Friday, February 1, 2013

The Thingy About The Thingy Thing Thingy


I use the word "thingy" way to much, and my family teases me about it all the time. 

I can't help it. When I talk I can't be bothered by having to wait for the proper words while my mind is trying desperately to keep up with my mouth.  So I resort to "thingy."


Oh well........doesn't everybody?  And then I write a rambling post about my word problems and take random pictures in the bathroom mirror.  Again........doesn't everybody? 

For example, the other day I asked my husband "Would you please hand me the thingy?"

Husband's standard answer is to usually repeat somewhat dryly, "Thingy.  The thingy.  You want me to hand you the thingy."  To which I respond "Oh hush".

O.k., maybe I might say "shut up" from time to time but I say it really nicely and lovingly and with a smile on my face because I don't really mean it.  Does that count?

Meanwhile I am desperately standing there stabbing my finger in the air and pointing, saying "The thingy.  The thingy!  Please hand me the thingy!!!!"

I don't understand what the problem is.  Why can't they figure it out? Isn't it obvious what I want?

It's just so much easier to stand there and point and cry "thingy" a million times rather than wait for the name of the object to come to mind.

We are in serious trouble if I ever have to elaborate or explain something.

It goes something like this:  "Well, I was trying to fix the thingy but I couldn't find the thingy to use on the thingy, so then I tried to do that other thingy and then, well....the thingy broke."

I think it started years ago when my children were toddlers and I spent my days in conversations that started with  "Mommy, mommy, moooooommmmmmmy" and ended with "Me do it!" or "Noooooo!"

My brain turned to mommy mush and I don't think it has ever fully recovered.  So, I blame the children.  Doesn't everybody?

19 comments:

  1. I may have used that term a time or a hundred :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is that the nick-name for ThingaMaJig? Or thingamajigger or thingamabobber, or my personal favorite
    ThingamaJiggerBobberWinkerHymerDinker.

    I looked it up on urban dictionary and I'm pretty sure this generation didn't take it for a bad word, so this is my final comment. I'll just click on the little thingy below and publish.

    mommamindy.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought your word was so funny that I read it to my hubby, lol! However I had to read it a bit slow because it's a mouthful, lol!

      Delete
  3. And to think you married someone whose job it is to be a wonderful speaker. BAHAHA You look really cute in that pic, by the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, you have a point there, lol! It's his job so he has an unfair advantage, haha!

      Delete
    2. Forgot to thank you for your sweet compliment! It's an old picture, lol!

      Delete
  4. Ha Ha- I totally blame my children for my Mommy Brain!
    I need to find myself a new denim jacket :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Costco is selling them, lol! Denim jackets, not children, lol!

      Delete
  5. Yes, let's blame the kids for a slow brain. I heartily agree to it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen sister, whenever and wherever we can!

      Delete
  6. Hey, you're doing good to think of the word "thingy". I come up blank. Thankfully, my husband can usually read my mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucky you! I think my husband is afraid of MY mind, lol!

      Delete
  7. Oh dear Nan, I greatly enjoyed reading your thingy...I mean post :)

    Thanks for the laughter.

    Hugs,
    Stephanie

    Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha, I may have converted you, lol! You have a great one too!

      Delete
  8. You are such a great break from the thingy I am supposed to be doing. What thingy were you needing anyhow? Did you ever remember, LOL?? You are a blast!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I am happy that I could help you avoid doing that thingy just a bit longer....but you better go do that thingy eventually or that thing will happens that happens when that thingy doesn't get done......

      Delete
  9. Hi Nan,

    I can totally relate! I am always saying "thingy" to my husband about things he should surely understand, but he doesn't seem to get it.

    Thanks for the post!

    Blessings,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, my hubby never gets it either, lol! You think he WOULD after all these years of marriage though, haha!

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I love hearing from you! Please keep it nice and sweet and family friendly so I don't have to delete!

Please don't leave a link to your blog (or anyone else's) in your comment. Due to google's new comment spam policy, any comments with links will have to be deleted to protect both you and me!

So I'd still love to hear from you! Just don't type out a link to share! ;)