making your home sing Mondays

Welcome to the Making Your Home Sing Monday linky party! Every day you are doing something to make your house into a home for yourself and your family (if you have one). 

My point with each Monday post is, what are YOU doing or going to do today to make your home sing?  It can be an attitude or an action. So have fun, do some blog hopping, link up and don't forget to give a link back to this post!  Thanks!


Topics can include marriage, parenting, encouraging women, organization, cleaning, saving money, our behavior and attitudes, homemaking, homeschooling, recipes....the opportunities are endless.


Note:  We had 85 linkups last week which is awesome!  Don't forget to visit one another and try to leave a comment on at least one blog to encourage someone today!  :)

I've been wanting to do a post about procrastination but I keep putting it off.........

Do you ever get overly enthusiastic about a cleaning or organizing project and get everything out but fail to follow through?

It's so easy to get excited about organizing a room or a closet and start dragging everything out of it, only to lose your energy and enthusiasm before you're even halfway through.

I remember wanting to organize the kid's toy closet once when they were younger.  I was all excited and enthusiastic and couldn't wait to get started.

I began by removing everything that was on the floor and things that were tossed onto some of the lower shelves (instead of put in their correct bin or storage container) and dragging it all into the family room.

By the time I cleared the floor and two lower shelves I was no longer enthused about it.  I no longer wanted to do it and I had barely even started!

Sometimes we procrastinate on the follow through.  We are good beginners but poor finishers.  We get excited about the idea of it but not excited about the work part of it.

We're good about getting things started but we're lousy about finishing up. Suddenly what started out as fun has turned into WORK!

We can walk around our homes and see little bits of things that we BEGAN but we've been putting off on finishing.


Image courtesy of Sura Nualpradid at FreeDigitalPhotos.net

All along we think our problem is starting but it isn't.  It's finishing!  We don't finish what we start. We have to find a way to keep going.

There's a reason that there is a "finish line" at the end of a race.  People are excited to start the race, but they need to know where the end is.

They need to know that there is an END to it so that they can aim for it and race for it, and reach for that goal.  They need to know when the race is over so they can move onto something else.

Otherwise, they might just wander around the neighborhood looking for the banner that signifies the end of the race.  They would keep stumbling around, never finding the finish line and eventually just give up.



Image courtesy of Ambro at FreeDigitalPhotos.net

Don't give up!  Finish what you start!

1.  When you start a project, don't take out more than you can easily put back.  Only take out what you can put back in a half hour or an hour.  That way, if life gets in the way and you suddenly find yourself hosting a dinner party, your guests won't have to walk around the contents of your coat closet or sit on the floor because the furniture is filled with contents from the closet.  Which leads me to #2......

2. Process what you're pulled out BEFORE you pull out more.  Don't get carried away.  Use baskets or bags to make piles of  things Keep, Give Away, Throw Away and Undecided and process things as you go.

3.  Don't start more than one organizing project at a time.  Stick to one task.  It's easy to trash one room or one area and lose your enthusiasm and go off and find something else to "organize" instead.

4. If you're having trouble finishing what you started, set a timer and work on it a little bit every day.  Sometimes we have to use a little motivation to get the job done.  A timer is a great idea because the time is limited.  You can work hard, knowing that there is going to be an ending to it soon. You can work hard for 15 minutes, can't you?

5.  Use those little minutes.  Don't wait for big blocks of time that may never come.  Don't use time as your excuse, otherwise you're probably going to be living with those unfinished projects for a very long time.  Just use the little blocks of time that you have.


5 minutes x 6 days a week = 30 minutes of work that week.


15 minutes x 6 days a week = 90 minutes of work that week.

30 minutes x 6 days a week = 3 hours of work that week.



Image courtesy of Stuart Miles at FreeDigitalPhotos.net


Use the little minutes that you have, don't take on more than you can handle that day, and finish what you start and make your home sing this week!


"Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a huge crowd of witnesses to the life of faith, let us strip off every weight that slows us down, especially the sin that so easily trips us up. And let us run with endurance the race God has set before us." Hebrews 12:1 (NLT)



What are you doing or going to do today to make your home sing? Please go here for instructions and/or ideas and come back here to link up to join us today! Please do not put your own "Making Your Home Sing Monday" Linky on your blog. As always, please don't forget to link to this post so that others can join the fun! 

If you don't want to miss any blogs posts, you can subscribe
by 
RSS, Bloglovin, Feedly
Facebook or Email 

I'd love to connect with you!





I am linking up to these linky parties:


TheBetterMom.comWhat Joy Is MinePhotobucketHappy Wives ClubLiving Proverbs 31i should be mopping the floor photo e70fb310-7eb7-4908-bb0e-cac50857a9bb.jpg
The Alabaster JarThe Life Of Faith photo NEWRIButton275x150_zpsf908716b.jpg  125 Titus 2 Tuesday ButtonGrowing HomeCourtship ConnectionTeaching What Is Good Messy MarriageDucks 'n a RowFamily Home and Lifehttp://www.wildernesswife.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/Wicked-Good-Wednesday-Blog-Hop-Button.jpgWise-Woman-Builds  All Things with Purposekatherines corner PhotobucketMissional Womenhttp://christianmommyblogger.comHappyandBlessedHome.com Please save image and put it in your post or on your sidebar.Faithful Friday Blog Hop

32 comments:

  1. Excellent, excellent post! I love starting projects, but it MUCH harder to finish than start! I especially like the thought of not taking out more than you can handle at one time.

