Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Quick And Easy Tater Tot Casserole, Cooking With Mom's The Word


Welcome to another Cooking With Mom's The Word!  Today we're making Tater Tot Casserole.  Are you ready?  Let's get our taters on!

Ingredients:
2 lbs. lean ground turkey, browned (or beef)
16 oz. bag of frozen vegetables (I use carrots, cauliflower & broccoli mix but you can also use mixed vegies)
2 cans cream of chicken soup, do not dilute (can use cream of mushroom)
1 and 1/2 cups of shredded cheddar cheese
1 bag of frozen tater tots (mine is 30 oz.)

You can cut the recipe in half if you want to make a smaller serving.

I use the "Crispy Crowns" tater tots because we like it better than regular tater tots, they really do seem crispier!  I also use the 98% fat free cream of chicken soup.


Brown the meat until no longer pink.  Drain as needed.

Take the requisite "dogs in the kitchen" blurry picture. Wonder a) Why you didn't remove the dog dishes before you began cooking, b) what is that white thing in the lower right corner and c) why is the kitchen towel on the floor?

Ask dogs how you are supposed to get to the stove when they are in the way.  Be prepared for their "Who, me, I'm just trying to eat my dinner" looks.


Note that some of the raw meat jumped off the spatula and onto the stove.  Reach under the sink and accidentally grab the pet stain remover instead of the kitchen sanitizing spray.  Decide that if your dog potties or throws up on the stove, you got this!

Grab your baking pans.  Choose to use the old, dented one on the left because you don't want to ruin your pretty new pan on the right (that you've had for several months now).  Decide at this point that someone is probably getting really annoyed with you so figure you'd better get on with posting the recipe.

Grease the baking pan and add the browned meat.

Add the frozen (no need to defrost) vegetables on top of the meat.  I use my hands to break them up a bit if they're all stuck together.  Breaking up is hard to do.  Just ask Neil Sedaka.

Spread the cream of chicken soup over the top of the vegetables. Do NOT add water.

Add the shredded cheese.

Now comes the fun part.  Add the bag of tater tots!  Just pour 'em on top and then spread them out a bit so that it is covered.

Bake, uncovered, in the oven at 350°F for about 25-30 minutes or until cheese is melted. 

Note that your family cut the casserole the "wrong way."  Lengthwise.  Decide that you will hold this post until you can make another casserole in a month or two so that you can educate people on the obvious fact that there is a RIGHT way and a WRONG way to cut into a casserole.

Hold this post for two months until you made another casserole today.  Instruct your husband and children to cut into the casserole widthwise in order to do it "properly."  Tell them to make sure that they do it right because you have to take a picture of it for your blog.  Make sure they look at you blankly.  Or maybe with a little fear involved.

Post the picture and then realize that basically, the two pictures look the same.

Cry a little.


If you don't want to miss any blog posts, you can follow me or subscribe in your reader or by email.  You   can also find me here on facebook as well!  I'd love to connect with you!

Be sure and come back Monday and link up to the Making Your Home Sing Monday  linky party!


I am linking up to these linky parties:


Sugar Aunts

A Bowl Full of Lemons and also WholeHearted-Home and We Are That Family

9 comments:

  1. Nan,
    Just catching up here. What a hilarious post. I would think things through the same way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Carol! I need to catch up with you too. I haven't done much blog visiting lately. :)

      Delete
  2. When we got married 27 years ago, my husband had a few culinary requests based on his upbringing: no more macaroni and cheese, no more grilled cheese, no more casseroles. :) He was done eating them.

    We've both adjusted and changed since that day and laugh about his "I am new husband, hear me!" comment. Here's our compromise: We make tator tot casserole with veggies on one side and no veggies on the other side. Everyone is happy. :)

    mommamindy.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You need casseroles with a family of your size, lol! I don't think anything is off the table with my husband.

      However, he doesn't like sweet and sour so I just don't make it anymore, or if I did, he could eat something else (he doesn't mind). He doesn't like sour cream either so the meals where it's an ingredient he doesn't like so much.

      I don't like cabbage, liver, brussel sprouts or lima beans (all products of my childhood). So I do NOT cook them and my children are spared eating them, lol!

      Delete
  3. This looks yummy and I am off to Pinning it!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Judy, thanks for the pin. It IS yummy! ;)

      Delete
    2. Hey!! I am off to make this again :-)

      Delete
  4. It’s one of my husband’s favorites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's one of our family favorites too. It's yummy and easy to make, what more could I want, lol!

      Delete

So glad you stopped by today! Please feel free to subscribe to my blog and/or follow me on facebook. The links are at the bottom of each post.

Thank you for leaving a comment. I love hearing from you! Please keep it nice and sweet and family friendly so I don't have to delete!

Please don't leave a link to your blog (or anyone else's) in your comment. Due to google's new comment spam policy, any comments with links will have to be deleted to protect both you and me!