Sunday, April 21, 2013

Minor Cleaning Can Make A Major Impact In Your Home & MYHSM Linky Party

Making your home sing Mondays


Welcome to the Making Your Home Sing Monday linky party! Every day you are doing something to make your house into a home for yourself and your family (if you have one). 

My point with each Monday post is, what are YOU doing or going to do today to make your home sing? It can be an attitude or an action. So have fun, do some blog hopping and if you want, link up!

Topics can include marriage, parenting, encouraging women, organization, cleaning, saving money, our behavior and attitudes, homemaking, homeschooling, recipes....the opportunities are endless.


What is one thing that you could do, in five minutes or less,  in EACH room of your home to improve that room today?

Pause a moment and look around the room that you are currently in.  Is there something that you could do, right now, to make an instant improvement in there?

For example, I am in the kitchen as I write this.  On the breakfast bar there is a container of vitamins, a cordless phone,  yesterday's mail, an empty bowl from last night's popcorn, a camera, a folded up t-shirt, a magazine and a box of medicine, not to mention my laptop.

I peered BEHIND my laptop and there is a set of  hand weights, our church's phone directory, our address Rolodex (my son and his fiance are working on their wedding list), a greeting card and license tags for our dogs' collars.  If I walked through my home I know that I would see other little things here and there that need to be put away.

Maybe you're in the family room and as you look around you, you see that there are several dvd's stacked on top of the t.v. cabinet, a bag of chips, empty pop cans, somebody's shoes and socks, the pillows from the couch are on the floor, remotes are everywhere, and several newspapers are lying around.  Did I mention that the newspapers are from last MONTH?

Perhaps you're in the kitchen and see that there are dirty dishes in the sink, clean dishes piled high in the drying rack, open jars of peanut butter and jelly and a knife sitting on the counter, yesterday's groceries still mostly unpacked on the counter, some mail and papers scattered all around and the garbage can is overflowing.


Just a few things on this table, hardly worth wasting your time, right?  You can do it tomorrow.


Or you can do it TODAY and make a major impact in a small corner with just a minor change.

 Maybe you just walked by the bathroom and noticed that there are towels on the floor, your shampoo, deodorant, perfume, makeup, hair dryer, hubby's shaving cream and the earrings you wore yesterday are all over the counter, a big glob of toothpaste is in the sink and the dog got into the garbage.

Perhaps you are in your bedroom and you see that your bed is unmade, you did not put away your clothes last night after you got ready for bed, your shoes are lying on the floor right where you kicked them off, your sock drawer is overflowing, and some dirty dishes are on the nightstand.

Maybe you're in the living room and you are admiring the piles of clean laundry on the couch waiting to be folded, a wadded up tissue that you're NOT admiring, several library books, more newspapers, an empty milk glass, and your coat and purse are tossed over the back of the couch.

For some people, the problem is time. We think that we don't have enough of it.  We wait for big blocks of time to come, hours even, so that we can get our home "ALL CLEAN" at once.

If we can't get it ALL clean at once, then we don't want to clean it at all.  So it just sits there, getting messier by the minute while we wait for the huge blocks of time that never come.

You don't have time to worry about time.  You don't have the time.  A journey is taken one step at a time, a pound is lost one ounce at a time.

A home is cleaned one item at a time.

Let's say you put away the dvds in the family room.  Sure the pop cans, shoes and socks are still there and the pillows are still on the floor.  But the dvd's are put away and so that area is neat.



Never underestimate the major impact of a minor change.


The next time you're in there you can put away a few more things.  Soon your whole family room will be neat, and it all only took minutes, and you can do the same throughout your home.

Make good use of small changes this week and you'll see a BIG change in making your home sing!  When we bless our home in a small way we bless our family in an even bigger way.  A calm, orderly, peaceful home can make for a peaceful mom!  ;)

What are you doing or going to do today to make your home sing? Please go here for instructions and/or ideas and come back here to link up to join us today! Please do not put your own "Making Your Home Sing Monday" Linky on your blog. As always, please don't forget to link to this post so that others can join the fun!

If you don't want to miss any blog posts, you can follow me or subscribe in your reader or by email.  You   can also find me here on  facebook as well!  I'd love to connect with you! 

