Sunday, May 23, 2010

MAKING YOUR HOME SING MONDAY: Managing Our Homes

Making your home sing Mondays

Welcome to the Making Your Home Sing Monday meme! Every day you are doing something to make your house into a home for yourself and your family (if you have one). My point with each Monday post is, what are you doing or going to do today to make your home sing?

It can be an attitude or an action. Motivation, our attitude, baking, encouraging our husband or children (if we have either one), organization, cleaning, saving money....the opportunities are endless.

We are managers of our homes. If you were given a review based on how you managed your home, would you pass with flying colors? Would you be put on probation? Or would you be fired? I have times where, if I were judged based on how I managed my home that week, I am pretty sure that I would be fired.

Do you have trouble sometimes, like me? Let's make a list of our priorities. Then make a list of the main activities that take up our time. Do our activities reflect our priorities? If the Lord is a high priority, do our actions support that? Do our activities support our love for our husbands, our children and our home?

Are we spending way to much time on the wrong priorities? Are we out of balance?

If we truly desire to place our homes and family first, are we then constantly putting them second? Is laundry always taking second place to blogging? Is dinner always an afterthought? Is cleaning second to the t.v. program? Do we say one thing and yet do another? Do our actions match our words?

One of the difficult things about being at home is learning to manage our time. I don't know about you, but I can easily be tempted by a phone call to go do something fun. After all, the laundry will still be waiting for me when I get back, right? I deserve to get out, right? But to much playtime and I have a Mt. Never-Rest of laundry that is overwhelming!

Time management is learning to manage our schedule, not letting our schedule manage us. It's learning when to say "no" to the t.v., and the clothes shopping trips, and the lunches out when we need to, and saying "yes" to the laundry, and the cleaning, and the dinner preparations.

My husband doesn't get up every morning and decide whether or not to go to work that day. He just goes. He doesn't get up and say "Well, I'd rather do this today instead." He doesn't do everything he wants to do that day and squeeze his job in when and if he can.

He doesn't sleep in if he feels like it. He goes to work. He is consistent. That's because he looks upon his work as his job, his responsibility, a way to provide for his family. He is also fortunate in that he loves his job.

Do you love your job of making a home for yourself and your family? Do you love it? Do you have a smile on your face as you go about your business, or a permanent frown? Are you singing or complaining?

It's not easy to put someone else's needs before your own. It's not easy to give up on something fun in order to do something that needs doing. But daily, we are called to do that.

We are managers of our homes. What kind of manager do we want to be? A good manager or a poor manager? Do we want to send our families out into the world with full stomachs, clean clothes, matching shoes, a whispered prayer and a smile on their face? Or do we want to rush them out the door with an empty stomach, yesterday's clothes, and the memory of our growling "Hurry up or you'll be late!!!!" in their ear?

We can manage our homes, or let our homes manage us. Who's in charge here anyway? Let's take charge of our homes and make them sing!

What are you doing or going to do today to make your home sing? Please go here for instructions and/or ideas and come back here to link up to join us today! Please do not put your own Making Your Home Sing Monday MckLinky on your blog. As always, please don't forget to link to this post. Also, please don't forgot to leave me a comment!

13 comments:

  1. This kind of accountability sounds exciting! Unfortunately Mondays are our family day and I am often not home to make it sing!Lol

    Since I don't like to mention things on my blog like "we are going to such and such a place" I am not sure it will work! Perhaps I will link up on a day when I am sure to be at home!

    Great idea! Have a blessed week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE my job! I LOVE IT! I wouldn't trade this job for any job in the world. But like every job it does have it's days! LOL!
    Love you my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great way to think of myself - as a home manager! I am working hard on time management and setting priorities - especially since my children will be out of school for the summer next week and I want to do my best at being the mom they need!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful post. I truly wish I could say that I love my job as a home manager all the time, but sadly, sometimes I just don't. Sometimes I get tired of cleaning and cooking. It is those times though that I try to mix things up a bit so it is not the same ol' dulldrum. I play silly games with myself like just how fast can I clean the toilets. ;-)
    Have a blessed week!
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another great post... thank you for the great reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ouch! This post was very convicting to me, but exactly what I needed. So thanks, for helping me remember to get my priorities right and give my "job" the same quality and attention that I expect my husband to give his. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love it, love it, love it! Wonderful words of encouragement on our priorities and schedules. Thank you for sharing, blessing and if it takes a little prod, to manage our homes better, you gave some great reasons! I am blessed and encouraged today.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for this post, Nan! I also want to thank you for last week's. I went a whole week getting dressed and ready for the day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. hi Nan :-D
    I see that you have chosen to continue on in the 'meddling' type of postings ... geesh ... o;-p!!

    For years I used the line, "I wish that my children were half as patient as the housework is".

    The challenge there though, is that housework might wait patiently, but it multiples while doing so (espically laundry, dishes and cobwebs) and has a way of showing it's neglect at the most in-opertune times, such as when dinner is ready but there are no clean plates to eat it on; or no clean undearwear to be found anywhere in the house, etc.

    May the Lord bless you for continuing to encourage us in the paths that we should walk (be walking).

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really needed to read this message this week! I tend to forget where my focus should lie and instead get caught up in the "outside" things! Thanks for the reminder today of what I'm actually here for! : )

    All linked up for ya - think I finally got the hang of it, LOL!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. For those of us that are home full-time, homemaking is our career, the best job in the world! And, so, why not be the best we can be? But, just like anything else, it gets old, doing the same things all the time. Remembering that we are not just doing it for ourselves or our families, but for the Lord, gives me motivation. Great post, Nan!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Today is Messy Monday - and I just need to dig in. When life gets overwhelming, which it does, the first thing I drop is the the physicality of home maintenance in order to preserve the heart of the home.Then when my spirit has revived from the faced challenges, I dig in!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ha! I think many of us would dread a review on homemaking...

    ReplyDelete

So glad you stopped by today! Please feel free to subscribe to my blog and/or follow me on facebook. The links are at the bottom of each post.

Thank you for leaving a comment. I love hearing from you! Please keep it nice and sweet and family friendly so I don't have to delete!

Please don't leave a link to your blog (or anyone else's) in your comment. Due to google's new comment spam policy, any comments with links will have to be deleted to protect both you and me!