Sunday, June 2, 2013

10 Ways To Keep Housework From Taking All Day & MYHSM Linky Party

Making your home sing Mondays


Welcome to the Making Your Home Sing Monday linky party! Every day you are doing something to make your house into a home for yourself and your family (if you have one). 

My point with each Monday post is, what are YOU doing or going to do today to make your home sing?  It can be an attitude or an action. So have fun, do some blog hopping, link up and don't forget to give a link back to this post!  Thanks!


Topics can include marriage, parenting, encouraging women, organization, cleaning, saving money, our behavior and attitudes, homemaking, homeschooling, recipes....the opportunities are endless.

Note:  We had 75 linkups last week which is awesome!  Don't forget to visit one another and try to leave a comment on at least one blog to encourage someone today!  :)


Do you find yourself getting frustrated because it seems like housework lasts all day?  Do you feel like you literally clean from the minute you get up to the moment you go to bed?  Do you feel like your work is never done?  Here are some ideas to try to keep housework from taking over your life.


1.  SET A CHORE CUT-OFF TIME 

It can be so tempting to work late into the evening, after all that's prime time, right?  The kids are in bed and hubby is reading the paper or watching t.v., so why not make use of those evening hours?  A load of laundry here, unloading the dishwasher there, a quick mopping of the floor, maybe alphabetizing the spices.  What's wrong with that?

If you're like me, you will add more things to do and try to accomplish more and more.  Soon you will find yourself all wound up and will have a hard time unwinding enough to get to sleep.  Not to mention missing alone time with your hubby.  For you, housework really WILL have lasted all day if you do that.

Try to avoid any heavy duty cleaning, laundry or any other chores after a certain time and YOU set the time.  For some it might be 7 p.m.  For others it might be 9 p.m.  Know when to quit.


2.  MAKE A CLEANING SCHEDULE

Some people thrive on schedules, some are horrified of them.  Your schedule can be as tight or as loose as you want.  It's YOUR schedule.  Make it work for you.

Having a schedule will keep you from adding more and more jobs into your day and overwhelming yourself. You will be less stressed and less tempted to overload your day when you are working from a schedule.  Go here to see my weekly schedule and here for some more tips.


3.  SET BENCHMARKS

Give yourself something to shoot for.

Morning chores done before noon.  Afternoon chores done before dinner.  Evening chores done two hours before bed. 


This way you will know what you are aiming for and will keep from dragging things out all day.  Having a time constraint will help keep you focused.


4.  BE AWARE OF WHEN YOU ARE PROCRASTINATING

Be sensitive to what jobs you are putting off and/or stretching out.  Some jobs take all day because we, in essence, want them to.  We put off, avoid, or stretch them out much longer than we need to because we just don't want to do them.  Reevaluate whether the job really needs to be done, done by YOU, or done as often as you "think" it should be done.

Break these jobs down into smaller ones, if possible.  Do them a little at a time or all at once, whichever you prefer.  But if the job needs doing then just DO it and get it over with.  You'll be glad you did.




Image courtesy of marin at FreeDigitalPhotos.net


5.  LIMIT YOUR INTERNET AND T.V. TIME

One of the reasons housework can take all day is because we keep allowing ourselves to get distracted.  We sit down at the computer for "five" minutes and an hour goes by.  We can get lost in a t.v. show and another hour goes by.

Be aware of these time suckers.  The exception is when you're cleaning the "Lazy Mom" way, but even then your t.v. time is limited by a timer.  ;)  If you find yourself getting lost in the internet, set a timer and when it goes off, walk away! 
  

6.  RACE THE TIMER

Racing the timer can be fun and can make a game out of household duties.  Plus, a timer promises you that there will be an end to it.  You know that the job isn't going to last forever and you can do anything for 15 minutes right?


7.  DON'T FORGET TO EAT

 Food is energy.  You will work much better and be able to think more clearly and focus on the task ahead  if your stomach isn't growling and your mind isn't focused on food because you're starving.  You will feel stronger and much better too.  So eat!


