Sunday, May 19, 2013

Yoga Pants Are Fattening & MYHSM Linky Party

Making your home sing Mondays


Welcome to the Making Your Home Sing Monday linky party! Every day you are doing something to make your house into a home for yourself and your family (if you have one). 

My point with each Monday post is, what are YOU doing or going to do today to make your home sing? It can be an attitude or an action. So have fun, do some blog hopping and if you want, link up!

Topics can include marriage, parenting, encouraging women, organization, cleaning, saving money, our behavior and attitudes, homemaking, homeschooling, recipes....the opportunities are endless.


Back in January when I hurt my back and went on modified bed rest for awhile I discovered three things:

1.  Yoga pants are very comfortable.
2:   Yoga pants are very fattening.
3.   Yoga pants tell my body I am "off duty" for the day.

Previous to this I had never owned or worn a pair of them.  But they are very comfortable, as I said, and worked really well with my heating pad!

They are, however, fattening.   I did gain some weight and yes, I blame some of it on my injury and the fact that I couldn't exercise.  But I also blame yoga pants.  ;)

How can you NOT blame them?  You put them on day after day and you don't notice if you've gained a few pounds, as they keep stretching.  At least, mine did.

I found myself wearing them all day long, even when my back started feeling better.  Who could blame me?  They're just so comfortable.

In fact, if I'd wanted to, I could have worn them to bed with a t-shirt and then got up and gone to the store without ever having to change my clothes.  I could have worn them and the t-shirt for days on end and fooled myself into believing I'd actually gotten dressed for the day.

Now, I'm not knocking your yoga pants.  I've seen lots of women out there wearing them in the stores, etc.

What I AM saying is are you sleeping in them too?  Have you eliminated the need to get dressed in the morning because you're sleeping in your yoga pants and a t-shirt?  Or have you eliminated the need to get dressed because you're wearing your pajamas all day?

What we wear can affect our mood and how we feel about ourselves.

If you don't believe me go out and try on the ugliest outfit you can find and then tell me how you feel in it.  Then try on the prettiest outfit and now tell me how you feel in it.

If you were out and saw someone else wearing the same clothes that you are wearing today, what would be your perception of them?  

What is your outfit saying about you today and every day?  Does it say you're settled in for a day of watching t.v., playing on the computer, reading a good book and then maybe doing a load of laundry if you can find the time?


Are you wearing clothes every day ALL day that are telling you you're on vacation so take it easy, don't do anything and sit down and relax?  What are your clothes saying to you?  What are they saving about you?

Do they say that you care about yourself?  That you want to look pretty for your husband, family and for yourself?   Does it set a good example for your children?

When I worked outside the home I had to dress professionally.  I dressed for my job.

What job are YOU dressing for today?  Or rather, what does it look like you're dressing for?  Bed?

I've seen lots of people who look adorable in yoga pants and cute long tops.  But as they look pretty well put together I don't think they are using them as an excuse not to get dressed.  I think they dressed intentionally.

Are YOU dressing intentionally?  Do you look like you've made an effort today?  Do you care enough about yourself to make the effort or do you feel like you've let yourself go?

If you have young kids and you are tired, many of us have been there, my friend, and we can relate.  Maybe you can't get in the shower yet but you can brush your teeth, comb your hair, and get dressed!  You can still plant a smile on your face and in your heart!  Do it now and make your home sing today!

What are you doing or going to do today to make your home sing? Please go here for instructions and/or ideas and come back here to link up to join us today! Please do not put your own "Making Your Home Sing Monday" Linky on your blog. As always, please don't forget to link to this post so that others can join the fun!

If you don't want to miss any blog posts, you can follow me or subscribe in your reader or by email.  You   can also find me here on  facebook as well!  I'd love to connect with you!  

I am linking up to these linky parties:


The Life Of FaithTheBetterMom.comWhat Joy Is MinePhotobucketHappy Wives ClubExceptionalisticCovered in GraceRaising Imperfection i should be mopping the floorCourtship ConnectionTeaching What Is Good Messy MarriageFamily Home and Lifehttp://www.wildernesswife.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/Wicked-Good-Wednesday-Blog-Hop-Button.jpgWise-Woman-Builds All Things with Purposekatherines corner PhotobucketMissional Womenhttp://christianmommyblogger.comHappyandBlessedHome.com Please save image and put it in your post or on your sidebar.