    For myself, I hardly ever have large blocks of time to do a project, so I need to take things a bit at a time if I'm ever going to get anything done.

    Thanks for the post!

    Lisa
    www.thecourageousjourney.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lisa! Yes, I don't usually get those large blocks of time either, so I like to take advantage of those little minutes too!

      Delete
  2. Such helpful tips as always, Nan! I especially like tip #5. I've used that idea when cleaning my kitchen, but not so much when I think of organizing my (still) unorganized back bedroom and storage room in my basement. :) I think I'll try this and see if I can get somewhere. Thanks for hosting too, sweet friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh it will totally work, Beth! I've done lots of projects that way!

      The key is to not get discouraged at the lack of "instant gratification" because the progress is slow, and keep plugging away. Eventually you will see results!

      Delete
  3. This was a terrific post!! I've done that!! I did it recently while my husband was away, well he came back early and our room was still a mess!! You are getting better and better at these posts. Wow!!

    Thanks for sharing this over at WholeHearted Home this past week and I look forward to you stopping by to linkup again this coming week.

    My blog button is working now in case you would like to add it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have done the same thing! Things just got away from me that day with a project I was doing.

      Hubby came home late and tired and I had removed the bed sheets but hadn't replaced the new ones yet, lol! He was nice about it but he had to wait for me to replace the sheets before he could go to bed, lol!

      I haven't added your blog button yet because I haven't shared this post on your blog yet! :)

      Delete
  4. Nan,

    I love how you've charted the "little minutes." How much we can accomplish if we are sensitive to the littles that add up to much. I encourage women to begin reading their Bibles only 5 minutes a day. By the end of the year, they will have logged over 30 hours of Bible reading. If they read for 15 minutes a day, at the end of a year, that's over 90 hours of Bible reading. Imagine how much wiser we'd be with that amount of time in the Word!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I LOVE that, Lori! Yes, just imagine!

      Delete
  5. I read this as I look at my toy room in the basement... sigh... thanks for the kick in the pants to do something about it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I sympathize, my friend! As I mentioned earlier in the post, there was that time when I dragged all those toys out and then lost my mo-jo, lol!

      Delete
  6. Great post, Mom! I need to read this often.
    I tend to bite off more than I can chew. I am setting goals each day until we get back to our school schedule, so we can eat that elephant one bite at a time.
    Today I have 2 boxes of junk that needs sorting and purging. Everyone will dive in and have it cleared before Dad gets home!
    thanks for the encouragement!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome, Linda! I always used to love having the kids help me with something and surprising their dad with it! :)

      I like setting those little goals too and using those small blocks of time to "eat that elephant" too!

      Delete
  7. Hi, I love your blog. Found it through one of my Monday Hops. Hope you check me out. Great tips on finishing what you started. I really need to follow through on stuff, but I am blogging to much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the invite, Mary! I will be happy to pop over for a visit soon! Always fun to make new bloggy friends! :)

      Delete
  8. Thanks for hosting. I'm so glad I found your blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for linking up, Lexie! I'm so glad you found me too! Always love making new friends! :)

      Delete
  9. Using the little minutes is definitely key. Without those I would never get anything done,

    Thank you for linking to Raising Imperfection.
    Please come back Friday to see if you were featured. :)

    ¤´¨)
    ¸.•*´
    (¸¤ Lanaya | xoxo
    Raising-Reagan.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, Lanaya! I am always thankful for those little minutes!

      Delete
  10. Great tips! I can SO guilty of that on many days!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I need to try the timer trick, I think it would work well for me getting things done.

    Thank you for linking up to Raising Imperfection! We appreciate you taking the time to link up, make sure to check back on Friday when we feature out favorites.
    Leslie
    www.violetimperfection.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I love my timer. I would have that thing surgically installed if I could, lol!

      Delete
  12. I like those words "Don't give up"!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, my friend! I think we all need to remind ourselves of that sometimes, don't we?

      Delete
  13. Some great tips! Visiting from Faith-filled Friday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Debbie. So glad you stopped by!

      Delete
  14. Hi, Nan, following you on Bloglovin, Twitter, and Facebook. It's hot here in Connecticut! Linda
    www.craftsalamode.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the follow, Linda! It's hot here too, although it's only in the 80's but that's hot to ME! ;)

      Delete
  15. Thank you for sharing at the Thursday Favorite Things Hop xo

    ReplyDelete
  16. You are truly awesome! You break things down into such bite-sized portions that even overachievers (like me) who burn out (that's me, too) can handle. Thanks so much for keeping it real and reasonable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your sweet comment, my friend! I have to break it down or I won't finish it, lol!

      Delete

So glad you stopped by today! Please feel free to subscribe to my blog and/or follow me on facebook. The links are at the bottom of each post.

Thank you for leaving a comment. I love hearing from you! Please keep it nice and sweet and family friendly so I don't have to delete!

Please don't leave a link to your blog (or anyone else's) in your comment. Due to google's new comment spam policy, any comments with links will have to be deleted to protect both you and me!