Sunday, August 29, 2010

MAKING YOUR HOME SING: It's Not Messy, It's Just Lived In

Making your home sing Mondays

Welcome to the Making Your Home Sing Monday meme! Every day you are doing something to make your house into a home for yourself and your family (if you have one). My point with each Monday post is, what are you doing or going to do today to make your home sing?

It can be an attitude or an action. Motivation, our attitude, baking, encouraging our husband or children (if we have either one), organization, cleaning, saving money....the opportunities are endless.

How many times have you said (or heard someone say) my home isn't messy, it's just "lived in." I've said that, and sometimes I still say that! Do you have too much "life" in your home? On the kitchen counters, on the coffee table, on the entry hall floor? Do you find yourself calling it "life" instead of clutter?

People have all sorts of different cleaning "styles" and views on cleaning. Some have to have an immaculate home. Some need a little clutter to keep 'em happy. Some really want a neater home but just don't seem to know how to manage it.

Some blame their children for the fact that their home is a mess. Yes, children do make messes. Believe me, I only had two kids but I understand how hard it can be sometimes to keep things neat. Hard, but not impossible. Some blame their husbands.

Some know that they spend hours watching t.v. or playing on the computer, yet blame someone or something else for their own lack of discipline. Some say they just don't care if their home is a disaster. Some do care, deeply, and feel like a failure because they just don't know what to do to get it neat.

I do believe that there has to be some sense of order in the home. After all, how can you eat a meal if there are no clean dishes, and how can you cook a meal if you can't find the counter tops? How can you eat together as a family if there's no room at the table?

Before I learned how to clean and organize my own home, we pretty much only cleaned for company. Oh, I had plenty of time to clean, but I filled that time with other more fun or creative endeavors. Cleaning was rarely one of them.

I eventually dug my way out of the mess (you can read about it here). Still, over the years I have had places of chaos in my home and things get a bit messy, though not as bad as before. Matter of fact, some parts of it are messy right now. This last week we started a couple of projects and right now things are sort of all over the place.

If you all came over to visit me today, (I'd need a bigger home so y'all would fit), I will admit I'd feel the need to apologize for the messy parts.

Isn't it funny how we feel the need to apologize if our homes are messy? It's almost as if we have the expectation that our visitor thinks our home should be clean at all times. It's almost as if we assume that our visitor's home is immaculate.

The thing is, if we feel that our homes deserve to be "company clean" then shouldn't they be family clean? If we feel like company deserves to be in a neat, orderly home, don't our families deserve that even more? Because they live there? Some people will knock themselves out to "impress" their company, while their families live in chaos the rest of the week. I know I used to! Who are you cleaning for, people?

A family needs to be able to relax and be comfortable in their own home. Does that mean it must be messy at all times in order to do so? Some people use this reasoning as an excuse not to clean their homes. There needs to be a balance. Many people don't clean before the company comes because their home is already neat. So they clean after the company leaves.

If you go over to a friend's house and spend the evening in her clean home, and feel depressed when you come back to yours, if you begin cleaning your home and the kids ask "Why are you cleaning? Is company coming?"........then maybe it's time to do some good pre-Fall cleaning and make your home sing this week!

BTW, I am doing a thumbnail linky again. If you want to use your blog header or profile picture, use the "from the web" button on your right (after you click to link up). If you want to use a picture from your computer use the button on your left (unless the picture is on your blog). I have put my own header and profile picture links below as an example for you to see. Please let me know if you have any problems with linking up or want me to do it for you!

What are you doing or going to do today to make your home sing? Please go here for instructions and/or ideas and come back here to link up to join us today! Please do not put your own "Making Your Home Sing Monday" Linky on your blog. As always, please don't forget to link to this post. Also, please don't forgot to leave me a comment!

13 comments:

  1. Another great post...looking forward to reading the links. Thanks for the conquering the messies link, too. I'm going to spend some time re-reading these, too. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true!! Thanks for the great post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's hard to stop apologizing, but I heard once that it is bad reflection of your husband to apologize for the home--like he can't provide well or something. So, I just gave that up. If anyone complains, I'll deal with it then. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. well just smack me straight in the forehead will ya!! I think you aimed this right at me! How did you know? lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Reading this blog on Mondays gets me super motivated. We have worked hard to cut down on the clutter, but it is a never ending process. I stopped apologizing for the messy parts. Those that truly love us, understand that our home is lived in!!! Thanks for a great post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post! I always have a project of some kind going so I usually either put it away where it can't be seen or I just briefly explain what we're doing and move on. I also try (I did say try!) to keep the living room/dining room and upstairs bathroom clean at all times, except when our grand daughter is here! just in case anyone comes over. I like lived-in but neat :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh my gosh...I swear I think you sit down and go...hmmm, what can I write for Angie this week? lol So much of this was written for me! Like the part about, "how can you cook dinner for your family when there are no clean dishes?" And um, right now, you'd be hard pressed to find one right now, truth be told. But I have been in some of my girl friend's houses recently and am surprised to say the least. If I ever thought mine was bad, I know of some that are a whole lot worse. So I've been trying to not be so hard on myself. But like I've said a million times, I just have a discipline problem and I know it. Still working on it though. You are an inspiration to me...knowing that you went through this for a time as well, but came out on the other side more disciplined and better organized for your family's sake.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so much for this post! You are so right. Keeping a tidy home is something that is tough for me sometimes. But when I got married to my hubby in April of this year...I committed to work a lot hard at it than I used to. As my way of honoring him. I still struggle with the dishes...our dishwasher is broken..sigh...but I need to work harder at it. Thanks for this great reminder. I have caught myself thinking I need to clean up because someone is coming over when I need to be thinking...am I honoring God and my husband in how I am keeping our home today? (P.S. He loves doing the laundry and has taken that as his personal gift to us...I need to do better with the rest. :-) I am truly blessed!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are so right my mom is not the best housekeeper and it drives me nuts to have a messed up one. She used to always tell me that I had kids so what do I expect. My grandmother thank goodness was very different from my mom and she helped me devise a daily cleaning plan that worked well with our family

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm too lazy to make a new post but I'm going to try to remember this meme.
    Today I made my house sing by leaving LOL It was a bad morning & I was way grumpy so when I got an unexpeceted invite to lunch I went!
    Looking forward to reading more.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great post! I remember (years ago) listening to someone talk about why we save china for only special occasions and wasn't our family special enough and I thought right then that the best I had would go to my family. (Got rid of the china for which I only had 8 place settings and had NEVER used because it wasn't enough for "special occasions"...we're not china sort of people.) I've stopped doing "super cleaning" before Game Night or whatever, figuring however clean I live with has to be good enough (yes, of course I'll time things so the dishwasher is empty and available, but no more crazy stress in getting ready). Your post was spot on!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's my own fault when my home gets messy. I could blame everyone else, but really, the main housekeeping is my job. Now, RIGHT NOW, there are SEVERAL messes that AREN'T mine, but those will be taken care of when I fuss at . . . I mean, DIRECT the kids today after school . . . : )

    Great post (as usual!)

    ReplyDelete

So glad you stopped by today! Please feel free to subscribe to my blog and/or follow me on facebook. The links are at the bottom of each post.

Thank you for leaving a comment. I love hearing from you! Please keep it nice and sweet and family friendly so I don't have to delete!

Please don't leave a link to your blog (or anyone else's) in your comment. Due to google's new comment spam policy, any comments with links will have to be deleted to protect both you and me!