Sunday, April 7, 2013

What Things Have YOU Been Ignoring Lately? & MYHSM Linky Party


Welcome to the Making Your Home Sing Monday linky party! Every day you are doing something to make your house into a home for yourself and your family (if you have one). 

My point with each Monday post is, what are YOU doing or going to do today to make your home sing? It can be an attitude or an action. So have fun, do some blog hopping and if you want, link up!

Topics can include marriage, parenting, encouraging women, organization, cleaning, saving money, our behavior and attitudes, homemaking, homeschooling, recipes....the opportunities are endless.


Tell me, what is one item that you have walked by, day after day, and not bothered to pick up and put away? 

What is one thing that needs doing that you have ignored?

What is the one chore that you consistently ignore week after week?

What is one phone call/person that you need to make/see but haven't?

Anyone?

I'll start.  My crock pot has been sitting on the dining room table for a little over a week now.  I have not put it away.  There's a place for it, and I know where that place is, but I just don't feel like bending down and putting it away.  I haven't asked anyone else to do it either.  So there it sits on the dining table day after day (we usually eat in the kitchen).

I don't want to put that crock pot away.  But here's the thing:

I can't base my decisions and actions on whether or not I want to do it or feel like doing it.  If I did, nothing would get done around here.


I rarely "feel" like cleaning the bathrooms, doing laundry, or cooking dinner.  But I do it because I happen to like clean clothes, clean bathrooms and I happen to like eating.  It gets done because I don't usually stop and consider whether or not I want to do it, I just do it.

Isn't it funny how we sometimes mistake "wanting to do it" for "needing to do it?"  Why are we waiting until we want to do something? 

It would take me a minute or so to put that crock pot away. Literally.  And yet I keep walking by it and let me tell you, it is not adding to my home decor.



Once you've made your list write down your reasons or excuses as to why you haven't done them.  Are they valid?

Here's mine:  What is one item that you have walked by, day after day, and not bothered to pick up and put away?  Crock pot.  Don't want to.

What is one thing that needs doing that you have ignored?  Making a copy of a paper and mailing it.  Don't want to.

What is the one chore that you consistently ignore week after week? Mopping the floor.  Don't want to.

What is one phone call/person that you need to make/see but haven't?  Calling insurance company.  Don't want to.

I have a lot of "I don't to's."  How many do YOU have?  Sure, I have some other excuses too.

I never notice the crock pot and when I do, it's not the ":right time" to put it away.  My hands are full now so I can't do it now, I'll do it later.  I was just going to do something else instead.  I forgot.

I don't want to make a copy of the paper right now.  I don't feel like finding a stamp and it's raining so I don't want to walk out to the mail box.

My back is getting stronger so I probably COULD mop the floor but it just seems like a lot of work right now and so I'll do it "next week."

I don't feel like making a phone call right now. I'll do it after breakfast, after lunch, before 5:00 p.m........ooooops, too late, they're closed!

Sometimes, I use the excuse that it doesn't HAVE to be done but it "should" be done, and since it doesn't have to be done, I don't do it.

But honestly, it all boils down to one answer: I don't have any desire to do it right now.

We mistake desire for discipline.  Desire is not going to make you get up off the couch and do what you need to do, but Discipline will.  Desire says "wouldn't that be nice?" and Discipline says "Well let's do it then!"

Desire says "I wish!" and Discipline says "I will!"
 
So make it part of your plan to get some (or all) of these things done this week, if possible.  Do it with a good attitude, a smile on your face and a joyful heart as unto the Lord and make your home sing this week!

"Whatever you do, do your work heartily, as for the Lord rather than for men," Col. 3:23 (NAS)


What are you doing or going to do today to make your home sing? Please go here for instructions and/or ideas and come back here to link up to join us today! Please do not put your own "Making Your Home Sing Monday" Linky on your blog. As always, please don't forget to link to this post so that others can join the fun!

If you don't want to miss any blog posts, you can follow me or subscribe in your reader or by email.  You   can also find me here on  facebook as well!  I'd love to connect with you!



I am linking up to these linky parties:


The Life Of FaithTheBetterMom.comWhat Joy Is MineCourtship ConnectionWise-Woman-Builds Missional WomenPhotobucketHappy Wives ClubExceptionalisticCovered in Grace
All Things with Purposekatherines corner
http://christianmommyblogger.comPhotobucket

29 comments:

  1. Linked up before you had to ask me! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You beat me to it, lol! Thanks for linking up today! ;)

      Delete
  2. Hm... things that are not adding to my house... like you the crockpot is never really away (I'm not sure there is an 'away'), neither is the pancake griddle, or kitchen aide mixer... perhaps some spring cleaning is in order... :) you always inspire me!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you're inspired! ;) Those kitchen appliances are always a necessary evil, lol! I'm always fighting over which of them get counter space and which don't!

      Delete
  3. Thanks for hosting!! Blessings and a hug :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank YOU for linking up today and blessings and a hug to you too! :)

      Delete
  4. Cleaning and organizing aren't my favorite things to do but I feel so much BETTER whey all that stuff is DONE! And sanity is priceless!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I agree. I just don't do well in cluttered chaos. I start to get grumpy, lol!

