Sunday, August 21, 2011

Making Your Home Sing Monday: Choose To Be Grateful

Making your home sing Mondays

Welcome to the Making Your Home Sing Monday meme! Every day you are doing something to make your house into a home for yourself and your family (if you have one). My point with each Monday post is, what are you doing or going to do today to make your home sing?

It can be an attitude or an action. Motivation, our attitude, baking, encouraging our husband or children (if we have either one), organization, cleaning, saving money....the opportunities are endless.

Some days I don't feel like making my house sing.

There, I said it.

My youngest son's graduation party is next weekend (it's a long story but we couldn't do it until now). We have someone coming to stay at our house for a couple of nights. My mother is going through her storage boxes and trying to scale down 87 years of her life into just a couple of boxes.

My house looks like it threw up all over itself.

With people coming you would think that I would have the motivation to clean, clean, clean! You would think that, right?

But I don't want to make my home sing! I want to be crabby and eat chocolate and drink diet pepsi and curl up with my puppy and read a good book.

But I have two choices: I can choose to be crabby and ruin everyone else's day (or week) including my own, or I can choose to be grateful.

I have a lot to be grateful for. So do you, I'll bet.

Even in the midst of difficult events it seems like there is always something that we can find to be thankful for. My older brother is a ROCK, and my hero.  He has had to fight and battle cancer.  Even in the midst of that and all the sickness and pain, he finds something to be thankful for each day.

We all can. You can be thankful for your loving husband and children. You can be thankful that you have food on the table that day. You can be thankful for shelter over your head. You can be thankful that the pain isn't any worse. You can be thankful that your mother-in-law doesn't live with you full-time.......whatever you have to be thankful for, be thankful for it!

That doesn't mean that you have to act pollyanna happy that your dad just died or that your husband just lost his job or that your teenager is rebelling.

But if the Lord is taking us through a difficult season of life, do we have to make it worse by rebelling against it ourselves and making it more difficult with our own behavior and pulling away in bitterness and anger?

We need to have an attitude of gratitude. It's a choice that we make to be thankful. If we can't be thankful for what we have, let's be thankful for what we don't have!

It's hard to be crabby and unhappy when you are choosing to be thankful for something.

Choose to have a grateful heart today and make your home sing!

What are you doing or going to do today to make your home sing? Please go here for instructions and/or ideas and come back here to link up to join us today! Please do not put your own "Making Your Home Sing Monday" Linky on your blog. As always, please don't forget to link to this post. Also, please don't forgot to leave me a comment!

If you want to use your blog header or profile picture, use the "from the web" button on your right (after you click to link up). If you want to use a picture from your computer use the button on your left (unless the picture is on your blog). Please let me know if you have any problems with linking up.

3 comments:

  1. Wanted to link up with you, but the linky is not working. Have a great Monday. I'll try again later.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there, thanks for the comment on my blog the other day ;) Linking up this week too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Right on - we can CHOSE to be grateful. When my house looks like it "threw up on itself" (your words), I remember, if I didn't have stuff, I wouldn't have a mess. Homeless people don't have messy living rooms. Earthquake Haiti huts aren't messy because they don't have stuff. I'm blessed with stuff.
    My grandmother had a wall hanging that says
    "Thank G-d for dirty dishes,
    they have a tale to tell,
    While others may be hungry,
    we're eating very well."
    Thanks for your reminder re gratitude.

    ReplyDelete

So glad you stopped by today! Please feel free to subscribe to my blog and/or follow me on facebook. The links are at the bottom of each post.

Thank you for leaving a comment. I love hearing from you! Please keep it nice and sweet and family friendly so I don't have to delete!

Please don't leave a link to your blog (or anyone else's) in your comment. Due to google's new comment spam policy, any comments with links will have to be deleted to protect both you and me!