Sunday, March 10, 2013

From Wishes To Action & MYHSM linky party



Welcome to the Making Your Home Sing Monday linky party! Every day you are doing something to make your house into a home for yourself and your family (if you have one). 

My point with each Monday post is, what are YOU doing or going to do today to make your home sing? It can be an attitude or an action. So have fun, do some blog hopping and if you want, link up!

Topics can include marriage, parenting, encouraging women, organization, cleaning, saving money, our behavior and attitudes, homemaking, homeschooling, recipes....the opportunities are endless.


I don't know about you but I have lots of wishes today.

I wish that I could stop some moments in time.  I wish that I could lose a few pounds.  I wish that my house was cleaner.  I wish that I had more time.  I wish it was sunny outside right now.  I wish my house was bigger.  I wish my back would stop hurting.  I wish I had a bottle of diet pepsi.  I wish that my dogs would stop whining to go outside while I'm trying to write this post.

As a child, I heard stories about wishes, and was encouraged to make a wish upon a star.  I used to gaze up at the stars at night and try to find the first star, then I'd make a wish. At first it was "magical," but none of those wishes ever came true!  Was I wishing too big?

As an adult, are you still making wishes on stars?  Are you still hoping that those wishes will come true? Are you so disillusioned that you don't even dream anymore?



Long ago, in another post, I made the statement "Wishing never gets us anywhere if we don't move it from a thought to an action."

Take a moment right now and write down five wishes that you have.  Now examine them.  Can any of these dreams be moved from thought into action?

Let's look at the examples I listed.

I wish that I could stop some moments in time.  I can't.  I can't go back and relive my children's babyhood or childhood.  I can't hold them on my lap and rock them again.  I can't watch them take their first steps all over again.  But I can enjoy this time with them now.  I can enjoy the "firsts" that they are doing now.  For everything else, I'll just have to cherish my memories and photos and videos of those times.  And someday I'll have grandchildren!  :)

I wish that I could lose a few pounds.  Well, I hate to admit it but I can.  I CAN lose a few pounds. But I have to be willing to do the work.

I wish that my house was cleaner. Again, I have to be willing to put forth the effort.  Stepping away from the t.v. or the computer would be a good first step.  I also have to ask myself which room is bugging me the most and start from there with a quick pick up.

 I wish that I had more time. I have just as much time as you or anyone else has.  I have a choice, I can spend my time on things that aren't as beneficial or helpful to me, or I can invest my time in wise choices that won't frustrate me.  I can still have time to "play," but I also need to make sure that I am using my time wisely when I "work."


 I wish it was sunny outside right now. Well, it's not, and I'm not moving to sunny Florida.  So, this is just something I am going to have to accept and get over it.  I could also lighten up my decor a bit, move some furniture around, buy some flowers, make a change that would make it seem sunny on the inside of my home.

 I wish my house was bigger.  I can go back to work so we can buy a bigger house, or I can learn to manage my "stuff" better.  My house would live bigger if we were managing our clutter better.  I can also learn to be thankful for the home that I have.

I wish my back would stop hurting.  Can't change that, but I can keep doing the exercises my PT gave me.  I can accept that it's going to hurt for today, and trust the Lord for tomorrow, and not let it ruin my day.

I wish I had a bottle of diet pepsi.  Well, who wouldn't?

I wish that my dogs weren't whining to go outside to go the bathroom while I'm trying to write this post.  I can sit here and try and ignore them, thus prolonging the annoyance, or I can let the poor things outside (which I already did several sentences ago, by the way).

Sometimes the wish is not worth the action to us.  For example, I am not willing to go back to work so that we can buy a bigger house.

Some wishes are achievable, but if I am not willing to put my action where my wish is, then maybe it's not really a wish worth having.  If I'm not willing to put forth any effort on my part, then all I'm going to do is wish myself into dissatisfaction.  

I can sit around wishing for change, or I can make the change happen.



I can move it from thought to action by making a plan.  Remember that list you made?  Now write down an action plan next to each wish, if possible.

Some wishes are not possible, or are not likely to happen.  Some wishes just have to rest in the arms of our Savior, and we just have to trust that He knows what's best for us.

But some wishes?  Some wishes are wide open and just waiting for us to grant them.  We can keep wishing, or we can make a plan and get to work.  Are your wishes leading you to dissatisfaction? 

Stop wishing and start working and make your home sing today!

What are you doing or going to do today to make your home sing? Please go here for instructions and/or ideas and come back here to link up to join us today! Please do not put your own "Making Your Home Sing Monday" Linky on your blog. As always, please don't forget to link to this post so that others can join the fun!

If you don't want to miss any blog posts, you can follow me or subscribe in your reader or by email.  You can also find me here on facebook as well!  I'd love to connect with you!



I am linking up to some of these linky parties today:


TheBetterMom.com
The Life Of Faith
What Joy Is Mine

MondayswithCountrifiedHicksCourtship ConnectionWise-Woman-Builds Missional Women Modest Mom blog button copy
Covered in Grace

15 comments:

  1. What am I doing to make my home sing right now? My normal Sunday evening routine of tidying up my house to help with a cheerful start on Monday morning is already done (thanks to a birthday party this afternoon) :) Right now I am reading some beautiful blogs that encourage me to 1. stop and enjoy my children! That blog is http://wholehearted-home.blogspot.com/
    and your post above. You're very right. Some things are something we turn to God in prayer. Some things require us to get moving on our own and be the change! Some things we just have to get over. I can DECIDE NOW to start Monday out in a way that will help my home sing and with the other blog in my head too, I will kiss and hug my kids while I do. :) THANKS for this encouragement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you're enjoying those precious babies! They will grow up all to fast, my friend, but I know that you know that.

      Thank you for your sweet words and have an awesome Monday! :)

      Delete
  2. As always, I love and am encouraged to be a better wife and mama from your posts. Thanks for hosting <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwww, thank you my friend! :) Thank you for linking up today too!

      Delete
  3. Hi Nan,

    It is good to know we have CHOICES!

    :) Hope

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think sometimes we fail to act because we don't feel like we have choices. Or we don't really WANT to act because it's just easier to sit around and wish rather than work at making it come true. :)

      Delete
  4. Mary...I loved your list. One that resonates with me is wishing I could stop time sometimes. But since I cannot, I enjoy the moment. Thank you for the link up. I added it to my blogs linky page. Blessings friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, if we can't stop time let's at least enjoy it! Thank you for linking up and for adding me to your page!

      Delete
  5. Nan, I loved this!! Only thing I didn't love was your question: "Who wouldn't like Pepsi?!" Well, sorry to disappoint you but I wouldn't!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Judith, Judith, Judith.....what has diet pepsi ever done to YOU????? Lol! :)

      Delete
    2. Anyone who ks me (in person, LOL) knows I can't swallow soda to save my life!!

      Delete
    3. Well, that just means more diet pepsi for ME!!! ;0)

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the idea that we have to get up and DO something. I tell my girls all the time not to wish their days away but live them fully instead. Thanks for the wonderful post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish that I adhered to those words more often! I definitely have my lazy moments. But as you said, sometimes we just have to get up and DO something....and make things happen!

      Delete

So glad you stopped by today! Please feel free to subscribe to my blog and/or follow me on facebook. The links are at the bottom of each post.

Thank you for leaving a comment. I love hearing from you! Please keep it nice and sweet and family friendly so I don't have to delete!

Please don't leave a link to your blog (or anyone else's) in your comment. Due to google's new comment spam policy, any comments with links will have to be deleted to protect both you and me!