      Delete
  5. Hmmm, are we related? I'm very good at procrastinating on putting something away because I don't feel like it. And it would take less than two minutes. Feelings are so good at winning out over discipline. I don't always feel like making lunch, but knowing I have a hungry family coming to the table at noon, keeps me accountable. :)

    One of my recent goals has been this: Every day right after lunch, clean up the kitchen really well and put things away. I usually have a few things sitting on my kitchen island that need to go downstairs or to the garage to the recycling containers. Just knowing this is my time and working hard to make myself do it all before I go do something else has been nice. I still don't always "feel" like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to come back and add that I thought about your post this morning and I completed a SIMPLE chore I had been putting off. We had extra breakfast casserole in the refrigerator and for a couple of days, I've thought that I should freeze some of it. Kept putting it off. I mean, I would have to dig out a container, transfer casserole, cover and label, and then carry it ALL the way down to the basement freezer. SO HARD!!! I did it. It's done. Didn't take long. :)

      Delete
    2. I'm so excited that you did this! :) Isn't it amazing how you feel after you do it? I'm usually standing there thinking "Wow, that was so easy. Why did I wait so long?" Lol!

      For the record, my crock pot is finally put away too, haha.

      Delete
  6. I NEED to make phone calls! Thanks for reminding me. I also have to put away Christmas decorations, they're piled in the garage.

    I like how you broke it down into ONE THING. I can do ONE THING.

    Mommamindy.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do better when I limit my choices, lol! Otherwise it all just seems overwhelming!

      Delete
  7. Usually its the socks or toys on the floor that I walk past... until my husband gets home and gets upset because he doesn't like the toys on the floor that I've been successfully ignoring all day. :) So I need to start cleaning up (or getting my kids to clean up) so he can come home and relax after work. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I understand! It's easy to ignore that stuff in favor of doing other stuff!

      We used to have three toy pickups a day: before lunch, before dinner, before bed. It really helped us keep on top of the toys!

      We also had toy designated rooms and toy-free rooms, that helped too! :)

      Delete
  8. One? Just one? Just ONE thing I'm not doing? As if, Nan. As. if.

    On my list:

    -Cleaning out my car. (If I were really ambitious, I would vacuum it. But I would settle for being able to see the back seat again.)

    -Dealing with a small stack of Toddler Accessories on my kitchen counter. I just don't understand why this pair of Halloween socks cannot ever make it to her sock drawer. (Yeah, you heard me. HALLOWEEN.)

    -Chore I never attend, ever: Cleaning out the tub. I mean, I just don't understand why a place that regularly has hot water and soap swirling around inside it NEEDS to be scrubbed with Clorox. Doesn't it get clean when I do?

    Have a lovely week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahaha, your "as if" comment made me laugh!

      Have you ever tried the Magic Eraser on the tub ring? It's amazing and words wonderfully!

      Delete
  9. My 1 big thing is actually a few things lumped into the same category. Christmas Decorations. Yep, that's right. You know how it seems you always forget a few things when you put everything away? Well my few things are neatly stacked in my laundry room on my folding table and have been there since January. I really need to put them away. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I can soooo relate. The other day I walked by a shelf and was stunned to see two Christmas decorations sitting on it. TWO!

      I couldn't understand how I'd missed them and now that I think about it, they're still sitting on a table, waiting to be put away, lol!

      Delete
  10. I've been working on that Bible verse with my girls but as I talk with them about it I am convicted by it as well. When we think about working for the Lord, it sure does change our mindset during our chore doesn't it? A great blog! THanks. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it does! It just takes away the ability to feel sorry for ourselves, the sting of feeling like we're not appreciated, and reminds us that everything we do has value when we're doing it for HIM!

      Delete
  11. So happy to find your party! I saw you at Courtship Connection-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so happy you found me too, lol! So excited you linked up and can't wait to read it! :)

      Delete
  12. great post! I'm struggling with this problem right now!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I think I will always be struggling with it, lol! I need to continue to follow my own advice and target something and then deal with it, and also remember to have a good attitude about it! ;)

      Delete
  13. Discipline: I need to work on that! Insurance paperwork and taxes are waiting on me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My hubby does taxes but I have a couple of phone calls to make on other stuff so I hear ya! ;0)

      Delete
  14. Does "going outside" count as something I've been ignoring lately? Sometimes I get so engrossed in work that I forget to go outside (I work from home). I need to get better about that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh most definitely! And bubble baths too! I do know what you mean, though. I've had days where I was home all day and didn't go outside, although I'm not really engrossed in any work, not paid work anyway!

      Delete

So glad you stopped by today! Please feel free to subscribe to my blog and/or follow me on facebook. The links are at the bottom of each post.

Thank you for leaving a comment. I love hearing from you! Please keep it nice and sweet and family friendly so I don't have to delete!

Please don't leave a link to your blog (or anyone else's) in your comment. Due to google's new comment spam policy, any comments with links will have to be deleted to protect both you and me!