I am linking up to these parties:


The Life Of FaithTheBetterMom.comWhat Joy Is MinePhotobucketHappy Wives ClubExceptionalisticCovered in GraceRaising Imperfection i should be mopping the floorCourtship ConnectionWise-Woman-Builds Missional Women
All Things with Purposekatherines corner
http://christianmommyblogger.comPhotobucketButton pic 9 and  A Bowl Full Of Lemons

31 comments:

  1. You're totally right, the smallest thing really can make a difference. I try to never walk down our hallway empty handed. There is ALWAYS something that needs to go whichever direction I'm headed... I just need to make myself grab it on my way and then put it away at the other end. Little easy way to keep my home tidier.
    Great reminder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I can always find something too. I try not to leave empty handed as it's a good habit to abide by, but sometimes I forget! ;) (Because sometimes I have a book in one hand and cookie in the other, lol!)

      Delete
  2. Hi, Momstheword!
    I thank you for being such a sweet hostess :) I would like to ask you to consider adding Deep Roots At Home to your link-up list...it is "EOA" Wednesday if you've never been there. I think you would be a great addition to the community of ladies there! thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the invite, my sweet friend! I wouldn't miss it for the world! ;)

      Delete
  3. Since I'm a full time freelance writer I find I can write for four or six hours and never think of getting up. Which is hard on a fibromyalgia. I've begun setting my alarm for every hour. Not only does it help with pain, I can get a lot done in the 5-10 minute break. And I write so much better when my environment is picked up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, I can't believe you can sit still that long, lol! My back is so much better but is still recovering from my injury, so I cannot sit very long without pain. I wiggle a lot, haha.

      I agree, I function better in a calm environment than a chaotic one, because the clutter acts like a magnet to my eyes.

      Delete
  4. Hi Nan!! Thanks for hosting such a nice party!!

    What a fun way of encouraging us ladies to pick up our house!! Mine needs some help these days and from my slider rocker where I sit feeding the babies by laptop-light, I can see: a jacket tossed on the recliner, a jacket on my dh's (not mine of course) desk chair that needs hanging up, a pile of books on the end table, essential oil, cell phone, pen, pacifier, cordless phone, another pile of books, more JUNK under the coffee table, basket of diapers, basket of baby clothes, empty baby bottle on the floor, diaper I forgot to put in the garbage, and a baby sweat shirt all on or under the coffee table.

    Then, since I can see the kitchen from where I am sitting: sugar bag someone promised to take to the pantry, old mail that was too important to be tossed, and thankfully I can't see the counter BUT my reputation is salvaged because I know nothing is on the counter that shouldn't be...and just a few empty bottles in the sink.

    A trick to cleaning a house is to keep the hot spots under control and it looks like you cleaned for hours when you didn't!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well girl, you may be excused for the most part because you are raising twin babies!

      But I love what you said because it's so true and I've always said it. If you keep up the hots spots and maintenance cleaning you can get by without the deep cleaning for quite awhile.

      That's how I survive in a crisis, lol!

      Delete
  5. I've procrastinated about picking stuff up and then timed myself when I did it and it is always amazing what you can get done in ten or fifteen minutes. I know I waste time because I'll think, "I don't want to get started on that because..." And in reality if I would do a little, it is THAT much!

    My kids and I have cleaning chores for each day and it helps keep everything tidier. I also like doing a pickup and cleanup time each day, but we don't always get it done. Even three times a week helps though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's always amazing how big I build up a chore in my mind, lol! Even unloading the dishwasher only takes a few minutes.

      Yes, every little bit helps. I have my weekly chores that are supposed to be done daily and that helps keeps me on top of things. I haven't been completing all of them lately though.

      Delete
  6. Nan thanks so much for hosting and for taking the time to stop by my blog,read it and comment. Sorry about the late night craving ;) Dessert tonight?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahaha! I think I gained five pounds just reading about it. You know, I may have to have one for dessert tonight, you're on! ;)

      Delete
  7. Hi dear Nan,

    I loved your post today. You are so right, just the smallest thing can make a difference :) Thanks for hosting - it's always a joy to link up with you. Have a great week.

