Sunday, May 9, 2010

MAKING YOUR HOME SING: BE INTENTIONAL

Making your home sing Mondays


Welcome to the Making Your Home Sing Monday meme! Every day you are doing something to make your house into a home for yourself and your family (if you have one). My point with each Monday post is, what are you doing or going to do today to make your home sing?

It can be an attitude or an action. Motivation, our attitude, baking, encouraging our husband or children (if we have either one), organization, cleaning, saving money....the opportunities are endless.

The nice thing about Mother's Day is that it's intentional. It's a day set aside in which we honor our own mothers and our children honor us.....or at least be nicer to us, haha!

My purpose for this meme is to be intentional. It is so easy to go about your day being busy cooking, cleaning, diapering, etc., and be on auto-pilot. I mean seriously, how many of us could practically fold laundry in our sleep? Note I said "practically." Wouldn't it be nice if we could do laundry in our sleep?

When you tuck your children in bed for the night, are you there in the moment? Are you there listening to what they're saying? Are you there when they kiss you goodnight, or are you thinking about what you're going to do now that they're finally in bed?

Are you paying attention when your husband tells you how his day went, or are you thinking "I can top that, dude!?" Are you listening to him or just to busy always thinking about what you're going to say next?

I know that I am guilty of only half-listening sometimes. I am guilty of thinking about what I have to do next, or wondering if I should do this or that now or later.

I am guilty of cooking, cleaning, and doing all the wife and mom things we have to do, without being intentional about them. I am guilty of doing them to get them done, but not really doing them to bless my family.

I am guilty of doing them to bless myself and get them over with. Not that there is anything wrong with wanting to be done with something, except that I am not being intentional when I am thinking about it as a chore. I am not thinking about how I can bless my family.

How can we bless our families when we're cooking? How about trying a new recipe, or making a favorite meal, or putting candles out on the table, or google how to fold the napkins in a fun way.

How can we bless them when we're doing laundry? How about mending or ironing a favorite shirt, or putting their clothes away for them, instead of waiting for them to do it.

How can we bless them when we're cleaning? How about making their bed for them and putting a sweet note on their pillow? How about putting their shoes away, or their backpacks away and do it with a smile and an "I love you!" instead of a frown.

How can we bless our families while we're going about the "business" of being a mom? Be intentional. Look for opportunities to bless them. Look for ways to be in the moment.

Turn off the t.v. or "mute" it when your husband or children comes into the room to say something to say to you. Give them your full attention. Does your family feel like they have to compete with the t.v. (or the computer) for your attention? Do you have one eye on them and one on the t.v. when they're talking to you?

As the mother of a teenager I can tell you that you will miss many important conversations if you don't mute the t.v., or if you don't turn away from the computer. Teenagers will not tell you the important things that they NEED to tell you, if they feel that you aren't really listening to them. There are times when they need to talk and share what's on their hearts, but they won't if they feel like your interest is elsewhere. Many a light, simple talk turned into a deeper, important conversation because a mom was listening.

Be intentional. Be there in the moment. Don't make them compete for your attention. This will make them smile and make your home sing this week!

What are you doing or going to do today to make your home sing? Please go here for instructions and/or ideas and come back here to link up to join us today! Please do not put your own Making Your Home Sing Monday MckLinky on your blog. As always, please don't forget to link to this post. Also, please don't forgot to leave me a comment!

7 comments:

  1. Excellent, Excellent post my friend.
    So true. You really have to make all we do intentional. We won't always but the effort needs to be there because like you said, we might miss some very important times and conversations if we don't.

    HUGS!!
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is so easy to be half listening, when you have a list of things that need to be done in your head or other things on your mind. Thank you for sharing this today, Nan!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This hit home, as a thunder storm woke all of us up at 2:30 this morning and it was difficult to get back to sleep. I found myself wishing I could have slept in instead of having to get up early so Kyle could get ready and I could get him to school. When I was dropping him off and telling him to have a good day and that I love him, I realized that one day, I will miss mornings like this.
    Thanks for posting this today!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am afraid I missed some precious opportunities a long the way with my kids...I pray they forgive me and I try to be attentive to their needs, even today as they are all grown (accept one). I certainly got better at it as I went along.
    Hugs,
    andrea

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, that is a great word. I took a computer fast yesterday, and it was a lot easier to be intentional about stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love reading your posts... I always learn so much. I think I might print this word out to remind me throughout the day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Being intentional....a very good lesson! Over the years, I have been guilty of not giving my full attention to my family. I missed out whenever I didn't devote that attention to them. Some lessons are learned the hard way.

    Thanks for sharing this post...I know many have been blessed by it!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I love hearing from you! Please keep it nice and sweet and family friendly so I don't have to delete!

Please don't leave a link to your blog (or anyone else's) in your comment. Due to google's new comment spam policy, any comments with links will have to be deleted to protect both you and me!

So I'd still love to hear from you! Just don't type out a link to share! ;)