Sunday, June 23, 2013

10 Ways To Avoid Getting Sidetracked While You're Cleaning & MYHSM Linky Party


Making your home sing Mondays

Welcome to the Making Your Home Sing Monday linky party! Every day you are doing something to make your house into a home for yourself and your family (if you have one). 

My point with each Monday post is, what are YOU doing or going to do today to make your home sing?  It can be an attitude or an action. So have fun, do some blog hopping, link up and don't forget to give a link back to this post!  Thanks!


Topics can include marriage, parenting, encouraging women, organization, cleaning, saving money, our behavior and attitudes, homemaking, homeschooling, recipes....the opportunities are endless.


Note:  We had 98 linkups last week which is awesome!  Don't forget to visit one another and try to leave a comment on at least one blog to encourage someone today!  :)

Have you ever started cleaning your living room and the next thing you know you are in the bedroom cleaning out your sock drawer?  Have you ever needed to get your house cleaned for company and yet you constantly find yourself distracted by other things and now you're panicking?

Do you find that cleaning takes twice as long as you think it should?  Do you get easily distracted by other things when you know you should be cleaning?

You're not alone.  I can be extremely focused when I want to be.  But can also be easily distracted with something that seems more "fun."  So I walk a fine line!  ;)

I am one of those....."SQUIRREL!!!!".....people who will often find myself doing one thing when I planned on doing something else.  It's not that my priorities have changed, it's just that sometimes I.....look, a chicken!!!!.......allow myself to be sidetracked from my own goals when I am trying to clean.

Pretty soon I've got a whole bunch of little projects started with nothing getting finished and my house reflects it.  Or I will micromanage one small area of cleaning and ignore the huge glaring mess that's staring me right in the face. Sound familiar?

Do you have lots of little cleaning projects started but nothing finished?  Do you have company coming over and are you afraid that you won't get your cleaning done for fear of being sidetracked?  Here are some ideas:


1.  Make a list of the things you need to do, starting with the most important and on down to the least important.  This will please those of you who love to feel like you're in control and please those who want instant gratification, because you can cross the items off your list as you go.  It will also help those of us who are easily sidetracked to stay focused.  Having the important things at the top of the list will increase your changes of getting those done first.

2.  Be reasonable with your lists.  Having a to-do list with 75 things to do on it that day is too overwhelming.  Keep it simple.  You don't have to do everything or CLEAN everything today.

3. Keep all your cleaning supplies handy in a bucket or a tote.  That way you can carry them with you as you clean and you won't need to leave the room to get anything, thereby decreasing your chances of getting distracted.

4.  In order to avoid getting sidetracked, stay in the room that you're cleaning.  Keep a laundry basket nearby to deposit everything that doesn't belong in the room.  Just set things in the basket for now and stay where you are.

If you leave the room NOW you are likely to get sidetracked and find yourself alphabetizing your dvd collection in the family room (which is NOT on your list), when you really should be vacuuming the living room (which IS on your list).  Just set out of place items in the basket for now, you can put everything away later.

5.  Focus on the majors, not the minors.  If you are having people over, only clean what people are going to see.  Don't worry about what they can't see.  Now is NOT the time to clean inside the cupboards or drawers.  If people see that your floors and surfaces are neat and clutter free, most people are just going to assume that your cupboards and drawers are orderly too.

6  Reward yourself.  For every 45 minutes of work, take a 15 minute break.  Just make sure to set that timer so that after your 15 minutes of fun is over you get back to cleaning!

If you're only cleaning for a short time today, promise yourself a treat when you're done!  Whether the treat is chocolate, a quick stop on facebook, or reading a chapter in your favorite book.

7.  Put a temporary ban on all your electronics.  Don't answer the phone, let it go to voice mail.  Stay off the computer as well.  Save that for your 15 minutes of fun.  Unless you're cleaning the Lazy Mom way, then t.v. watching is o.k depending on what you're doing, as long as you keep cleaning!

8.  Keep a perspective.  If you're having company over, you want people to be able to have a place to sit, so clear off the furniture.  You want them to be able to walk safely, so remove the toys out of their path.  You want them to be able to use the bathroom without fearing that it should be condemned, so give the bathroom a quick swipe.


