Sunday, May 30, 2010

MAKING YOUR HOME SING: SUMMER CLEANING FRENZY REVISITED

Making your home sing Mondays

Welcome to the Making Your Home Sing Monday meme! Every day you are doing something to make your house into a home for yourself and your family (if you have one). My point with each Monday post is, what are you doing or going to do today to make your home sing?

It can be an attitude or an action. Motivation, our attitude, baking, encouraging our husband or children (if we have either one), organization, cleaning, saving money....the opportunities are endless.

One year ago I did a meme post talking about how I always have big, big, big plans for summer. That hasn't changed. I always have something that needs doing and I think "This will be a perfect summer project!"

Then summer comes, and goes, and I think "Where did the time go?" and I sometimes feel like I didn't get most of the things accomplished that I wanted to.

That's partially because the "lazy" days of summer call to me. Sunny days, the beautiful, warm sandy beach, a cold pop (or water!), a good book and a comfy spot all call to me. This is also because our family gets very busy with summer activities and things, just as yours does.

Last year I decided to do a Summer Cleaning Frenzy and invited you all to join me. This year I'll be doing my own little version of a cleaning frenzy. Why don't you join me? Just pick a room of the week that you want to focus on, and do a blog post about it. That will give you some accountability, right?

After all, aren't you more likely to do something if you tell someone about it? Won't you be more motivated to work on a task if you know someone is rooting for you, or looking forward to hearing how it went? Wouldn't you rather go into Fall with a neat and orderly home?

So which room would you start with, hmmmm? Your Room of Doom? You know that room. The one room that you dread walking into or by, because you know it really needs a good cleaning. The room you have "nightmares" about, haha!

The entry hall because that's the room everyone first sees when they come into your home? The front porch because that's what people see even before they make it inside?

What does your front porch say about you? What does your yard say? You don't even want to know what my weeds garden says about me!

Which room? The bathroom because it gets messy fast? The master bedroom because you want it to be peaceful and restful instead of a bunch of clutter and disorder calling out to you?

Perhaps it's not just cleaning you want to do. Perhaps you have a room you want to paint, or some furniture you'd like to move around. Do you have some closets that need decluttering?

What is it that you need to do? Let's do it and feel good about it afterward. A toothache hurts like crazy and getting it fixed isn't fun, but isn't it better to get it taken care of rather than living with the pain? What room is the "toothache" in your house?

For this next week I will be working on my front porch and my entry hall. It may seem like a huge list, but it's really not as bad as it looks, especially if you do a little each day. It doesn't take long to sweep cobwebs or wash the glass in a door. Going room by room and getting things done is how I'll be making my home sing this summer, beginning this week.

FRONT PORCH

Toss dead plants/weed

Sweep porch

Sweep cobwebs from eaves

Wash glass in door

Wash outside of windows

ENTRY & HALLWAY

Shake rug and/or wash if haven't washed it already

Sweep and mop floor

Vacuum stairs

Dust furniture, decorations, pictures, and baseboards

Clean glass in picture frames and mirrors

Wipe down railing, banisters or walls as needed

Clean light fixtures and wash globes

Wipe down switch plates

Wash table cover

Organize coat closet

Organize linen hall closet

Organize shoe basket

Replace light bulbs as needed

What are you doing or going to do today to make your home sing? Please go here for instructions and/or ideas and come back here to link up to join us today! Please do not put your own Making Your Home Sing Monday MckLinky on your blog. As always, please don't forget to link to this post. Also, please don't forgot to leave me a comment!

17 comments:

  1. Hi Nan,
    Your house really IS going to sing with all the cleaning you'll be gettng done.
    I've started a new blog that I linked up to. (do I really need two blogs?) I wanted to get Basketmaster's Weavings back on track with just basket weaving and I needed another blog place to have as an outlet for my other interests.
    Happy Memorial Day weekend,
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nan!!! I realized that my post is perfect for your meme!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to get inspiration from you and tackle some summer cleaning, too! Thanks for hosting this fun meme!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. Thanks for the list. Are you gunna' stop by and make sure I get it all done? :)

    I love how organized you are. It is inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gee! Darn! I guess I'll have to pass. Since we are moving and all. And I so wanted to do this with you. LOL! Don't worry, I'm sure that where ever we move too, will need PLENTY of cleaning.
    HUGS
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  6. Girl then you can come over to my house and help me clean and organize.
    I so need motivation!
    Have a beautiful Memorial Day!
    Hugs,
    Mimi

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Nan
    It's been awhile since I've joined in on the fun.
    I don't have a lot of rooms that need cleaning, but I'm just trying to get some of the little stuff organized.

    Hope you had a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Nan, thank you so much for the chicken pox advice! She woke last night and was mega itchy so I gave her an oatmeal bath, and yes, I put it in a sock! It worked well. The Colin came home with calamine cream (no antihistamine in it) and we gave her piriton. She had a good nights sleep and so did I thankfully. It is quite a horrible illness isn't it! I love the idea of buying a wee toy to cheer them up. Great to hear your blog voice! I have been away too long.
    Love Collette xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey there!
    Thanks for stopping by my kitchen corner redo! Boy! I am there with you. And I am a list maker! I was looking for something in a closet for my son - had to wade through too many things. Time to declutter!
    May work on my list today!
    God Bless,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  10. I totally need to make a list like you did and "get er done"....I think the reward of crossing off each task is exactly what I need for the motivation/satisfaction.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am not going to make a post on my blog but my "project" is my room. It's horrid! I have boxes, yes plural, of papers to shred. My dilemma is not knowing how/where to shred them. My little home shredder is no task for my papers. I will burn it up.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hola Nan!!!
    great list I should print it out and do it in my house! =)
    Thanks for stopping by the other day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh man, it's hard to get motivated to clean in summer. Everyday is a day full of outdoor summer fun :-)I'll join you though, but not until next week. I've gotta work up to it you know :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello, I found you from Blogfrog,
    please join my community and visit my blog if you have chance for exchange our Quality time!

    http://theblogfrog.com/1233755
    http://beonefineday.blogspot.com

    Have a great day.
    Nan

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ok.. I am gonna do it too! I have been planning on doing this anyway so here goes nothing.

    I will start with the boys room this week. Then the Study next week. then our bedroom, then the kitchen! then well, you get the picture. We need to have it all done by Aug. 1 so I can pack to go the the States.

    ARe you feeling better? I assume you haven´t been posting cause you are under the weather. I hope you will be resting and not overdoing it.

    Big hug
    Dani Joy

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for the list. Are you gunna' stop by and make sure I get it all done?
    PPC Advertising India

    ReplyDelete
  17. So sad that I missed the linky to link up this week. :(

    My whole house is a "room of doom". My room, my kids' rooms, even the living room and kitchen. We just have too small a house. And now that my grandfather has passed, I am accumulating MORE stuff! Fly Lady would be ashamed.

    I am hoping that I get to get everything decluttered that I want this summer, AND that we are able to (finally) move into that BIGGER house to FIT all this 'stuff' in!

    I will be trying to keep up with you. : )

    God Bless!

    ReplyDelete

So glad you stopped by today! Please feel free to subscribe to my blog and/or follow me on facebook. The links are at the bottom of each post.

Thank you for leaving a comment. I love hearing from you! Please keep it nice and sweet and family friendly so I don't have to delete!

Please don't leave a link to your blog (or anyone else's) in your comment. Due to google's new comment spam policy, any comments with links will have to be deleted to protect both you and me!