Friday, April 12, 2013

Cooking With Mom's The Word: Quick and Easy Way To Label Leftovers

Welcome back to another Cooking With Mom's The Word.  I have a little tip for you, and by little I mean little, so don't get too excited.

I don't like to play guessing games with my food.  When it comes to the food in my fridge I want to know what's in there and I don't want to work too hard at it.  After all, there is a reason I am a Lazy Mom.

I don't want to have to sit there and wonder what is in the container.  I want to know without having to open it.  It's a "sticky" situation.


So I use masking tape and a sharpie and just label and date my food.  Now I want you to know that I don't date date my food.  We have never so much as danced together less much gone out for dinner and a movie.

However, there may have been a couple of times when I may have flirted with chocolate a time or two but can you blame me?  Just sayin'.....    But I digress.

Labeling is quick, it's easy and the tape comes off easily afterward.  You will be happy to know that the tape can also go through the dishwasher without falling off and without the words washing off.  Don't ask how I know that.  This will work with leftovers as well as on containers in your pantry, although you might need to move the tape to the front.



I do feel the need to tell you that I am not roasting any drugs here.  You can put your fears to rest.  So what's in the container?  What, you don't trust me?



And now you know.  Hungry, aren't you?



If you don't want to miss any blog posts, you can follow me or subscribe in your reader or by email.  You   can also find me here on facebook as well!  I'd love to connect with you!

Be sure and come back Monday and link up to the Making Your Home Sing Monday  linky party!

Today I'm linking up to these parties:

TheBetterMom.comHappy Wives ClubCovered in GraceWhat Joy Is MinePhotobucketCourtship ConnectionWise-Woman-Builds Missional WomenExceptionalistic
All Things with Purposekatherines corner
http://christianmommyblogger.comPhotobucket

23 comments:

  1. good advice, I love roasted potato's

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh me too and the recipe is just sooooo easy!

      Delete
  2. Little tips are fine by me : )

    Thanks

    Lesley x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I definitely should date our leftovers! I dislike very much doing the taste test, dating would be much more pleasant. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh, I would live in fear of the taste test, lol! My kids buy stuff and put it in there and then forget about it. At least my way, I know if it's safe or not.

      Delete
  4. Great idea! I always forget how long it's been in the fridge so now I can write the date - thanks smart lady :)

    Hugs,
    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! ;)

      I always SAY that I will remember the date, but then I forget. So I have to write it down.

      Delete
  5. My mom did this all the time when I was growing up. I use tape some, but I often have labels and grab them to use. I also write right on the aluminum foil when I'm covering something with it.

    I can really understand your flirtation with chocolate.... ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really? I have no idea what my mom did. I'll have to ask her, but with six kids I doubt if she had too many leftovers, lol!

      I write on the aluminum foil or the freezer wrap too.

      Delete
  6. Thank you for sharing your lovely blog at the Thursday Favorite Things blog hop xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello, You're very funny and I enjoy your post!
    This is a really good idea!
    By the way I do get surprised at times with the leftoversI find in my frig...
    Sometimes we can get so particular about things, it becomes way too much stress.
    Blessings, Roxy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! That's very sweet of you! Glad you stopped by.

      I don't mind being surprised by my leftovers in there but I hate being horrified by them, lol! This is why I label but my kids DON'T label and that's where the horror comes in, haha!

      Delete
  8. Hello There! My mom in law Roxy said I needed to check you out. You are one funny gal. I like it! Great idea on marking your leftovers. I mark my containers when I freeze them, but never thought about doing it in my fridge. Thanks for sharing....
    Have a great week!
    Blessings,
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you popped over to say hello. I love meeting new friends! You have a greet week too!

      Delete
  9. As always, I love this post! You make homemaking seem so easy (and fun :)). Last year, I discovered these really cool Ziploc containers that are glass with a thick rubber lid that can go directly from the freezer to the oven. They're great because I can see what is in each one and I stack them on top of each other in the freezer. The only thing I haven't been doing is labeling them with dates. I guess the whole, "If it's in the freezer, it's still good" theory probably isn't true :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to check those Ziploc containers out, I don't recall having seen them. Obviously the glass must be really thick in order to go from the freezer to the oven. So cool!

      Love your quote, lol!

      Delete
  10. Yes, I label and date my food. Good tip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just can't trust myself to remember whether it's still good or not as I would always forget the date if I didn't label, lol!

      Delete
  11. giggle, roasted pot...I label and date all of mine too. Thank you for sharing at the Thursday Favorite Things Hop xo

    ReplyDelete

So glad you stopped by today! Please feel free to subscribe to my blog and/or follow me on facebook. The links are at the bottom of each post.

Thank you for leaving a comment. I love hearing from you! Please keep it nice and sweet and family friendly so I don't have to delete!

Please don't leave a link to your blog (or anyone else's) in your comment. Due to google's new comment spam policy, any comments with links will have to be deleted to protect both you and me!