48 comments:

  1. Uh...I have my yoga pants on right now. Well, maybe they aren't true yoga pants 'cause they have pockets.
    I just change clothes many times a day, which I do not like to do. Change to run errands, change to do housework, change to work out, then try to look nice for hubby.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm wearing my yoga pants right now too! I just have to make sure that I don't wear them all day and all night long, lol!

      Delete
  2. The older I get, the more I want comfortable clothes, shoes and stretchy waistlines! ha! I guess that makes me officially an "old mom." But like you've said so humorously and cleverly, Nan, we need to dress not just for ourselves but for our spouses. I do feel better when I dress with a little style and care. And I can't go too many days without trying to look my best. Thanks for this important reminder. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, my friend! The older I get the more I can get too comfortable too, lol! I have to remind myself that I don't have to look at me, haha.

      Delete
    2. Hey Nan, I'm sorry you couldn't comment at my blog the other day. You wouldn't happen to have any suggestions for fixing a problem like that, would you? Just thought I'd ask. :)

      Delete
  3. Nan,
    As usual, you're right on target. Our clothing (and our make up, and lack thereof) set the tone for how we present ourselves. I am a dental hygienist, and have observed over the years that no matter how attractive a person is, if they are self-conscious about their teeth, it affects how they smile, speak, and interact with others. One little component makes all the difference.

    In my own life, if I've been slouching around the house looking like a bum, and I have to run out to the grocery store, you can bet I'm not eager to interact with anyone -- I"m running and hiding if at all possible. On the other hand, if I'm looking good, my head is up, my smile is on, and my personality is sparkly. The same is true with my husband.

    I have friends who work outside the home and say, "On Saturday, I don't wear make up and bum around in old clothes." I do the opposite -- I might slouch around when my hubby's away at work, but on Saturday, when he's around all day, that's when I really want to look good!

    THanks for the encouragement not to be careless with one of the most important relationships we have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have heard that same thing. My sister used to hide her smile behind her hand. She still does sometimes.

      I have been all "fixed up" at the store and run into no one and been way to comfortable and sloppy looking and run into everyone I know, lol!

      Delete
  4. Thanks for the invite to your link up! Looks like some great encouragement here. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so excited that you came by and decided to link up! :)

      Delete
  5. Busted. This is exactly what I did with my only pair of sweat pants while in the final crazy days of finishing a book for publication. Slept in them, wore them all day, slept in them.....

    Maybe I should get yoga pants when I'm writing the next book....

    mommamindy.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had sweat pants over the years and they're pretty comfy too! ;)

      Delete
  6. Hey, but you never walked in my shoes and had the excuse of twins!! Just kidding. I hate not taking a shower and even if I miss the window of opportunity, I will take the next window that comes along. I dress for success (for an at home mama) and love picking clothes out (and buying them at thrift stores) but dress for practicality as well as to look nice. I love denim. I mean, I just love it. So, denim skirts are the best. Then you dress them down or up depending on what you are doing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PS...Thanks for hosting!!

      Delete
    2. For some reason I feel like I can't "clean" effectively unless I'm dressed in my denim jeans! I can't clean or organize in sweat pants or jammies or anything comfy, it's gotta be in my jeans, lol!

      Delete
  7. Getting dressed definitely makes me feel "put-together" and ready for the day! Not that I am always "together" about everything, but it just feels like I'm set to start my day. Plus, it makes p.j.s more fun and designated for a relaxing time. :)

    I enjoyed reading this post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's true. Having to change your clothes sort of tells your mind it's time to relax and have a change of pace!

      Delete
  8. I'm reading this as I wear my yoga pants. They are super comfy, but yes they are stretchy enough to allow all that extra "growing". Getting prettied up is a wonderful way to make yourself feel great. Wearing my pajamas all day makes me feel awful. It's so worth it to put in the extra time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is! There's just something about getting out of your jammies (or yoga pants if you slept in them) and getting dressed and prettied up that tells your mind "we are ready for anything today!"

      Delete
  9. This is SO true ... I love yoga pants but they will not tell you the truth about your weight!