8.  DON'T OVERLOAD YOUR DAY
 
Don't try to do everything in one day, spread the load out throughout the week.  Or have one heavy cleaning day and one light day.  You don't have to do everything and CLEAN everything in one day.


9.  TAKE REGULAR BREAKS

You might wonder how taking a break will keep your housework from lasting all day and it will seem unproductive and in conflict with #5.  Not so.  When you take breaks you give your brain and body some down time, a chance to relax and recharge.

Your motivation and enthusiasm will start to build again, which will mean that you will work more effectively.  So take regular breaks, then you're ready to get back down to business and finish your day's homemaking duties.  Just keep track of your break time!  ;)


10.  GUARD YOUR EXPECTATIONS

Sometimes the problem isn't our attitude, it's our expectations.  They are too high.   If you have a newborn, a toddler and a preschooler, you are going to have to accept the fact that you are busy and your lifestyle has changed from before.  You are not in competition with your sister who has no children or your neighbor who has nine children.

Maybe you don't have any children but you find that your life is extremely busy and you don't have the time to devote to housework that you used to. Maybe you are in a different season of life right now, and/or your priorities have changed.

When our life changes, our expectations have to grow and change with it.  We have to make new adjustments each time we add a new baby into the family, or add another sport or after-school activity for our children.  Not to mention adding to or changing our own day or evening activities.

Our lives change and our schedules have to change with it.



Image courtesy of David Castillo Dominici at FreeDigitalPhotos.net

Above all, don't forget your priorities.  For some people, starting housework isn't the problem, stopping it is.  Remember that you don't "win" if you have the cleanest house on the block.

Housework is important as it's hard to function and thrive in chaos.  But don't be afraid to throw the schedule out the window and read a book to your toddler, play with your preschooler or cuddle with your baby or other children.  You are a mother, not a machine.

Remember that and make your home sing today!

What are you doing or going to do today to make your home sing? Please go here for instructions and/or ideas and come back here to link up to join us today! Please do not put your own "Making Your Home Sing Monday" Linky on your blog. As always, please don't forget to link to this post so that others can join the fun!


If you don't want to miss any blogs posts, you can subscribe
by 
RSS, Bloglovin, Feedly
Facebook or Email 

I'd love to connect with you!



Be sure and come back Monday and link up to the Making Your Home Sing Monday  linky party!



I am linking up to these parties:



TheBetterMom.comWhat Joy Is MinePhotobucket
The Life Of Faith
Happy Wives ClubExceptionalistic photo e70fb310-7eb7-4908-bb0e-cac50857a9bb.jpgRaising Imperfection i should be mopping the floor 125 Titus 2 Tuesday ButtonCourtship ConnectionTeaching What Is Good www.wholeheartedhome.com  Messy MarriageDucks 'n a RowFamily Home and Lifehttp://www.wildernesswife.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/Wicked-Good-Wednesday-Blog-Hop-Button.jpgWise-Woman-Builds All Things with Purposekatherines corner PhotobucketMissional Womenhttp://christianmommyblogger.comHappyandBlessedHome.com Please save image and put it in your post or on your sidebar. Also We Are That Family

27 comments:

  1. With this post, you remind me how much easier housework is when your children are all grown up and gone! All of you women with young children, remember these days soon will pass...Then it will just be your husband and you and much less housework.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is true but I figure by then we will eventually have grandchildren to come mess it up, lol! ;)

      Delete
  2. These are great ideas, Nan. I need all the help I can get with organizing my housecleaning. I looked at your free weekly schedule and I can tell you are way more organized than I am. But I'm up for the challenge--being more intentional about my cleaning anyway. :) Thanks for the tips and free resources.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I do love organization, lol! I don't always adhere to my weekly schedule.

      For example, last Tuesday I straightened my pantry but I didn't straighten the cupboard under the sink and I only watered one plant, lol!

      My goal is to keep things from getting out of control but sometimes it happens anyway, haha!

