Sunday, April 15, 2012

Making Your Home Sing Monday: Are You "Playing House" Or Making A Home?

Making your home sing Mondays

Welcome to the Making Your Home Sing Monday meme! Every day you are doing something to make your house into a home for yourself and your family (if you have one). My point with each Monday post is, what are you doing or going to do today to make your home sing?

It can be an attitude or an action. Motivation, our attitude, baking, encouraging our husband or children (if we have either one), organization, cleaning, saving money....the opportunities are endless.

Recently I was talking to a stay at home mom and she mentioned that her husband was mad at her because the house was a mess and had been a mess for awhile and he wanted it cleaned up. He was tired of coming home to a messy house.

The mom admitted that there wasn't any reason why she couldn't clean it up. She didn't work and her children were grown. She had lots of free time and plenty of time to clean and make dinner. What she didn't have was discipline or time management. Facebook and t.v. were calling her name. The phone was nearby and there were lots of shops around.

I was also listening to another stay at home with a little baby talk about her day. She complained that she can't get the house clean because baby takes up too much time. Yet she spends several hours in the afternoon watching t.v. or playing her games on facebook before, during and after baby naps. She also stays up late playing and wonders why she's so tired.

Sometimes moms are desperate for some "me" time. Sometimes we're so desperate for it that we let it get out of control.

If you are a stay at home mom, do you work hard while your husband is at work? Do you consider that your job? Or do you consider it a vacation and an opportunity to play until hubby comes home and you start your "serious" work so you're not caught slacking.

Do you find yourself "playing" a lot during the day so that you have to spend your evenings doing household tasks to make up for it because you're behind, thereby depriving your husband of your presence and your children of "family" time because mommy is too busy?

Or maybe you consider parenting during the day your job, but the housekeeping duties are something you share with your husband at night. That very well may be true, but not everyone has that understanding. Are you managing your time well during the day?

My children were young once and I know that they can take up a huge amount of time, they can be a constant source of disruption and a little chaos thrown in for good measure. I also know that they are young only for a little while, and we want to love on them and cherish those moments.

But I also know that kids take naps, have play-dates at friend's houses, or play contently on their own sometimes. I also know that kids get older and require less supervision.

So, let me ask you again? Do you play "homemaking" during the day while hubby is at work, or are you serious in your commitment to your task. Do you find yourself working more diligently at night when he's there because you feel guilty about how you managed your time during the day or because there's someone watching you?

My husband works hard at his job, but I know that there have been times when I haven't worked hard at mine that day. I just slacked off on my homemaking duties because I could. I didn't work as hard at my job as he did at his job. I took longer "breaks" and more of them. Because I could.

There's no one here to watch me or keep score or grade me on my performance and diligence. I can't always goof off because I have places I have to be and people I have to care for, but I do have moments where I goof off when I should be meal planning or doing the laundry or vacuuming or putting away the clutter that piles up.

If our husbands work hard at their jobs, shouldn't we work hard at ours?

I'm thinking specifically of the gal who has lots of time on her hands. Are you putting it to good use, or are you wasting more than your share of it on things that don't really matter in the long run. What are you investing your time in?????

You are a "professional" homemaker. Take joy and pride in your ability to make a home for yourself and/or your family. Are you like the little child who is "playing house," or are you making a home? Adjust your priorities, work hard when you need to, play when you need to recharge, love those kids, but keep a balance in your life and make your home sing this week!

So what are you up to this week? What are you doing or going to do today to make your home sing? Please go here for instructions and/or ideas and come back here to link up to join us today! Please do not put your own "Making Your Home Sing Monday" Linky on your blog. As always, please don't forget to link to this post. Also, please don't forgot to leave me a comment!

If you want to use your blog header or profile picture, use the "from the web" button on your right (after you click to link up). If you want to use a picture from your computer use the button on your left (unless the picture is on your blog). Please let me know if you have any problems with linking up.

10 comments:

  1. this is a good post...I have been blessed to be able to be at home for many years now...Our girls are grown and have families of their own. Our home is very important to me and I can certainly tell you that if anyone wants to see me stressed, then all they have to do is to catch me when things get a little messy around here. Drives me a little crazy!
    I might add, it makes me stressed to see my daughters homes in a mess as well...I know, I know...it's not my business and I know that they have very busy lives (as both work and each have 3 active children). For the most part, they do a great job, but when they get behind, I feel like I have to run over and get things cleaned up for them...Our homes are very important and I believe we should do our best to get them in Order.
    hugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for hosting! I shared a funny post about my pregnancy, as well as some info about a sugar fast I'm doing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So true! Thanks so much for sharing this...I have been sidelined with a hip injury for a couple of months, and have spent lots of time "lying around" because I've been forced to do so. Even though we have an empty nest, I see the difference it has made on our family. I will never again take for granted the contributions I make in our family by working in our home...I look forward to being back on my feet in full force! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post! Definitely a kick in the butt! It's hard not to get sidetracked and right now we're so busy with sports in the evening that my I find myself relaxing during the day to prepare myself for the evening! Yet then when the house is messy it makes things more difficult to be ready! :)
    The times I take my work at home more seriously I not only get more done, but everything seems to flow easier. Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You did an excellent job thoughtfully writing this post. I agree, that if my husband is working hard, then, so must I!! There was only the phone to distract when I started out as a mommy...but that still could be abused. Women visited at each others homes more then too and could find themselves out of balance. Thanks for such a good post!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a well though out post after coming home from the hospital recently I realized how important it is to make sure I make time for a clean home. Laundry is where my down fall is.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a great post. I am feeling convicted. Since Jonathan went to Heaven I have not keep the house like I use to. Thank the good Lord that my husband is so gracious.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well said. It can be difficult to keep yourself on track with no-one watching, like you said. For me, the biggest struggle I have is the lack of public acknowledgement for my hard work, but I must remember that even if he doesn't notice everything, my husband does reap the benefits of everything I do, and that the Lord is watching and sees what I do! That is a huge encouragement, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. i just recently found your blog ... and can now call you friend because you have stepped on my toes :o) i loved this post in particular. you are so right, it's easy to give yourself a pass on high standards as a stay at home mom. i have to re-learn periodically that life is so much better when i remember that all these things i do isn't meant to be just playing house, and the effort to make it sing is ALWAYS worth it! thanks for the good words!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great post Nan...I needed that kick in the pants. lol

    ReplyDelete

So glad you stopped by today! Please feel free to subscribe to my blog and/or follow me on facebook. The links are at the bottom of each post.

Thank you for leaving a comment. I love hearing from you! Please keep it nice and sweet and family friendly so I don't have to delete!

Please don't leave a link to your blog (or anyone else's) in your comment. Due to google's new comment spam policy, any comments with links will have to be deleted to protect both you and me!