Sunday, June 16, 2013

Cool Off Those Cluttered Hot Spots & MYHSM Linky Party


Making your home sing Mondays


Welcome to the Making Your Home Sing Monday linky party! Every day you are doing something to make your house into a home for yourself and your family (if you have one). 

My point with each Monday post is, what are YOU doing or going to do today to make your home sing?  It can be an attitude or an action. So have fun, do some blog hopping, link up and don't forget to give a link back to this post!  Thanks!


Topics can include marriage, parenting, encouraging women, organization, cleaning, saving money, our behavior and attitudes, homemaking, homeschooling, recipes....the opportunities are endless.


Note:  We had 85 linkups last week which is awesome!  Don't forget to visit one another and try to leave a comment on at least one blog to encourage someone today!  :)


Isn't it amazing how our eyes can get so used to seeing something that we no longer "see" it?  Isn't it amazing how our bodies can get so used to walking around an obstacle that we no longer SEE it as an obstacle?  At first we will trip over it, but eventually our bodies will automatically adjust and we will walk around it, every time.

Isn't it amazing how our minds can get so used to trying to ignore something that we no longer have to TRY to ignore it?  We just ignore it automatically?  Isn't it amazing how clutter can "disappear" and we no longer even notice it, even though it's right in our face?

Don't believe me?  Go get a piece of paper and a pen right now and come back.  Don't worry, I'll wait.

Got it?  Good.  Let's go!

Walk into your living room and/or family room right now and look around.  Look at your couch and chairs.  Check the coffee table, end tables and any other tops of furniture you have in there.  Look around you.  Don't forget to look up and look at the walls too.  Check the floors as well.

What doesn't belong in there?  Write it down on your paper, write the item and where it is currently located.  Not where it SHOULD be located but where it is currently located.

Do you have more than one thing that doesn't belong in there? What things are in that room that you walk by every day and no longer see them anymore?  Write them down.  Are they scattered throughout the room or sort of gathered in one spot?  Write that down too. Your list might look something like this:



Forgot about that Christmas decoration, didn't you?  It's been there so long you don't even see it anymore!  What about the coat.  Did you notice that?

Now go into the kitchen.  Look at your counter tops, stove and table, etc.  Look on top of your microwave.  Look on top of your fridge.  What is one thing that doesn't belong in there? Where is it located? Write it down.  Is there more than one thing?  Write them all down. Any special area that they're all gathered in?  Put that down too. 

Now go into your bedroom.  Look on top of your bed,  dresser, nightstands, etc.  Check the floor next to the bed (be sure and check both sides) and check your closet.  What things DON'T belong in your room?  Any special spots they're gathering in?  Write them down.

Again, don't forget to check the walls, ceiling and floor.  Did you forget that birthday balloon that has died a slow death over in the corner?  Did you forget that note you taped on the mirror or wall six months ago as a reminder to call the dentist?

Walk into your bathroom.  Look on the counters, sink, bathtub, etc.  Don't forget to check the floor and even the towel racks.  Anything in there that shouldn't be there?  Any laundry that should be in the laundry room?  Go ahead and quickly make your way through the rest of the house.

Now grab yourself a snack and sit down and look at your list.  If you are a regular reader of this blog or know anything about me at all you won't even need to ask what snack I think you should grab.......

In EACH room, circle the one spot that has the MOST things listed on it.  Does each room have a special clutter spot?  This is your target zone.  Your hot spot.  This is where you begin.  For example, in the living room list above, I would circle "coffee table."

Whatever YOU have circled has become your go-to spot in that room.  It's where you dump stuff whenever you have something in your hand that should be put away but isn't.  So you add it to your spot and then pretty soon you don't "see" it anymore.

Want to get rid of the hot spot?  Put it out, my friend!  Don't let it keep building and building until it's out of control.  Put it out now before that little hot spot becomes a raging inferno of clutter.

Don't have time to do a serious cleaning?  No problem.  I'm all about cleaning the Lazy Mom way!

Each day, go into ONE room and put all the out of place items into a laundry basket.  Set it some place where you'll walk by it several times a day, and then empty it throughout the day as you go about your homemaking duties.


Make a list of your hot spots.  Check those spots every day to make sure they are staying clutter free and neat.  Check out this list for more suggestions on how to keep those hot spots clean now and in the future.