    Thank you for linking to Raising Imperfection.
    Please come back Friday to see if you were featured. :)

    ¤´¨)
    ¸.•*´
    (¸¤ Lanaya | xoxo
    www.raising-reagan.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Replies
    1. Thank YOU for linking up,my friend! :)

      Delete
  11. You are right on, how you dress can change how you feel. After my first two babies, I struggled with some depression issues. Not terrible like some I've heard but enough that I would be easily in tears or stressed out. It made a HUGE difference if I showered, dressed and put on make-up rather than staying in yoga pants or pj's for the day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it just gives us a bit of confidence and I feeling of "I've GOT this, I can do it!" Just being put together physically can help put us together mentally and emotionally, I think! ;)

      Delete
  12. LOL! That is too funny. I actually find the opposite to be true. I wear yoga pants every day and I find them slimming because they are a reminder for me to make sure I get to my power yoga or spinning class daily (and if that doesn't happen by the end of the day, then I lace on some tennis shoes and hit the pavement for a 4 or 5K run). If I don't put on my workout clothes in the morning, there is a very good chance I won't work out by the end of the day. And the exact opposite is true when I do put them on in the morning (who wants to go to bed having worn their workout clothes all day and not actually work out? :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, but you're one of those young cutie-patootie gals that look so good in them!

      Wow, good for you, girl! A 4 or 5K? Wow.

      It's obvious that you associate your yoga pants with exercise and so they motivate you and remind you to go out and do it! Mind remind me to go take a nap, lol! ;)

      Delete
  13. Thanks so much for linking this wonderful post up to Mommy Moments!!

    The Mrs.
    Mommy Moments co-host
    www.mrsvolnoff.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nan...thank you for sharing your thoughts. I'm the opposite. When I wear any of my exercise clothes, I am motivated to exercise. I never lounge around in them but I do have comfy clothes I love to wear from time to time. Mostly, I dress for the day whether I'm out and about or just hanging out at home. For me, my clothes can determine my attitude so I have to be intentional in my choices. I'm thankful you shared your experience at WJIM. Have a wonderful week friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, I wish mine motivated me to exercise, lol! I guess I don't associate them with exercise. Thanks for hosting and you have a lovely week too!

      Delete
  15. Such a great post about this! I have thought of this often and then I get dressed for the day. Some days it takes me a little longer than others but I totally know what you mean.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean too. I have days like that too!

      Delete
  16. Since moving back to America from Asia six months ago I've thought about throwing out all of the clothing that I don't feel my best in. I want to feel good in everything I wear!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too!

      Wow, you lived in Asia for awhile? Cool! I've never been out of the country except to Canada, lol!

      Delete
  17. Thanks for hosting and for inviting me to your link-up! I'll bookmark it for the future too :)

    I LOVE yoga pants. The nice ones, not the stretched out frumpy ones. Especially now that I'm pregnant, they are very comfortable for my growing figure ;) and I actually work better when I'm comfortable (not slouchy, just comfy). Weird, I know!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for coming! Oh there's nothing like stretchy knit pants when you're pregnant! They feel great.

      Delete
  18. Oh yes...I hear you! Although I don't wear yoga pants, I do have some frumpy/comfy outfits that I am better off NOT wearing!! Thanks for linking up with me this week! I love your blog!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, my friend, love yours too! Yes, I have rocked some sweat pants many times over the years with an old tee and definitely not my best look either, lol!

      Delete
  19. I love your post. As a blogger sometimes we forget that there is a whole world out there, and end up wearing our comfortable clothes, but you are right. When I dress like that it affects my mood. When I put on a cute outfit, it makes me feel pretty.
    Have a great week.
    Debi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh me too. I also know that washing and getting my hair "did" will also give me a quick pick-me-up! ;)

      Delete
  20. Great thoughts on yoga pants and the way we feel about ourselves!!! I feel the same about denim jumpers. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I agree. I have never owned one but they look like they'd be really comfortable.

      Delete
  21. Such a fun post, and pretty true. I try to get dressed right away in the mornings. I'm featuring this post at Matrimonial Monday tomorrow :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you so much for the feature! I am honored, my friend.

      Delete
  22. my clothes say " I wish you had more money so you could be new clothes. LOL Thank you for sharing at the hop xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahahaha, pretty sure my clothes are saying that too, lol!

      Delete
  23. I LOVED this post! I'm seriously in yoga pants right now and you just made me want to go change because what you said is sooooo true! I also had somehow missed that you host a weekly link-up. I'll have to go see if one is live for this week! As always, thanks for linking up at Walking Redeemed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always a pleasure to link up with you, Kasey! I see that you found the linky. I'm so excited you linked up, can't wait to read it! :)

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I love hearing from you! Please keep it nice and sweet and family friendly so I don't have to delete!

Please don't leave a link to your blog (or anyone else's) in your comment. Due to google's new comment spam policy, any comments with links will have to be deleted to protect both you and me!

So I'd still love to hear from you! Just don't type out a link to share! ;)