Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Quick And Easy Homemade Teriyaki Chicken Recipe, Day 23, 31 Days Of Making Your Home Sing


Ingredients:

1 to 1 and 1/2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breasts.  (I usually just grab 3-4 of the frozen chicken breasts from Costco). Thaw chicken first if it is frozen.


Teriyaki Sauce Ingredients:
1 cup low sodium soy sauce (or you may substitute regular)
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 cup sugar
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon ground ginger

Combine sauce ingredients. (Sorry, forgot to take a picture).  Cook in a large skillet over low heat until the sugar is dissolved.  If you are in a hurry, like I usually am, you can just pop the sauce in the microwave, using a microwave safe bowl, and heat it that way.  I've actually been in such a hurry that I just threw the sauce together without heating it up at all.  Some of the sugar was left along the sides of the bowl but we didn't notice any change in the flavor of the sauce.

However, if you're concerned that the soy sauce or sugar police will come and get you, by all means heat up the sauce until the sugar dissolves.  That's what I did for this post, even though I don't have the picture proof!



Cut the chicken lengthwise into 1" slices.  Or do what I did.  Hack and destroy the chicken until it begins to look like very pale, very large tadpoles. Or you could just start cutting diagonally with reckless abandon.  I have never claimed to be an expert at cutting chicken.

Spray a 9x13 pan or large tray with oil spray and put the chicken strips in it.  Make sure the tray has a lip on it (unless you want all your sauce to pour out onto the counter and floor).  Who knows, perhaps you needed a good excuse to mop your floor.

I used aluminum foil (sprayed with oil spray) in my pan just in case someone came to my door and told me I won the lottery and my chicken burns while I am jumping up and down screaming.  That way I won't have as much trouble cleaning the pan after I wake up from the dead faint I went into after discovering the millions I've won.  I WILL, however, have trouble winning the lottery since I haven't bought a ticket.  Details.

This is the requisite clean-as-you-go picture.  I like to clean up the kitchen as I go.  Just add a little soap and water and the dishes almost clean themselves.  You can also load them in the dishwasher but I suppose you know that.......

Pour the sauce over the chicken (here's where the lip to the tray becomes REALLY important).  Bake uncovered at 350 for 30-40 minutes, until chicken is cooked (I know, duh, but I had to add it).  If the sauce doesn't cover the chicken completely just turn the chicken over halfway through cooking.  Note that mine doesn't because of course that would just be too much to ask.....or maybe I just used more chicken this time.

Or you can just heat the teriyaki sauce on the stove as mentioned above.  Add the chicken, cover and simmer until cooked, about 20-30 minutes.

I'm sorry but I forgot to take a picture of the finished product.  I was too busy eating. Burp. (Excuse me!)


 Serve with rice if desired.  Frankly, I can't imagine not serving this with rice, but to each his own!  If you've never tried making your own teriyaki chicken try this recipe today and make your home sing!

Click here for a simple version of this recipe.



(If you want to see the rest of the "31 Days of Making Your Home Sing" series you can find it here!)


 

4 comments:

  1. I really like simple, uncomplicated meals. This is just up my street and I will definitely be giving this one a whirl.

    Thank you

    Lesley
    (heartforhome-making(dot)blogspot(dot)co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmmm! Thanks for the idea! I may make this tonight. And I love the pic of "cleaning as you go." Makes things so much easier and you don't have to fill the dishwasher all the time if you just wash as you go along. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This recipe sounds good. My husband would love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. While my husband and sons might like this, I would not! I do NOT like soy sauce. I do NOT care much for ginger. So they usually only get this stuff at restaurants....I probably should shock them sometime and make this for them and something else (even a PBJ) for myself....

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I love hearing from you! Please keep it nice and sweet and family friendly so I don't have to delete!

Please don't leave a link to your blog (or anyone else's) in your comment. Due to google's new comment spam policy, any comments with links will have to be deleted to protect both you and me!

So I'd still love to hear from you! Just don't type out a link to share! ;)