Sunday, May 26, 2013

Let's Stop Comparing Ourselves To Others

Making your home sing Mondays


Welcome to the Making Your Home Sing Monday linky party! Every day you are doing something to make your house into a home for yourself and your family (if you have one). 

My point with each Monday post is, what are YOU doing or going to do today to make your home sing? It can be an attitude or an action. So have fun, do some blog hopping, link up and don't forget to give a link back to this post!  Thanks!

Topics can include marriage, parenting, encouraging women, organization, cleaning, saving money, our behavior and attitudes, homemaking, homeschooling, recipes....the opportunities are endless.


Note:  We had 75 linkups last week which is awesome!  Don't forget to visit one another and try to leave a comment on at least one blog to encourage someone today!  :)

When I was a little girl I loved to play "pretend."  My friends and I would choose someone to be.  I was a bit of a tomboy so sometimes I was a pirate.  Sometimes I was a beautiful princess, sometimes a mommy, sometimes a cowgirl, sometimes I was a superhero.

It was so much fun to pretend to be someone else.  I would have a car, a big house, a dozen children, maybe even my own jet!  My world was whatever I created it to be.

Sometimes as adults, we "pretend" to be someone else.  Many times we don't even realize we're doing it.

We watch how our friend is so welcoming to others, or how our pastor's wife parents her children, or how our neighbor always seems to be so patient and kind, and so we adopt their behavior.

It's not a bad thing to emulate someone else's positive behavior. 

But sometimes we can get so lost in trying to BE like that person we admire so much that we get discouraged because we feel like we fail to measure up.

We fail at being them because we AREN'T them.

We forget that God designed us with our own unique gifts and talents and personality.

We forget that we are to model Christ, not our best friend.

We forget that God's plan for us is based on our personality, our gifts and our abilities; not our best friend's, not our pastor's wife, not our neighbor's. 

You will always fail at being someone else.  Always.

But you cannot fail at being yourself. Oh sure, you may stumble a bit as you find yourself losing your patience or snapping at someone or saying words you wish you could take back.

We all fail at one time or another.  This is because we're not perfect, we sin, but we're growing every day  and prayerfully becoming more like Him.

But you won't ever fail at being YOU. You can't, because God designed you to succeed.  He has given you just the right gifts, talents, personality and abilities to succeed at being YOU.

Image courtesy of Ambro at FreeDigitalPhotos.net
 

Would you rather be the best YOU that you can be or an inferior copy of someone else?


So stop comparing yourself to someone else and feeling guilty because you don't measure up.  You were never created to measure up to them.  

He has equipped you to be the YOU that He has designed you to be.

The you that follows HIM.  You fail when you try to be someone else.  You will succeed when you try and be yourself.  Just keep being YOU and following after Him and make your home sing today!


What are you doing or going to do today to make your home sing? Please go here for instructions and/or ideas and come back here to link up to join us today! Please do not put your own "Making Your Home Sing Monday" Linky on your blog. As always, please don't forget to link to this post so that others can join the fun!

If you don't want to miss any blog posts, you can follow me or subscribe in your reader or by email.  You   can also find me here on  facebook as well!  I'd love to connect with you!

I am linking up to these parties:



The Life Of FaithTheBetterMom.comWhat Joy Is MinePhotobucketHappy Wives ClubExceptionalisticCovered in GraceRaising Imperfection i should be mopping the floor125 Titus 2 Tuesday ButtonCourtship ConnectionTeaching What Is Good Messy MarriageDucks 'n a RowFamily Home and Lifehttp://www.wildernesswife.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/Wicked-Good-Wednesday-Blog-Hop-Button.jpg Wise-Woman-Builds All Things with Purposekatherines corner PhotobucketMissional Womenhttp://christianmommyblogger.comHappyandBlessedHome.com Please save image and put it in your post or on your sidebar.

30 comments:

  1. So true! Sometimes I wonder what we all could accomplish for God if we stopped comparing ourselves to others and wasting that time, even in thought! Great post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. We waste a lot of time that would be better used elsewhere for Him!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for hosting the inspiring link-up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! Thanks for linking up!