      Delete
  3. Thanks for hosting this link up Nan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for linking up, Jen! Can't wait to read it! :)

      Delete
  4. How cleaver of you to link up this post just before mine over at Matrimonial Mondays!! Most likely you were trying to test if I would stop by, comment and linkup my posts :-) Actually, I thought that was mighty convenient for me since I was heading your way shortly.

    I hope you had a blessed weekend. I loved your post and hope to catch up from the past few days. Starting a week off with a wonderful day with my hubby home set me behind in blogging!! -)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am indeed clever like that, haha!

      I did have a good week but it was a busy one and I was only able to blog three times. But that was fine.

      Oh but what lovely memories you have of your time with you hubby! You need that break from those babies! ;)

      Delete
  5. Oh man ... I have to keep track of when I am procrastinating? That's no fun! LOL

    Thank you for linking to Raising Imperfection.
    Please come back Friday to see if you were featured. :)

    ¤´¨)
    ¸.•*´
    (¸¤ Lanaya | xoxo
    www.raising-reagan.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, good point, Lanaya! Who needs more stress? Haha! That's for hosting today, my friend.

      Delete
  6. This is wonderful advice!!! Who wants to clean all day , or to try to multi task all day? Not me, but sometimes that is what I do!
    Stop the insanity!
    :)

    Emily
    www.weakandloved.com

    first time linking up! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are great tips.  I'd  love to have you link this to Titus 2 Tuesday this week on Cornerstone Confessions.. I hope to see you there. 
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love these tips! Thanks for hosting

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for linking up! Looking forward to reading it.

      Delete
  9. I am a momma, not a machine. Oh how I needed to hear that today. Thanks for linking up today and splashing us all with your great ideas to keep our home singing.

    Happy day,
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ahhh, using my timer is my #1 help for keeping on target!! It helps me stick to one project at a time, but in bite-sized pieces AND it helps keep me from procrastinating or getting caught up in online fun.

    Off to fold my 2nd batch of laundry!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love my timer too, Kate! Wow, you are rocking that laundry today! ;)

      Delete
  11. The house next door is for sale. Would you please buy it? We need to live closer together.

    mommamindy.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great suggestions! I'll have to share with my wife. She'll love them.

    Also, I'm happy to be your newest follower! I'd love it if you could take a second to check out my blog and follow me back :)

    Thanks so much,
    Tyson @ www.uplifting-love.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love suggestion number 6! I'm back to working full time, so housework has been neglected. Thanks for hosting!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nan,
    I read a very interesting post on writing productivity. It suggested writing for 90 minutes, then taking a 30 minute break. Repeat twice, and then you're finished for the day. The writer said that when he employed this schedule, he was more productive, creative, and effective than when he slogged away for 8-10 hours a day. I wonder if this would work for housework? Hm. . . to be honest, I'd rather be writing!

    thanks for sharing (as always) practical, helpful suggestions.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think the "Take regular breaks" may have been my favorite suggestion of the bunch - LOL! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is a wonderful list! For me, breaking the tasks into 15minute segments is one of the most helpful things, as well as setting benchmarks...laundry before lunch!

    I found you off of Messy Marriage!

    Lisa
    Www.thecourageousjourney.com

    ReplyDelete

  17. What a great post! You are so right. Love the part on "don't forget to eat". I've heard that there are people who do that. WISH IT WERE ME! LOL I almost never forget to eat...but you are right. Working on empty does not go well.
    Thanks so much for hosting! ♥
    Blessings,
    Sinea
    Ducks ‘n a Row

    ReplyDelete
  18. BTW...I am adding your hop to my Blog Hops page on Ducks 'n a Row....thanks for coming to my Wonderful Wednesday hop. Hope to see you again next week :)


    Blessings,
    Sinea
    Ducks ‘n a Row

    ReplyDelete

So glad you stopped by today! Please feel free to subscribe to my blog and/or follow me on facebook. The links are at the bottom of each post.

Thank you for leaving a comment. I love hearing from you! Please keep it nice and sweet and family friendly so I don't have to delete!

Please don't leave a link to your blog (or anyone else's) in your comment. Due to google's new comment spam policy, any comments with links will have to be deleted to protect both you and me!