Friday, May 17, 2013

Making Memories While You Can


Recently I was sitting at the computer ready to work on my blog post for the next day.  I was sitting there staring at the computer and trying to decide if I was "inspired" to write something new or finish something I already had in my draft folder.

Both boys were home and while I was in the laundry room doing laundry earlier (and it wasn't even laundry day!!!), I was thinking how nice it was to have them both home for the evening. 

As I was sitting at the computer my hubby came upstairs and said that the boys wanted us all to watch a funny movie which I had never seen.

Sitting down and watching a movie all the way through has always been hard for me.  I don't like to just SIT there and do nothing for a couple of hours.  I want to be multitasking and folding some clothes or maybe sorting through papers or organizing something while I watch t.v.  I want to "accomplish" something and not waste the time.

But I know that when I am watching a movie with my family I AM accomplishing something.  I am hanging out with my family, having fun and making precious memories.

Sometimes we moms can be so driven and task and goal oriented that we forget that life isn't all about folding the laundry, mopping the floors and washing the dishes.

Those things are important, sure, and they make our homes run a lot more smoothly.  I, for one, function much better when I'm not living in chaos.


But at the end of the day, the things that are the most precious to us cannot be stored away in a cupboard, or in a drawer, or organized on a shelf.

The things that are precious to us, our families, cannot be set aside on a shelf and taken out later to enjoy when we have the time.  Because if we don't MAKE the time, then we're not going to have the time.

 

The URGENT will always assert itself, and nobody does urgent better than a basket of dirty laundry, a sink full of dishes, or a bathroom that needs cleaning.

I'm all for having a clean bathroom, an empty sink, and clean laundry.  Especially if I can have all three at the same time.

But sometimes, you just have to drop everything and spend that precious time with your family when you can, making memories while you can.

Years later the name of the movie may have been forgotten but the memories you will have made of moments like that will warm your heart forever.


If you don't want to miss any blog posts, you can follow me or subscribe in your reader or by email.  You   can also find me here on facebook as well!  I'd love to connect with you!

Be sure and come back Monday and link up to the Making Your Home Sing Monday  linky party!



I am linking up to these linky parties today:

Missional Women http://christianmommyblogger.com HappyandBlessedHome.com
The Life Of FaithTheBetterMom.comWhat Joy Is MinePhotobucketHappy Wives ClubExceptionalisticCovered in GraceRaising Imperfection i should be mopping the floorCourtship Connection Messy MarriageFamily Home and Lifehttp://www.wildernesswife.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/Wicked-Good-Wednesday-Blog-Hop-Button.jpg Wise-Woman-Builds All Things with Purposekatherines corner Photobucket

19 comments:

  1. Hey this is a great post and needs a comment!! This is Saturday for me, and just before I read this I was feeling the tyranny of the urgent!! I folded a load of laundry (rapidly) and finished making church supper next while all the while *seeing* things that needed to be done NOW!! There is a huge pile of dishes in the sink asking to be washed, a basket of laundry sits hidden behind my husband's chair, stuff needing to be put away in my bedroom....everywhere I see things needing to be done. I needed to read this post right now and leave the stuff needing to be done (because it will be right back tomorrow) and stop trying to squeeze everything in between two precious children needing my time. The cobwebs will keep!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen, sister! Those babies can't wait but the laundry can!

      Delete
  2. Very true ... it is the family that keeps us going and sometimes all that other crap can wait!

    Thank you for linking to Raising Imperfection.
    Please come back Friday to see if you were featured. :)

    ¤´¨)
    ¸.•*´
    (¸¤ Lanaya | xoxo
    www.raising-reagan.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, our family does keep us going and makes it all worthwhile, but we have to know when to quit! And some of us have to know when to start, lol! ;) Thanks for hosting.

      Delete
    2. Hi Nan ~ I featured your post today over at Feature Fridays!
      http://raising-reagan.com/2013/05/24/feature-friday-week-25/

      ¤´¨)
      ¸.•*´
      (¸¤ Lanaya | xoxo
      www.raising-reagan.com

      Delete
  3. So true. We do our best to make beautiful memories each week. It can be challenging to not allow all the less important "stuff" take precedence but we sure as heck give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we do. It's hard to find that balance but it's so worth it.

      Delete
  4. So very true. Thank you for the reminder. Our families are what is important. God gave us these precious gifts and they are with us for too short a time not to give them everything we have. I always feel like I will have plenty of time to have a spotless house, but not to have precious moments with my children. Thanks for visiting my blog and for your very kind comments. Many blessings, Lisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, our time with them is precious, isn't it? Thank you for popping over for a visit as well!

      Delete
  5. Isn't that the truth? Thanks for sharing with us. I would say this message is especially important for those of us who have a lot of little ones. It's so easy to get caught up in keeping the house clean which will keep our attention 24/7. Time with the kids despite the mess is so much more important. Thanks for reminding this frazzled mom of littles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Boy that's for sure. Something ALWAYS needs cleaning in our house, lol! I don't function well in chaos so I always had to have the house clean to a certain standard but not get overly caught up in it, as you stated. I had to have a quitting time so I could enjoy my babies!

      Delete
  6. I remember as a kid how wonderful it was when my mom and dad sat down with us and watched a movie. I can name some of those movies still like "Tammy" and "The computer wore Tennis Shoes." They were fond of the old ones. I think you did the right thing. Those memories matter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I remember watching both of those movies! Tammy was "old" for me, however, "The Computer Wore Tennis Shoes" was NEW, lol!

      Delete
  7. So nicely put. As a new mom (my daughter is 9 months), I have struggled with this as well... I hate to just sit still because I know there is so much I could so around the house. But I try to get stuff done when she's napping so that we can enjoy our time together as a family when my husband isn't working. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's hard when you have a baby, isn't it? And yet in some ways, it's super easy because they aren't too mobile yet (but they demand lots of time and attention).

      At about nine months I began training my son to play in his playard. I'd sit right next to him with a book and tell him "This is YOUR time to play quietly and this is Mommy's time to read."

      So I would direct him with toys and things. We'd work a little on this each day. Eventually I could move around and clean and do all sorts of stuff and he'd play quietly in his playyard. It was pretty big so he had lots of room to move around.

      Delete
  8. Nan,

    Just liked your FB page. Loved this post! Pinning it too. :-) Featuring at Family Fun Friday!
    Monica
    http://happyandblessedhome.com/category/family-fun/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for pinning and for featuring my post, Monica! I am honored! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love this! There's a new link-up party going on at One Sharendipity Place and we would love for you to join us! Here's the link if you want to come: http://thet2women.com/welcome-to-one-sharendipity-place-link-up-4/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Suzanne, thanks for the invite! I love linky parties and will pop over! ;)

      Delete

So glad you stopped by today! Please feel free to subscribe to my blog and/or follow me on facebook. The links are at the bottom of each post.

Thank you for leaving a comment. I love hearing from you! Please keep it nice and sweet and family friendly so I don't have to delete!

Please don't leave a link to your blog (or anyone else's) in your comment. Due to google's new comment spam policy, any comments with links will have to be deleted to protect both you and me!