      Delete
  3. Yes, becoming like Jesus is my desire in life. He never disappoints and never fails!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, he never does, does He? He is the one Person we can always count on in this world!

      Delete
  4. I'm SOOOO guilty of constantly comparing myself to others. Great reminder to just do me. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We all need that reminder now and then, don't we?!

      Delete
  5. I fall into this trap at times for sure! I know that my fulfillment only is in Christ, but I forget at times and play the comparison game. And it only hurts me, does not build me up, it is a drain game. I've seen it in myself and in others who are struggling against it too. Thanks for your encouraging words!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it funny how we play that comparison game and yet we never win! So why do we keep playing it? ;)

      Delete
  6. Thanks for the link up. I apologize for not linking back right away. I am out of town and just now got access to a computer. My Ipad does not allow me to edit so easily.
    Janine@mylampisfull

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem, my friend! No worries! Thanks for linking up!

      Delete
  7. Great, thanks for the link up, this is my first link up and I am looking forward to more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so happy to have you, Pam! Can't wait to read your post!

      Delete
  8. Great thoughts! I enjoyed this very much. It's so true, God made me exactly how He wants!! Wow! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, Tandis I read your comment wrong, lol! I thought you said "God made me exactly how He wants! Woof!"

      And I thought "Woof? What does she mean by woof? As in a dog?" and I thought you were being funny. Then I reread it again.

      Delete
  9. Such an important topic! I learned so many years ago that I did this often and had to retrain myself not to compare myself to others. Now, it's rare that I do it and when I do, I have to remind myself how foolish it is (and then I move on :)).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the moving on is the important part, right? We don't dwell there, we remind ourselves and go do something else! ;)

      Delete
  10. I think this is such a common problem for women. Maybe men do it too, but I sure don't hear about it as often from them. You really hit the nail on the head when you asked, "Would you rather be the best YOU that you can be or an inferior copy of someone else?" I love that! It's so true. I want my my one and only inspiration to be Christ! Maybe I don't always let Him live through me perfectly, but I'm learning to keep my eyes on Him and not on my pretty, smart, talented neighbors--like you, Nan! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are such a sweetie and such an encouragement to us all, Beth! I, too, want Him to be my inspiration and more of Him and less of me!

      Delete
  11. This is a great post. I wish there was a way to make this sink in for my 14-yr old daughter who is soooooo into everyone else's opinion when there's no need to be at all because she's absolutely marvelous just the way she is.

    Visiting/following today from Thursday's Favorite Things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think she will eventually "get" it, right? I mean, we eventually did. With even a year or two comes a bit more maturity. I know my self- esteem was much higher at 18 or 19 than it was at 13 or 14.

      Delete
  12. We try to complete our own identity by walking someone else's path. Thanks for the great post. http://choosetotrust.com/2012/05/follow-your-own-path/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, and for US it only leads to frustration, doesn't it? Because we aren't them and their path is shaped for their feet and walk and ours is shaped for ours.

      Delete
  13. Thanks for stopping over to WholeHearted Home and sharing this post.

    ReplyDelete
  14. YES!! {emphasis intended!} We so desperately need to stop comparing ourselves to others! It chips away at makes us uniquely God's when we try to fit into some cookie cutter mold. Thank you, friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love how you said "it chips away" because that is what it does. It slowly erodes us! Thanks for hosting, Kasey!

      Delete
  15. YES! Amen!

    Thanks for linking this post to Woman to Woman's Word Filled Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete

So glad you stopped by today! Please feel free to subscribe to my blog and/or follow me on facebook. The links are at the bottom of each post.

Thank you for leaving a comment. I love hearing from you! Please keep it nice and sweet and family friendly so I don't have to delete!

Please don't leave a link to your blog (or anyone else's) in your comment. Due to google's new comment spam policy, any comments with links will have to be deleted to protect both you and me!