Sunday, August 8, 2010

MAKING YOUR HOME SING: MESSY MONDAY


Making your home sing Mondays

Welcome to the Making Your Home Sing Monday meme! Every day you are doing something to make your house into a home for yourself and your family (if you have one). My point with each Monday post is, what are you doing or going to do today to make your home sing?

It can be an attitude or an action. Motivation, our attitude, baking, encouraging our husband or children (if we have either one), organization, cleaning, saving money....the opportunities are endless.

Why are Mondays always so messy? Does anybody else feel like they have to dig out on Monday mornings?

Fridays are my "big" cleaning days, and so usually I would go into the weekend with a very clean house. Even if we entertained over the weekend, I would still clean up afterwards so the house would still be neat come Monday morning.

Well, not this week (and maybe even not this year or decade). Let's just call it Messy Monday, and pretend that everyone does it and I'm not alone!

We are re-doing the bathroom due to some leakage problems (the floor, not me, people). So since we put in a new floor we (meaning I) decided to tear down the old wallpaper and paint.

Since we couldn't get into the bathroom for a few days I had to take everything out of it that I thought we might possibly need. All this exciting stuff is sitting in my dining room.

Did you know that a toilet plunger doesn't really go with any decor other than bathroom decor? Even then I'm not so sure.

Tearing down that wallpaper has become a BEAR! I don't know what those people put it on with, but personally I think it's holding up the entire house. My hubby was helping with it, and he said he'd still be there 45 years later.

So, this week I have got to get that wallpaper down, because the mess is....well, a mess. We've tried scoring it, using wallpaper remover, and steaming it. All that work and we haven't even managed to take off a square foot. I'm telling ya, the people used a bond that I've only seen in mother and children to bind that thing to the wall. They will be bound together forever.

I also have to be careful because all that standing around is hard on my back. Who knew?

Also, I think that I relaxed a little to well this weekend, because I can tell you that there wasn't a lot of cleaning getting done. Sigh. I think Slacking, Slothful Saturday snuck up on me.

So for Messy Monday I will be lamenting the fact that the wallpaper is bound to my wall with eternal devotion, and maybe some glue. I will have to clean my house or give up and call it Messy Month instead of Messy Monday. Who's with me?

I will also be trying to figure out a way to continue to motivate myself so it won't be Messy Monday anymore.

BTW, I will be trying a thumbnail linky this time, so we'll see how it works. If you want to use your blog header or profile picture, use the "from the web" button on your right (after you click to link up). If you want to use a picture from your computer use the button on your left (unless the picture is on your blog). I have put my own header and profile picture links below as an example for you to see. Please let me know if you have any problems with linking up or want me to do it for you!

What are you doing or going to do today to make your home sing? Please go here for instructions and/or ideas and come back here to link up to join us today! Please do not put your own "Making Your Home Sing Monday" Linky on your blog. As always, please don't forget to link to this post. Also, please don't forgot to leave me a comment!


12 comments:

  1. I hear you about being messy! Man- these days I really need a day where I make the phone sing...so I can call a maid!!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let's just not talk about being messy....hahaha.

    I have an update on amden on arise 2 write.

    Blessings,
    andrea

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whenever I have had to remove wall paper, I've wondered the same thing. There is a product called: Zinzer that works pretty well for removing it. Hope you don't get too discouraged. It will all be cleaned up soon. And yes, I have to clean up my house on Monday mornings!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope things go smoothly with the wallpaper. I am counting down the days until school starts... my house will stay clean a little bit longer then!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Messy home on Monday here too! Good luck with your wall paper!

    ReplyDelete
  6. you sound like you are living my life.. we are also redoing a bathroom due to leaking problems, I to am ripping down wall paper and laying tile. we put in a jacuzzi tub yay .. i cant wait till we are done we put all our bathroom stuff in the soon to be girls room which is also a work in progress. my house is defiantly needing to "dig' out today.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mondays are TERRIBLE! I have to add my husband and two extra children into the mix on the weekends - all three of which are not very mindful about picking up after themselves. Come Monday, the house looks like a tornado hit it!

    I think I am going to invent a giant vacuum cleaner that people are only allowed to use on Mondays. It will pick up anything and everything left behind on a weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm experiencing "Messy Monday" and I don't even have the excuse of a big project like you. I do have a paint project that I've been putting off all summer. I think I'll wait til the kids go back to school.

    Anyway, be encouraged, you are not alone! I guess instead of misery -"messy loves company?" LOL

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Nan :-)
    the elderly lady whom had lived here before us, had done so for three forevers! Our back entry had seven layers of CONTACT paper on the walls, which she had used as wall paper! And we had to do the back entry as part of FHA's requirements ... I feel your pain friend!!!

    Try applying a heavy layer of a strong cleaning compound to it - undiluted. such as Amway's Zoom. That's what finally worked in the kitchen of a former house we lived in ....

    You mean to tell me that some people's houses aren't messy come Monday mornings? When did that trend start? And H-O-W?!!! o;-p

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wallpaper can be awful to get rid of. I had some in a closet that was so bad that I said "forget it!" and painted right over it LOL. Good luck with your project. You will appreciate your new bathroom so much more after it's all done and everything is cleaned up.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi!!!

    How are you doing!?! It has been too long since I have been blog hopping. I feel the same way about wall paper; I wonder if you could just get a few cans of that spray-on texture, retexture the walls, then (after 36 hours of curing) prime and paint over the whole mess. It isn't like the wall-paper is going to peel off and drop all your texture onto the floor...if it happened to do that your original problem would be solved anyway! hee-hee.

    Have a nice week!

    C. C.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Whoops! I got interrupted when I first linked up and forgot to put my link back. Its all fixed up now!
    Glad that Messy Monday is almost over...what's Tuesday, Nan? Terrific Tuesday? Please tell me that's what it is...

    ReplyDelete

So glad you stopped by today! Please feel free to subscribe to my blog and/or follow me on facebook. The links are at the bottom of each post.

Thank you for leaving a comment. I love hearing from you! Please keep it nice and sweet and family friendly so I don't have to delete!

Please don't leave a link to your blog (or anyone else's) in your comment. Due to google's new comment spam policy, any comments with links will have to be deleted to protect both you and me!