This is what's important right now.  Not folding your laundry, you can do that later, so put it somewhere out of sight.  Not reorganizing the books in your bookshelves.  Not reorganizing or rotating the food in your pantry.  You're getting ready for company, not an inspection.

9.  Know when good enough is good enough.  Remember that they are coming over for YOU, not your home.   You're not going to get to everything.  There will probably still be cobwebs hanging from the ceiling or the lamp that you forgot to dust.  It's o.k.  It doesn't have to be perfect.

10.  Know when to stop.  You don't want to be all stressed out and exhausted by the time your company comes.  You want to be able to enjoy them.  Set a timer for 15 minutes and just relax, if possible, before they come.  30 minutes would be even better!  Try this and make your home sing!

What are you doing or going to do today to make your home sing? Please go here for instructions and/or ideas and come back here to link up to join us today! Please do not put your own "Making Your Home Sing Monday" Linky on your blog. As always, please don't forget to link to this post so that others can join the fun! 

If you don't want to miss any blogs posts, you can subscribe
by 
RSS, Bloglovin, Feedly
Facebook or Email 

I'd love to connect with you!



I am linking up to these parties:


TheBetterMom.comWhat Joy Is MinePhotobucketHappy Wives ClubLiving Proverbs 31i should be mopping the floor photo e70fb310-7eb7-4908-bb0e-cac50857a9bb.jpg
The Alabaster JarThe Life Of Faith photo NEWRIButton275x150_zpsf908716b.jpg
Teaching What Is Good125 Titus 2 Tuesday Button Growing HomeCourtship Connection  Messy MarriageDucks 'n a RowFamily Home and Lifehttp://www.wildernesswife.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/Wicked-Good-Wednesday-Blog-Hop-Button.jpgWise-Woman-Builds  All Things with Purposekatherines corner PhotobucketMissional Womenhttp://christianmommyblogger.comHappyandBlessedHome.com Please save image and put it in your post or on your sidebar. Also, We Are That Family and A Bowl Full Of Lemons

40 comments:

  1. These are great tips, Nan! Thank you for being honest-from one squirrel to another!:)

    I look forward to joining your link-up in the future. I am still trying to get my virtual "ducks" in order, and my priorities straight offline!

    Have a blessed week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So you're a squirrel too? Lol! I will be so happy to have you join us when you can, my friend! :)

      Delete
  2. Nan,
    I always learn something from your posts. Oftentimes several somethings. Number 4 resonates with me, because, yes, on the way to put something away, I'll see four other things that need to be done and never make it back to what I began. Confinement sounds like the wisest approach, and if I have my bucket full of tools and my laundry basket to stash (and the chocolate in my pocket for when the 45 minute timer rings, and my electronics turned off, I should have no reason to leave the room, right???? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwww, thank you for your sweet comment! :)

      I love my laundry bucket. I also have a tote but find myself using my bucket the most. It's so handy!

      Nope, you've got no reason to leave....unless nature calls! ;)

      Delete
  3. These are great tips, Nan. I like the idea of setting a timer while I'm cleaning. I do the Pomodoro time management system for my writing projects but I've never thought about doing that with housecleaning. It really does help to take those short breaks to stay motivated. Thanks for always providing helpful ideas, since this is an area of my life where I need all the help I can get! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Beth! I will have to google "Pomodoro" system. I feel like I've heard of it before but I'm not positive.

      I looooove racing the timer when I'm cleaning! ;)

      Delete
  4. You just must have written this just for me!! I go to the laundry and see a clump of cat hair and pick it up, then I see a dish in my sons room and grab that, then I come back upstairs and realize that I never got to the laundry room!!

    I think being a homemaker trumps and other job with a 15 minute break every 45 minutes, don't you think?!

    Thanks for hosting, Nan!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did write it for you. I've been "spying" on you, lol! Oh yes, I would have LOVED to work 45 minutes and get that 15 minutes of fun, lol!

      Delete
  5. Nan, 98 link ups? That is awesome. This meme has really grown. I am so happy to hear it. I linked up this week. Thanks for the reminder! I will visit other blogs through out the week. Leaving this page bookmarked so I can find new bloggers to add to my Feedly reader! :) Now that Google Reader is leaving I am trying to clean up my subscriptions and add quality Christian blogs to my Feedly reader.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I have been blessed with lots of wonderful people linking up! I hope it will continue to grow.

