Wednesday, December 19, 2012
Ten Reasons We Let Clutter Pile Up And What To Do About It
Me: "What is up with all those clothes in the laundry?????"
My son: "Oh. I cleaned my room."
Have you ever "cleaned" that way?
Just moved your stuff around from one place to another? I have! That's not really cleaning, is it? At best it's rearranging your clutter and at worst it's procrastinating.
It's funny how we can think of it as cleaning. We decide to "clean" the living room. We don't really want to take a lot of time to do it, maybe we have company coming over so we're in a hurry. So we just grab everything up and make one of several trips into our bedroom. We close the door and call it good.
Suddenly the living room looks awesome and we feel great! Until we walk into our bedroom to go to bed and notice the piles and piles of stuff on the bed. So we move it back into the living room again and we're back where we started.
Here are ten reasons why we let things pile up and what we can do about it:
1. There is no "home" for all that stuff. (So FIND one!)
2. There is a place for it, but you're not putting it there. (So PUT it there! Never leave a room empty-handed.)
3. There's just too much stuff!!!! (Now would be a good time to declutter!)
4. You figure it's a waste of your time to put something away when you're just going to get it out again in a day or two, or 30, or a year. (Decluttering is never a waste of time; however, constantly searching for things that you lost in all that clutter IS.)
5. You are undecided. You can't decide whether you want to keep it or not so there's no place for it. (If it's not worth finding a place for it, is it worth keeping?)
6. You're waiting for someone else to do it because it's "their" stuff and they're not putting it away so why should you? (Do it for you. You deserve to live in an orderly home, and maybe they'll learn from your good example! Unless it's a child.....in that case - train them to put their stuff away.)
7. You refuse to put your stuff away because they aren't putting their stuff away. (But who are you really "hurting" here? They don't care and if YOU do, then you're only hurting yourself.)
8. It's something that needs to be returned to a store or the library and you're leaving it where you can see it to remind yourself to return it.....except that you always forget to take it with you. (March out to the car right now and put it on the seat, along with a note as a reminder.)
9. Someone gave it to you, you don't like it but aren't sure what to do with it, so you're leaving it out in hopes that someone will accidentally break it as they walk by it. (Good luck......)
10. You are waiting for a huge block of time so that you can declutter. But those huge blocks of time just aren't coming and besides - you're tired. (How about using those little minutes that come your way! You can stand it for 15 minutes, can't you? Set a timer for 15 minutes and race that timer! Little minutes add up, especially if you do it a couple of times a day.)
What are some of the reasons that YOU let clutter pile up?
Linking up to
and We Are That Family