    Love and hugs,
    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes after I pick up a few things I stop and ask myself "Now why did I wait so long to do that?"

      It always is such a small effort but makes such a big change that I never understand why I waited so long.

      Delete
  8. As soon as I read "look around the room you're now in and see what you could do ..." I looked around my office and laughed out loud. Junk everywhere, papers, meds, crochet, empty soda can - you get the picture! Thanks for the motivation to clean this mess up right now. Thanks also for hostessing the party, I linked my post about "Learning to Keep My Mouth Shut!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha, glad I could inspire you, lol! I'm so happy that you linked up and can't wait to read it!

      Delete
  9. Hi, Nan, you've hit the nail on the head, here! I had let some things go so long, I had to literally dig myself out from under, lol, but now that it's done, I find I can keep everything pretty clean by spending just a few minutes each day picking up, straightening, and putting things away--and that's what my post is about, today, as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to read your post! I'm not there yet but I will be!

      It's amazing how quickly things pile up, that's true, but also amazing how just minimum maintenance can keep things functioning for a long time! ;)

      Delete
  10. I try to not leave a room without taking one thing to put away. All day long I run around doing that one little thing, then wondering why I didn't do it as soon as I used it - like I always nag the kids!

    But, you're so right. Sometimes if I don't have time to do it all, it gets discouraing. Thanks for the pep talk. Ready to do a few little things in each room today!

    mommamindy.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do the same thing. I ignore stuff, finally get to it and then ask myself why I didn't do it sooner, lol!

      Delete
  11. I'm quite a clean freak and you are right ... sometimes the smallest things can make the biggest differences!

    Thank you for linking to Raising Imperfection.
    Please come back Friday to see if you were featured. :)

    ¤´¨)
    ¸.•*´
    (¸¤ Lanaya | xoxo
    www.raising-reagan.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to be a huge neat freak. My home was immaculate and we went to bed every night with everything in its place.

      But my hubby doesn't like living like that. So I have relaxed a bit and still keep the main rooms as neat as I desire, but allow some flexibility in the family room and in the bedrooms.

      Delete
  12. To make my home "sing," I'm going to focus on keeping my desk area clean. I have a tendency to leave everything all over my desk from day-to-day if I'm working on it. But by keeping it clean each day, it'll make my home (or the area where my desk is in the very least) sing a beautiful tune.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love how you worded that in keeping with the "singing" theme! I'll bet that desk will make you smile every time you walk by it! ;)

      Delete
  13. Loved the reminder that little things can make a big difference. And I agree wholeheartedly. Thank you for the post and link up today friend. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And thank YOU so much for linking up with us! :)

      Delete
  14. I love my timer and used it today to do a quick tidy up!

    I'm using Feedly after finally pinning my starred items on Pinterest. Google shutting down really was a wrench in my gears for sure!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried to install Feedly and I can't believe I did anything wrong as all I did was push a button, but something went wrong.

      So I have to ask hubby to uninstall it and I need to try again as it didn't work!

      Delete
  15. Hey there, stopping by from the Blog Hop! Just wanted to let you know I am now following you via GFC! I hope you'll get the chance to visit me :o) You can find me here:

    Blog url
    http://www.croppedstories.blogspot.com

    Bloglovin'
    http://www.bloglovin.com/blog/3718883

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you fore the follow! I'm not really familiar with what blog lovin although I've heard the name. I will totally come over and visit you as I love making new friends!

      Delete
  16. wow you sure have a lot of Link-er up-ers now! ;)
    I love this idea! I try but often fail. Like cleaning windows! Man how long does it take to clean windows? No time really, but it´s the last thing I ever think to do.

    I try to pick up things regularly but there are days that I just get really sick of it! Haha!

    ReplyDelete

So glad you stopped by today! Please feel free to subscribe to my blog and/or follow me on facebook. The links are at the bottom of each post.

Thank you for leaving a comment. I love hearing from you! Please keep it nice and sweet and family friendly so I don't have to delete!

Please don't leave a link to your blog (or anyone else's) in your comment. Due to google's new comment spam policy, any comments with links will have to be deleted to protect both you and me!