Monday, January 7, 2013

Habit - The Workhorse of Your Cleaning Routine & MYHSM Linkup

 
In case you're wondering, my bathroom counter is STILL clean today.

So are my kitchen counters.

When you think about it, it all comes down to habit.



Habit is the workhorse of your cleaning routine.


You can spend hours getting your home sparkling clean and neat and orderly.  But if you don't establish habits to KEEP it clean, it won't stay that way.

Not everyone wants an immaculate home.  Not everyone wants to be able to perform open heart surgery on any floor of their home at any given time.

Except me.  I definitely want to be able to do that.

We all have habits and these habits are making or breaking us.  They are moving us towards our goals or away from our goals.  They are helping or hindering us.

What habits do you have when you wake up in the morning?  Do you make your bed?  Check your email?  Make your coffee?  Let the dogs out?

Maybe you have a habit of tossing your pajamas on the bed, leaving your bed unmade, leaving your makeup all over the bathroom counter, dishes in the sink, and a huge mess behind you as you run out the door or begin your day at home.

What about when you come home after being gone much of the day?  Do you leave a trail of shoes, clothing, newspapers, mail, and coffee mugs behind you?  Do you have a set place for your keys and your purse or will you have to hunt for them tomorrow morning? Do you leave tiny little messes everywhere you go?

I'm not saying that this is a bad thing because some people say that they really don't mind the mess in their homes.

However, if YOU do, then your habits are hurting you.

It's a lot harder to function in a mess than it is when things are orderly.  Whether it's trying to cook a meal in a messy kitchen, trying to find your shoes in a messy closet, trying to find the bills in a mound of paperwork, or having to iron your favorite shirt because it got all wrinkled because you didn't hang it up the last time you wore it.

If you don't like coming home to a messy kitchen, going to bed at night in a messy room, find yourself getting frustrated because you can't find any clean counter space in your kitchen or bathroom, then you need to take a closer look at your habits.

So take a good look at your habits today and ask yourself, are they helping you or hurting you?  Establish some good habits, kick the bad habits to the curb and make your home sing this week!


Now join us for the Making Your Home Sing Monday meme! 



Making your home sing Mondays

Welcome to the Making Your Home Sing Monday meme! Every day you are doing something to make your house into a home for yourself and your family (if you have one). 

My point with each Monday post is, what are YOU doing or going to do today to make your home sing? It can be an attitude or an action. So have fun, do some blog hopping and if you want, link up!

Topics can include marriage, parenting, encouraging women, organization, cleaning, saving money, our behavior and attitudes, homemaking, homeschooling, recipes....the opportunities are endless. 

What are you doing or going to do today to make your home sing? Please go here for instructions and/or ideas and come back here to link up to join us today! Please do not put your own "Making Your Home Sing Monday" Linky on your blog. As always, please don't forget to link to this post so that others can join the fun!

If you don't want to miss any blog posts, you can follow me or subscribe in your reader or by email.  You can also find me here on facebook as well!  I'd love to connect with you! 

6 comments:

  1. Good morning Nan!! I am behind on my habits this morning, like three hours behind!! Never fear...just jump in where you are is what I am doing. Life happens. Thankfully my kitchen was clean to start the day as I get overwhelmed FAST when I don't clean and pick up behind myself. It helps on days when there is an emergency in the middle of the night.

    Loved your post!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post and so true!
    I have a routine in the morning:

    Wake up, make my hubby's breakfast and get his lunch ready for the day, enjoy 2 cups of coffee while reading my Bible, check my email , clean the kitchen up, make my bed, clean the bathroom, get dressed :)

    And my routine at night:

    Clean the kitchen after supper, get the coffee ready for the morning, make sure each room is picked up, sit down with a cup of tea and read a good book :)

    These routines are usually the same for me and I must say, it's so nice to have that consistency because it does help the home to stay neater and you are able to enjoy it more.

    Anyway, long comment :) Thanks for for sharing - I really enjoyed your post! Happy Monday!

    Hugs,
    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are such an inspiration to me - my habits STINK! I really need to change them. One step at a time, one day at a time, one habit at a time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is something I really needed to look at. Wow. Thanks for the reminders. I really need to do an overhaul on daily little habits. Thanks for the great advise.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do I want an immaculate home? Let me think. Sure it would be nice, but honestly, at my age if I tried to I would not get to do much else. So I settle for doing the basics, then taking time to do some fun things and then it's time to start supper. I do admit that the fun things are not much fun if I can't do them in an orderly home so I try to strike a balance.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am trying to incorporate these good cleaning habits instead of doing almost nothing during the work week and then cleaning house all weekend... Its not working for me!

    ReplyDelete

So glad you stopped by today! Please feel free to subscribe to my blog and/or follow me on facebook. The links are at the bottom of each post.

Thank you for leaving a comment. I love hearing from you! Please keep it nice and sweet and family friendly so I don't have to delete!

Please don't leave a link to your blog (or anyone else's) in your comment. Due to google's new comment spam policy, any comments with links will have to be deleted to protect both you and me!