Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Step Out Of Your Comfort Zone

When my oldest was a toddler, he wanted to walk on his own so bad!  But he just didn't have the courage to do it!

He would walk holding onto the very tips of our little fingers, and I would tell him that he could walk by himself, and encourage him to let go and try it.  Telling him that I'd be right beside him to catch him if he fell.  But he wouldn't let go.

One day, we were walking around in my mother's kitchen.  He was barely holding onto the tip of my little finger, as usual.  So I just gently pulled my pinky finger out of his grasp and he didn't even notice.

I let him walk about 10-15 feet away from me into the living room.  Then I called his name.

He turned around and looked shocked to see how very far away I was.  Then he was overwhelmed with joy and excitement.  He did it!  He could walk!

He ran all over the house, his chubby little toddler legs carrying him as fast as he could go.  He was laughing and hollering with excitement.  The world was now in his grasp.  He could walk on his own!

Sometimes it is like that with God.  We know that He is calling us to do something, but we're afraid to do it, or there's something we've been seriously praying about, but we're afraid to act on it.

Image courtesy of Daniel St.Pierre at FreeDigitalPhotos.net


We need faith enough to act enough.  Sometimes we truly believe and have faith that God can do it, but we don't have enough faith to act on it.

We have to step out of our comfort zone!  In fact, don't just step out of it.  Leap out of it!

My son couldn't walk on his own while still holding onto my hand.  Peter couldn't walk on water while sitting safely in the boat.  Yes, he faltered when he took his eyes off Jesus and put them on his circumstances - but he DID walk on water.  Jesus called to him and he got out of the boat.

What boat are YOU sitting in today?  What are you holding onto so tightly that it is holding you back?

But Jesus immediately said to them: “Take courage! It is I. Don’t be afraid.” (Matt. 14:27)

Let go and step out of your comfort zone.  Get out of the boat.  Trust God.  Don't be afraid.


If you don't want to miss any blog posts, you can follow me or subscribe in your reader or by email.  You   can also find me here on facebook as well!  I'd love to connect with you!

Be sure and come back Monday and link up to the Making Your Home Sing Monday meme!

 Today I am linking up with:

3 comments:

  1. Such a cute story about your son, and a great example of how to trust and have faith in God.

    I pinned it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was out of my comfort zone today. I was praying hard as I drove on streets I'm not comfortable driving on. Good reminder in whom to put our trust. Adorable mental image of your son walking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This my be my favorite post to date!!!

    ReplyDelete

So glad you stopped by today! Please feel free to subscribe to my blog and/or follow me on facebook. The links are at the bottom of each post.

Thank you for leaving a comment. I love hearing from you! Please keep it nice and sweet and family friendly so I don't have to delete!

Please don't leave a link to your blog (or anyone else's) in your comment. Due to google's new comment spam policy, any comments with links will have to be deleted to protect both you and me!