Wednesday, January 9, 2013

I Ride With Door Huggers

Ever so often I'll be driving my car and come up to a turn, and I notice my passenger reaching for the door handle.

Now, anybody else might assume that they are getting ready to leap out of the car, but I know better.

I ride with door huggers.


They appear normal until they are faced with a turn or a curve.

Then their true colors come out and they grab the door handle and hang on for dear life, as if their very life depended on it.  Even if I am taking the curve at practically a crawl. 

When I see this I get a desperate desire to take the curve at 90 miles an hour and really shake 'em up a bit.

But since one of them is my 89 year old mother, cooler heads prevail and I maintain good, safe driving habits.

However, the other door hugger is my son and with him it's every man/woman for themselves. He's young, has a strong heart and I am thinking that I am free to give it a whirl.

So next time he rides with me and grabs for the door handle he is going to get the surprise of his life.....


If you don't want to miss any blog posts, you can follow me or subscribe in your reader or by email.  You can also find me here on facebook as well!  I'd love to connect with you!

Be sure and come back Monday and link up to the Making Your Home Sing Monday meme!

14 comments:

  1. Okay, so this totally cracked me up! I have been known to do this (on very rare occasions), but more often, when riding with my hubby, I keep trying to push the imaginary brake pedal on the passenger side. Sheesh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the visual image I get of you stomping on that brake pedal, lol!

      Delete
  2. I learned to drive in a small town with a four way stop on Main that wasn't always necessary. Learning to drive in Seattle was crazy. A few years after moving here, I picked up some of my relatives at the airport. We fought traffic to get home and they looked at me incredulous and said, "You HAVE changed."

    They changed, too, and now I just figured out how - they became Door Huggers.

    mommamindy.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean. I have a friend that moved from a big town to a small town. Now, she says that whenever she goes back home to visit, it freaks her out to drive in the traffic, lol!

      Delete
  3. hahaha... *mental note* Don't ride with Nan when she is driving :) No, I'm just joking.

    We have a lot of roundabouts here so it seems like we're always going around corners. Plus living in the mountains the road is almost never straight.

    Enjoy your day, my friend!

    Hugs,
    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seriously, don't, lol! I might be driving and shout "Squirrel!" and goodness knows what might happen next, haha!

      Delete
  4. Like Jamie above, when I'm the passenger it's both feet pressed into the floorboard till I'm practically standing on tiptoes. I try to do it without my husband or daughter or sons seeing it. And not a drive goes by that I don't say, "You know this is a ___mph speed zone, don't you?

    I don't have any passengers because if someone else is in the car with me, they take the car keys from me and I'm the passenger. Does that tell you something? I'm not a speed demon, never had a speeding ticket, but I never pass anyone and this drives my family crazy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I do that whole "You DO know that this is a 30 mph speed zone don't you????" thing too. I'm so glad it's not just me.

      Delete
  5. Hahahahaha!! I am a certified 'door hugger' and I bet you didn't know you could get a certification?! When either my 18 or 19 year old drives, there are times the handle needs to be held so I don't fly out of the car on the curve!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmmm, I guess the question is where do *I* go to get MY certification???? Because, you're right, I realize that I have hugged that door when driving with my 19 year old on occasion, lol!

      Delete
  6. Um, I'm a door hugger..lol. I do that to my husband *blush*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol! Well, I suppose hugging the door is better than singing "Lord, I'm coming home to you now....." Lol!

      Delete
  7. Hilarious! I laughed out loud.
    I am not a door hugger... I am a "right foot through the floor board on my imaginary break pedal". =/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is just too funny. I think next time I ride with someone I will hug the door and stomp on the imaginary brake and see what they do!! :)

      Delete

So glad you stopped by today! Please feel free to subscribe to my blog and/or follow me on facebook. The links are at the bottom of each post.

Thank you for leaving a comment. I love hearing from you! Please keep it nice and sweet and family friendly so I don't have to delete!

Please don't leave a link to your blog (or anyone else's) in your comment. Due to google's new comment spam policy, any comments with links will have to be deleted to protect both you and me!