Start cooling off those hot spots today and make your home sing!

What are you doing or going to do today to make your home sing? Please go here for instructions and/or ideas and come back here to link up to join us today! Please do not put your own "Making Your Home Sing Monday" Linky on your blog. As always, please don't forget to link to this post so that others can join the fun!

If you don't want to miss any blog posts, you can follow me or subscribe in your reader  or subscribe on Bloglovin, or by email.  You   can also find me here on facebook as well!  I'd love to connect with you!


I am linking up to these parties:


TheBetterMom.comWhat Joy Is MinePhotobucketHappy Wives ClubExceptionalistici should be mopping the floor photo e70fb310-7eb7-4908-bb0e-cac50857a9bb.jpg
The Alabaster JarThe Life Of Faith photo NEWRIButton275x150_zpsf908716b.jpgTeaching What Is Good125 Titus 2 Tuesday Button Growing HomeCourtship Connection  Messy MarriageDucks 'n a RowFamily Home and Lifehttp://www.wildernesswife.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/Wicked-Good-Wednesday-Blog-Hop-Button.jpgWise-Woman-Builds  All Things with Purposekatherines corner PhotobucketMissional Womenhttp://christianmommyblogger.comHappyandBlessedHome.com Please save image and put it in your post or on your sidebar.Also, We Are That Family and A Bowl Full Of Lemons

40 comments:

  1. Oh man, you're going where I don't want to go, Nan! I have a back bedroom that is a disaster as well as my storage room in my basement. Both of those rooms desperately need me to organize them, but because I can close the door to them, they go on month after month without a second glance. I know I've got to face up to the task--it just feels so overwhelming. I'll try to load up on those M&M's though. I'm certain they will help! :) Thanks for this great encouragement!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, load up on the m&m's, lol! I remember moving in here with my babies and just stashing stuff in the extra room and closing the door too, lol! So I can relate.

      Every time I walked by that closed door it BUGGED me!

      Break it down into little pieces. Work one area at a time for 15 minutes a day or 30 minutes a day or whatever. The little moments add up!

      I made my "keep," "trash" and "donate" boxes and sorted stuff into those boxes (or bags) and just worked away at my messy room a few minutes each day. Whatever I could squeeze in.

      I work well with music or watching t.v. It just makes it more fun and do-able, lol! ;)

      Delete
  2. I've got to do some major reno in my backyard. Dreading it! Thanks for hosting :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to LOVE working outside and weeding and prettying everything up, but it's no longer pleasurable to me, so I hear ya, girl!

      But I love a beautiful backyard. I just dread doing anything to get it that way, lol!

      Delete
  3. Isn't it amazing how we clean up our hot spots and then they appear again out of nowhere?? Thanks for the linkup party, Nan. Hope you had a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Girl, you know it. I swear that I will clean something and turn around and somehow something has already landed there.

      I blame the dog.......hope you had a lovely weekend too!

      Delete
  4. Wow, you've been reading my blog drafts haven't you? lol Just kidding but I have been working on post about clutter. :) Thanks for hosting this link up Nan!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Christmas decoration. I burst out laughing... can you see my house!?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I KNEW that there had to be somebody out there like me, lol! I just discovered one that was hanging there and I hadn't noticed it for months, lol!

      Delete
  6. Wonder why it is so easy to drop stuff instead of just taking the few extra moments to go ahead and put it away?!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, if we could figure out the answer to that we'd probably both be rich, lol! ;)

      Delete
  7. Found you via Beth at Messy Marriage. Love the name of your blog! I got this sense you were checking out my house this weekend. Even though we don't have small children anymore, we do tend to get cluttery. I like your idea, especially because we need to be very intentional about our stuff, since we will be moving once our house sells. Everything in its place. Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kim! So glad you stopped by! Yes, my kids are older now, too, and things can totally get all cluttered up if everyone's not careful!

      Delete
  8. Good morning! Thanks so much for the party. Hope you're enjoying the summer weather---I'm a cool weather girl, myself, but it's nice to let the kids play outside in the sunshine! I've posted my Homemaking Party and would love to have you link up, if you'd like.

    http://www.hopeineveryseason.com/2013/06/the-homemaking-party.html

    Blessings,
    Mrs. Sarah Coller

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've already linked up to it! Thanks again for hosting!

