Thursday, January 31, 2013

Do You Clean BEFORE Company Or AFTER Company?



The date is set on your calendar, you have already figured out what you're going to serve, your guests have confirmed that they are coming.  Now you are faced with this confusing question:

Do you clean BEFORE your guests arrive or AFTER your guests leave?

I do my regular "big" cleaning on Friday.  I will dust and vacuum the rugs (or my kids will) and sweep and mop the floors.  This is my regular Friday routine and I will do this whether we are expecting company that weekend or not.  I just like going into the weekend with a clean house.

If it's during the week and I hear that company is coming over I will do a quick clean.  Not a huge cleaning, but just "company" cleaning.  I will usually run the vacuum really quick to suck up all the dog hair and put clean guest towels in the bathrooms and make sure that the "public" areas are straightened and presentable.  If guests wander off into the bedrooms or open a closet they deserve whatever falls on their head.


Even when we have company over, I still clean up the kitchen after dinner. I don't call that "cleaning after company" as I pretty much always clean up my kitchen after a meal.

I once had a guest say to me "You are the only person I know that cleans up their kitchen while people are still here" (she said she always waits until they leave) and I jokingly said to her "But this way, after you leave I'll be glad you came over instead of facing all those messy dishes and wishing you'd never come, lol!"

It certainly doesn't take long to put the food away and load the dishes in the dishwasher and run it, and I can visit with my friends while I do it. Many of my friends prefer to do their dishes immediately as well, although some have been known to stack them in the sink.

After the company leaves, we then go around and throw away any paper plates or paper cups (if we used them) that were left out while they were here, and return the chairs, pillows, etc. to their proper places if they were moved. But I don't dust or vacuum or anything like that.  Just straightening things and tossing garbage.

So, I think I can say that I do a house preparation and clean BEFORE company and general quick pickup after they leave.

I was talking to a friend of mine and she does her "big" cleaning on Monday.  She wants to recover from the weekend and from its company, she says.  She mops the floors, dusts and vacuums and cleans the bathrooms. She tosses the garbage and straightens the pillows and "digs herself out" of the mess of entertaining.

She is doing a house recovery and cleans AFTER company.

I prep, she recovers.

So, now I am curious.  And my curiosity leads me to ask yet another question.

Are YOU a "before" company prepper or an "after" company recoverer???  Please leave a comment and do tell!


If you don't want to miss any blog posts, you can follow me or subscribe in your reader or by email.  You   can also find me here on facebook as well!  I'd love to connect with you!

Be sure and come back Monday and link up to the Making Your Home Sing Monday meme!

16 comments:

  1. I am both as well, but for different reasons, LOL. I clean before company because my house is usually a mess. I clean AFTER company because all my friends have children and very few of them make their kids clean up after themselves, so I'm usually left with a mess of toys, juice boxes, crayons, paper, etc. to clean up at 1:00 at night. Hmm . . . Maybe I need different friends . . (that was a JOKE! LOL)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally understand! I had some friends like that too and they would tell their kids "It's time to go!" and I'd say, "Not yet! It's time to clean up the mess you made first!"

      At first the parent would usually act surprised, because they were the "first" time. But then they'd say "Yes, let's clean it up" because what are they going to say......"No. Let's go." Lol!

      Try it, it works! ;)

      Delete
  2. I clean before and just a little afterwards but when the children were little and lots of kids came over, I sometimes wondered why I bothered, lol, because the minute everyone was in the door, they wouldn't know if it was clean or not...sorta of kidding ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true, lol! It's amazing how quickly ONE kid can trash the place, not to mention several kids, haha!

      Delete
  3. I think I am like you, Nan. I like to do the weekly big clean before the weekend because I, too, like to go into the weekend with a clean house. If company is coming over during the week, I usually do a "light" cleaning before. But everyday I usually Windex the bathroom, sweep the floors and vacuum a couple times during the week so it keeps things tidy.

    And Nan, sometimes I do dishes while company is here :) I think it's because I have a smaller home and my table is in the kitchen so I don't like dirty dishes around.

    Hugs and blessings,
    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mom always said that she had to keep her home really clean because she said her house was so small it would look messier than it was if she didn't keep it clean. Whew, that was a mouthful of a sentence! ;)

      Delete
  4. Nan,
    I do exactly, exactly what you do. To the last detail!
    Absolutely the same. LOL. Great minds think alike.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, we're cleaning twins, lol! You're right....great minds.....haha!

      Delete
  5. I try to keep my house in the kinda' shape that doesn't take a lot of cleaning to get ready for company. I try. I really try. It doesn't always work.

    For sure I clean the bathroom before anyone comes. Then I get annoyed if they don't use it and I wasted my time. JK.

    If they have little kids I DO NOT MOP ahead of time because when they spill I can say, "Oh, I need to mop anyway."

    When my kids were young, I would mop all the rooms, wipe down walls and scrub the daylights out of my house for company, and we had company weekly. Now I am tired and I figure if they're coming to see me, they can look in my eyes and not concentrate on the dust bunnies.

    mommamindy.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, how frustrating. You clean and clean and nobody gets to see it, lol! So what's the point? Haha.

      Delete
  6. I clean before they come because we homeschool and have 4 kids under 8 years old and a dog and while we try not to be messy it's kind of happens anyway. Thankfully the house is small and quick to clean!

    After they leave, my husband helps clean and we kind of debrief :) and chat over the evening of conversation. It works.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes. I totally remember picking up toys and removing library books and dog toys and all sorts of things before company would come over, lol!

      Delete
  7. Honey, what I do after company leaves is REST! And then I get up and clean an hour and then I rest some more. As most of our company are family everyone pitches in after meals. And our one son-in-law, when he and our daughter visit from FL strips the bed before they leave and cleans up and you'd never know guests had been there. He's a keeper!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always nice to have family or friends who pitch in and help! My sister and sister-in-law always help me clean up after Thanksgiving dinner, and I really appreciate it a lot!

      Delete
  8. When I saw this I totally understand. You can tell a lot about a person by whether they clean before or after company. I am definitely going to be cleaning BEFORE!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose we all have friends who aren't "company" to us and around whom we feel comfortable, so we don't worry about cleaning, lol!

      Delete

So glad you stopped by today! Please feel free to subscribe to my blog and/or follow me on facebook. The links are at the bottom of each post.

Thank you for leaving a comment. I love hearing from you! Please keep it nice and sweet and family friendly so I don't have to delete!

Please don't leave a link to your blog (or anyone else's) in your comment. Due to google's new comment spam policy, any comments with links will have to be deleted to protect both you and me!