Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Boys Are Icky



I was a tomboy when I was a kid.  I climbed trees, played tag, rode my bike, played football (flag), baseball, and soccer during the long summer days with my friends.  Skateboarded every day and tore holes in my dresses from the wheels ripping through them or from falling. 

I tore hole after hole after hole in my dresses until my mom finally allowed me to wear shirts and shorts to play in instead. 

I also played with dolls  but mostly I followed my older brothers around and we dug forts in the ground and made treehouses and got muddy and dirty and had a blast.  You would think I would have followed my older sisters around but the boys just seemed to be having lots of adventures and having fun, lol!

So, given my background, you would have thought that I would have been prepared to be the mother of boys.

You would be wrong.


I didn't mind the snake they brought home but the frog and the lizard and the walking sticks and all the other "pet" insects freaked me out and the gerbils bit me.  When the walking sticks multiplied and the itty bitty ones snuck out of the cage and were everywhere, well, that was the subject of nightmares.  Ugh!

I didn't mind the boys' collections of rocks and bottle caps and tattoo transfers and pokemon cards, but I dreaded emptying their pockets during laundry days because I never knew what soggy, stinky, sticky thing they might have found fascinating that day.

I didn't mind their occasional habit of chewing bubble gum but I did have to google how to get bubble gum out of hair after my oldest fell asleep with it in his mouth one night.

I didn't mind them having fun and running around but I did feel bad for the trips to the ER that we had to make one year,  three weekends in a row!

After that we once again initiated discussions about walking in front of the swing set when other people are swinging, slamming doors on other people's fingers and spinning circles in front of the fireplace.

I didn't mind them learning some independence and "mommy, let me do it" but discovered that a seven year old is not quite as "old" as he thinks he is and that stitches, apparently, are a badge of honor.

I didn't mind them having friends over but I never realized how loud boys having fun could be.  My ears are still ringing.

I didn't mind visits to my friend's farm or camping but didn't realize that one child could dirty and go through one pair of jeans, a shirt, socks and shoes every hour upon the hour when it's raining or there's a river or pond nearby. After that I learned to pack at least four clothing changes per child per day.

I didn't mind dirty hands and dirty faces which can be so easily seen and washed but didn't notice those dirty feet until bedtime and those dirty necks which are so easily hidden.

Boys are icky, let's face it.  They're messy and muddy and stinky and smelly and obnoxious.  ;)   They are also wonderful, loving, funny, smart, adventurous, courageous, kind, compassionate, focused, wise, hard workers and take good care of mommy!

All those traits of a boy that moms just shake their heads over are what turn them into wonderful, kind, loving, strong men who make wonderful husbands and loving fathers!  Who knew?

God did!  ;)


If you don't want to miss any blog posts, you can follow me or subscribe in your reader or by email.  You   can also find me here on facebook as well!  I'd love to connect with you!

Be sure and come back Monday and link up to the Making Your Home Sing Monday  linky party!



I am linking up to these linky parties today:

Wise-Woman-Builds http://christianmommyblogger.comMissional WomenHappy Wives ClubWhat Joy Is MinePhotobucketCovered in Grace Growing HomeCourtship ConnectionThe Life Of FaithTheBetterMom.com

5 comments:

  1. I adore this. My two year old is ALL boy and since his older sister was the only kid I'd ever had experience with, I had no idea what having a boy entailed. I was an only child so I had no brothers to follow around. Let me just tell you it's an experience and offers something new every single day. Sometimes I wonder how I'll ever get him raised but know that it will happen. I love how inquisitive he is and how things fascinate him to no end. He's definitely my rough and tumble but he's also so seriously sweet! I never thought I would want to raise a boy but sure am glad God blessed me with him. I wouldn't have missed this opportunity for the world!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwww, he sounds adorable! It's just a good thing that my husband managed to override some of my over protective tendencies so that they could have a fun childhood, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Once my son decided to 'weed wack' the woods with a stick like daddy did with the weed wacker. He was five. He got the most horrendus case of poison ivy. you'd think he'd stop? No way! He idn't get it.

    Yhanks for linking up over at WholeHearted Home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my! I don't have any boys but we have plenty nephews and grandsons and man o' man do they have a propensity to gravitate toward everything that should NEVER be brought into the house. The good news is they eventually grow out of it (or at least as adults they can turn the garage into a man cave :)).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! I never really thought of it that way before! I have 3 boys. I have a 12 yr old, a 6 yr old and a 4 yr old. And boy they can all be challenging and sometimes all at once. You are right they are icky! But they also have such a sweet and tender heart. Some days you wanna pull your hair out and other days you want all the slimy kisses and dirty hugs. I have yet to experience snake catching and Im thankful for that. I actually think my boys are scared of them and that is okay with me! God molded my boys in the way that would teach me as their mom to handle each one so differently. They are all loved and I know that I am raising soldiers of Christ!! With all the camo and mud!
    Thanks for such a great post!
    Blessings,
    Amy

    ReplyDelete

So glad you stopped by today! Please feel free to subscribe to my blog and/or follow me on facebook. The links are at the bottom of each post.

Thank you for leaving a comment. I love hearing from you! Please keep it nice and sweet and family friendly so I don't have to delete!

Please don't leave a link to your blog (or anyone else's) in your comment. Due to google's new comment spam policy, any comments with links will have to be deleted to protect both you and me!