      Delete
  9. Hi Nan,
    Great post. I have a few hot spots and I can't just walk around it. I wish I could. They make me crazy. The problem is I am part of the problem. LOL

    Thanks for hosting. Bye for now, Darlene

    http://mylittleshopoftreasures.blogspot.ca
    http://darlenebnemeth.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh me too, girl! ;) Thanks for linking up!

      Delete
  10. That's a great idea! For me, it's my desk and the end table in the living room, the loveseat in the bedroom, and the counter in the kitchen--I didn't even have to make a list (I'm not even home!), but I know those are my trouble spots! Thanks for the encouragement to work on them more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have one particular counter in the kitchen that's a hot spot, so I have to monitor that thing like crazy or things will just pile up!

      Delete
  11. great tips as always ...

    I would love to see other moms splashed as well. We could use your ideas. Your tips. Your stories. Your photos. Your anything mom.

    I compose some notes on Monday. I get the momma schedules. So hop over any day of the week (think link up whenever it works best for you) and join us. Real moms. Sharing our notes. Creating a momma melody.

    Splashin' Momma,
    Sarah

    http://justsarahdawn.blogspot.com/2013/06/slosh-grace.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Already linked up! Thanks for hosting!

      Delete
  12. Oh, but I have so many of them, lol! I was doing so much better when I was participating in the Clean in 30 and then Clutter-Busting challenges. Alas, I don't hold myself accountable enough when I'm on my own. Time to step back up, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Charlene, don't you like the flylady challenges. I heard that she sends email challenges every day or something like that. Have you tried that?

      I, too, love to make a game or a challenge out of cleaning. That's why I race the timer! ;)

      Delete
  13. I like the tips on dealing with those inevitable hot spots! I do some of that already! thanks for this link-up and hope you'll join me for the Wednesday link-up at Deep Roots if you can! Blessings~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I already linked up last week so we're good to go! :)

      Delete
  14. Instead of Hot Spots, we have always been aware that the first flat object one encounters when coming into a room is usually the repository of stuff that doesn't belong. Amazingly, although I deliberately didn't put any tables near the door, my family still finds a place to deposit debris -- on the first flat object -- THE TELEVISION! Oh my! Thanks for sharing your strategy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, those flat surfaces are dangerous, lol! We have a table by the door and it has to be constantly checked. Everyone puts stuff on it, lol!

      Delete

  15. This is the day!!! Goona get that living room clutter under control! :) Thanks for the inspiration.

    Blessings,
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nice! This is usually how I clean; using hot spots. It's so much easier to manage it in chunks. Congrats on the super popular link up party. It just keeps growing and growing!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I agree. Thank you, my friend! I love reading what others are sharing. You should join us sometime! ;)

      Delete
  17. We move every two to three years with the military, so that is when I really notice the clutter we have allowed to build up. (moving again this week!) Love your ideas...thanks for the post! Keeping my eye out for hot spots in our new home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! I have a friend who is a military wife and she moves every couple of years too. Yes, moving will keep you on your toes! By the way, thank you and your husband for your service to our country, for I know that the family serves too. We are blessed to have people like your husband (and you)!

      Delete
  18. I am ALWAYS looking for clutter-control tips! With four kids, a sweet (but incredibly messy) husband, and a busy life, the clutter piles up quickly and makes me crazy at times! The laundry-basket-in-a-place-you'll-pass idea could be effective for me. Thanks for the tips!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my, you are busy! My mom used to say that we messed up the house faster than she could clean in, lol!

      Delete
  19. Always amazing tips ... you can keep my house singing any day.

    Thanks for splashing with us and linking up to splash other mommas as well.

    Just moms. Sharing our notes. Creating a melody.

    http://justsarahdawn.blogspot.com/2013/05/momma-notes.html

    Be blessed bunches,
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete

So glad you stopped by today! Please feel free to subscribe to my blog and/or follow me on facebook. The links are at the bottom of each post.

Thank you for leaving a comment. I love hearing from you! Please keep it nice and sweet and family friendly so I don't have to delete!

Please don't leave a link to your blog (or anyone else's) in your comment. Due to google's new comment spam policy, any comments with links will have to be deleted to protect both you and me!