      I'm so excited you linked up, can't wait to read it. So you have feedly too? I have feedly and bloglovin and am trying them both out.

      Delete
  6. Thank you Nan for this post and also for hosting this link up! I appreciate you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate you too, my friend! Thank YOU for linking up! :)

      Delete
  7. Your party's growing really fast! Congrats on all your hard work paying off. Thanks for hosting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been blessed to have people like YOU linking up with me week after week, Amy! Thanks again for linking up!

      Delete
  8. Excellent list! I particularly like #8-10 -- those are the ones I get tripped up by. Thanks for hosting your link-up each week! Congrats on the growing number of participants!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for joining us each week, Kate! :)

      Delete
  9. Yes, I need to STAY IN THE SAME ROOM!!! That is where I get sidetracked... Found you on THe Better Mom link up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh me too, lol! So happy you stopped by and so excited you linked up!

      Delete
  10. No WAY! I'm blogging about multitasking today.

    But, I came over to grab your blog button and got distracted by your great wisdom.

    mommamindy.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great list! I made accomplished my tasks today! YAY! Tomorrow is another day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yay! Good for you. Yes, I always feel encouraged that I can always do something tomorrow if I didn't get to it today! ;)

      Delete
  12. Hi there! I'm visiting from the link up at a Better Mom. Excellent tips, especially the one about having a basket in the room to toss things in that don't belong. I always go out to put things where they belong in other areas of the house, only to get sidetracked by that huge pile of mail that needs to be sorted or "oh my goodness, look at all of that dog hair on the wood floor. I must sweep it NOW!" Seriously, thank you for the tips! I needed them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! So glad you stopped by and can't wait to read what you linked up too! I am easily distracted that way as well, so you're not alone. ;)

      Delete
  13. I can absolutely be one of those people .. I'll walk into Reagan's room to put down some laundry and next thing I know I'm cleaning out her closet! LOL

    Thank you for linking to Raising Imperfection.
    Please come back Friday to see if you were featured. :)

    ¤´¨)
    ¸.•*´
    (¸¤ Lanaya | xoxo
    Raising-Reagan.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Easy to do, isn't it? Thanks for hosting! :)

      Delete
  14. SQUIRREL! ROFL - that's so me too often! Thanks for hosting this party and hope to stop by often.

    Michelle @ On A Wing And A Prayer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for joining us, Michelle! I'll be over to read it asap! :)

      Delete
  15. #11 - stay away from Pinterest! (which is where I found this, while avoiding changing the sheets. LOL)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh my, hahahahahaha! In this case I'm GLAD you were on pinterest, lol!

    I don't really enjoy changing sheets either. It's an easy job but not very much fun in my book, especially if you have a lot of blankets.......

    ReplyDelete
  17. I really need to do the cleaning supplies in a bucket, that is such a great idea.

    Thank you for linking up to Raising Imperfection!
    Make sure to check back on Friday to see if you were featured.
    Leslie
    www.violetimperfection.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love my bucket! It's just so easy to carry everywhere. Thanks for hosting!

      Delete
  18. Thanks so much for the party - first time linking up and new follower on FB!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for linking up today, Jamie! So happy to have you and thanks for the follow!

      Delete
  19. I would love for you to share and link up at my weekly TGIF Link Party if you haven't already this week. Your favorite posts, most popular, recent or new! The party is open every Thursday night and closes Wednesday's at midnight. Followed by (Not SO) Wordless Wednesday! http://apeekintomyparadise.blogspot.com/. I would be honored if you join us! Have a wonderful week!

    Hugs, Cathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for the invite Cathy!

      Delete
  20. Yes, well. I'm definitely one of those who needs the all the help she can get in avoiding getting sidetracked!! Thanks for the tips!

    And thanks for joining Grace at Home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too, Richella! Thanks for hosting!

      Delete

So glad you stopped by today! Please feel free to subscribe to my blog and/or follow me on facebook. The links are at the bottom of each post.

Thank you for leaving a comment. I love hearing from you! Please keep it nice and sweet and family friendly so I don't have to delete!

Please don't leave a link to your blog (or anyone else's) in your comment. Due to google's new comment spam policy, any comments with links will have to be deleted to protect both you and me!