Sunday, February 24, 2013

Blame It On Hormones And MYHSM Linky Party


Welcome to the Making Your Home Sing Monday linky party! Every day you are doing something to make your house into a home for yourself and your family (if you have one). 

My point with each Monday post is, what are YOU doing or going to do today to make your home sing? It can be an attitude or an action. So have fun, do some blog hopping and if you want, link up!

Topics can include marriage, parenting, encouraging women, organization, cleaning, saving money, our behavior and attitudes, homemaking, homeschooling, recipes....the opportunities are endless.


Being a woman is serious business.  It's not for wimps.  You men think you can't figure us out?  Try being a woman.

We can be sitting there, minding our own business, and suddenly we want to smack someone.

Got a problem with that, mister?  Blame it on hormones.

We can be perfectly happy and laughing and then suddenly we just feel sad and have a desire to weep hysterically.  0-60 in nothing flat.

Got a problem with that?  Blame it on hormones.

We can be walking along, enjoying the beautiful outdoors, and suddenly our child spots a squirrel, grabs our arm and hollers "Mommy!  Mommy" and spills our Starbucks coffee. Immediately a dark cloud descends inside our head, the day is no longer beautiful and we're snapping at our child, threatening a time out and looking at brochures for boarding school.

Got a problem with that?  Blame it on hormones.

Our husband gets a new job and we've had to move to a new town where we don't know anyone.  We hate the town and we're angry and yelling at hubby every day for making us leave our beloved friends and city behind.

Got a problem with that?  Blame it on hormones.



Where do we draw the line between blaming something on hormones vs. taking responsibility for our own behavior? 

Where is that line?

Please know that I am not talking about a medical conditon.  I am just talking about those times when we are mean or rude or hurtful with our words or actions, and we know perfectly well that hormones have nothing to do with how we're responding.  Yet we blame them anyway.

"Not my fault, you know.  Hormones."

I don't know about you but I have made excuses and blamed hormones over the years many times when the problem wasn't raging hormones but a raging ME.  It was just too easy to blame something else for my actions instead of accepting responsibility for them.

Sometimes we have a very valid reason for being upset.  But even so, aren't we still responsible for our words and actions?  Can we really in all honesty sit back and blame everything on hormones?  Are we responsible for nothing?

If I am mad or grumpy and yet can still answer the phone nicely with a pleasant tone of voice, I can be responsible for my words.

If I am mad or grumpy and can chat with you at church and cheerfully help you carry something out to the car without complaining and muttering under my breath, I can be responsible for my behavior.

If I am mad or grumpy and can run into you at the store and plaster a welcoming smile on my face and not try to rip your head off, I can be responsible for my actions.


You don't like this post?  Blame it on hormones!  ;) 


Otherwise, let's just keep turning to the Lord to give us the humility we need to ask for forgiveness, the grace we need to forgive and the strength we need to go on each day and make our homes sing!

What are you doing or going to do today to make your home sing? Please go here for instructions and/or ideas and come back here to link up to join us today! Please do not put your own "Making Your Home Sing Monday" Linky on your blog. As always, please don't forget to link to this post so that others can join the fun!


If you don't want to miss any blog posts, you can follow me or subscribe in your reader or by email.  You can also find me here on facebook as well!  I'd love to connect with you!


I am linking up to these linky parties:

TheBetterMom.com

The Life Of Faith
What Joy Is Mine

MondayswithCountrifiedHicksCourtship ConnectionWise-Woman-Builds Missional Women http://christianmommyblogger.com and We Are That Family

18 comments:

  1. Loved this post! It's so very true. I'd love for you to link it up at my Tuesday link up party:
    http://courtshipconnection.com/?p=3904

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know that you had a linky party. How fun! I'll link up tomorrow! :)

      Delete
  2. Loved the post. I've blamed hormones too! I would love for you to come share these on my weekly link up that just went live for the week. http://countrifiedhicks.blogspot.com/2013/02/mondays-with-countrified-hicks-4.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love too! I'll do it asap. Thanks for the invite and thanks for linking up here too!

      Delete
  3. I always thought that it wasn't right to blame everything on hormones because I knew it was even if my hormones made it harder. Not that I never blamed 'it' on hormones...I'm imperfect. Good post, Nan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are all imperfect and pretty sure most of us have blamed it on hormones when it WAS hormones, lol! Also pretty sure some of us have blamed hormones when it wasn't, lol!

      Delete
  4. Very, very, VERY good post, Nan! Thank you for your wise words.

    Love and hugs,
    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, my friend! Just, you know, feeling hormonal this morning.......lol! ;) Just kidding.

      Delete
  5. Around our house, one with three girls and one lone male, we call them "Horrible HARmones." Early on I taught my girls that while hormones make it easier to sin, they are not an excuse to sin. And while emotions are real (and God-given I might add), it's what we choose to do with those emotions that matters. Our Savior experienced anger, discouragement, sadness, and fear, demonstrating that these emotions within themselves aren't sinful. What he did with those emotions leave a model to follow for our own behavior. And I think there might be a greater reward for godly behavior DESPITE hormones :) I hope so, anyway!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's it exactly. It's what we DO with the feelings that are the problem, not the feelings themselves. And yet sometimes we blame the feelings as an excuse for our wrong responses, as you said.

      Three hormonal young girls and your poor son, lol! ;)

      Delete
  6. You're too funny. Blaming hormones is something I have never done... I have blamed pregnancy (I can't clean the bathroom... too pregnant) but never hormones :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, I blamed pregnancy for a lot of things. I agree, too hard to bend and your stomach reaches something before you do, lol!

      Delete
  7. You are too funny, Nan.

    I do so agree with you on this post. I never liked it when women excused their meanness in this manner. Although, there have been a few times that I have been guilty of it myself. :(

    Thank to the Lord for His kind understanding, forgivness, and love.

    ♥Hope

    ReplyDelete
  8. STOP TELLING ON ME IN YOUR BLOG POSTS!!!!!!!

    I THOUGHT WE WERE FRIENDS!!!!!!

    Sorry, musta' been my hormones. But, you always hit the nail and the sinner on the head.

    mommamindy.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bwahahahahaha! You are so funny, girl! :)

      Delete
  9. AMEN!!!!!!! Loved it!

    I really liked Lori's comment as well. It reminded me of my Mom's wise words growing up. Thanks Lori.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, she is very wise. Have you read her blog? You'd love it!

    ReplyDelete

So glad you stopped by today! Please feel free to subscribe to my blog and/or follow me on facebook. The links are at the bottom of each post.

Thank you for leaving a comment. I love hearing from you! Please keep it nice and sweet and family friendly so I don't have to delete!

Please don't leave a link to your blog (or anyone else's) in your comment. Due to google's new comment spam policy, any comments with links will have to be deleted to protect both you and me!