Sunday, May 16, 2010

MAKING YOUR HOME SING: ARE YOU LAZY WITH YOUR APPEARANCE?

Making your home sing Mondays

Welcome to the Making Your Home Sing Monday meme! Every day you are doing something to make your house into a home for yourself and your family (if you have one). My point with each Monday post is, what are you doing or going to do today to make your home sing?

It can be an attitude or an action. Motivation, our attitude, baking, encouraging our husband or children (if we have either one), organization, cleaning, saving money....the opportunities are endless.

Today I was talking about makeup with a friend at church. She was explaining why she doesn't wear makeup.

I was explaining that I wear makeup on Sundays or sometimes if I go out to dinner, but that I don't usually wear makeup during the week.

Here is my "excuse" why. Below is a picture of me without makeup on.



Yup, here I am with no makeup. Please ignore the mess on the counter. Apparently the time saved by not putting on makeup is not used to clean off the kitchen counter.


Here is a picture of me with makeup. Wow, huge difference, huh? Ummmmm.....not!

However, I do like wearing makeup because I feel that it makes my eyes stand out and "brightens" my face up a bit. But do I wear it every day?

Nope.

When did this start? I'm not really sure but I think it started when I began wearing my glasses a lot more.

When I wore contacts I pretty much always wore makeup, but once my contacts died and I didn't replace them, I began wearing makeup less and less.

I have a hubby that doesn't really care if I wear makeup or not. So I've been lazy and not worn it when I am "at home."

Wearing makeup or not wearing it isn't the issue. The issue is that sometimes we moms allow ourselves to get lazy in our appearance. I know that I have.

We tend to put on big sloppy t-shirts and sweatshirts to hide the extra pounds that our loving babies have added to us. We tend to keep the pounds even when our babies are 17, ahem. We tend to stop wearing perfume, because it sort of interferes with the smell of baby spitup.

We even, on occasion, tend to stay in our pajamas for all day sometimes, because after all, we're just going to get right back in them again!

We tend to not fix ourselves up for our husbands anymore. Gone are the days of putting on makeup, or if we never wore makeup then fixing our hair, or carefully selecting our clothes, etc.

We tend to not "fix ourselves up" anymore unless we're going out.

I don't believe that our outward beauty should overshadow our inward beauty. But, we should definitely try to make ourselves look pleasing and attractive for our husbands, our children, and ourselves.

If we've become lazy, do we ever think about how we must look to others when we go out? What example are we setting for our children? What are we saying about how we feel about ourselves? Do we look as if we care about our appearance? What do our clothes, our hair, our appearance say about us? Do we look as if we've given up or just don't care?

As I said, clearly concern for the outward appearance can be taken to the extreme. But I see nothing wrong with trying to take care of ourselves, and changing into a nice shirt and fixing ourselves up so that we don't look as if we just woke up. Would you want to come home to that night after night?

If we fix ourselves up for total strangers when we go out, but we don't do it for the ones we love the most at home, what is that saying?

This week I encourage you to make your home sing by evaluating your appearance, and asking whether you have allowed yourself to get a little lazy lately, whether it's in the clothes you wear (saving your "good" clothes for going out and wearing your old, sloppy ones at home) or not fixing your hair or makeup (if you wear it).

Let's welcome our husbands and children tomorrow morning (or ourselves if we're single) with a beauty that comes from within and is enhanced from without. With or without makeup, let's fix ourselves up for those we love, because surely they deserve to see us at our best. If we fix ourselves up for others, shouldn't they fix ourselves up for them? Shouldn't we deserve to feel good about ourselves too?

What are you doing or going to do today to make your home sing? Please go here for instructions and/or ideas and come back here to link up to join us today! Please do not put your own Making Your Home Sing Monday MckLinky on your blog. As always, please don't forget to link to this post. Also, please don't forgot to leave me a comment!




19 comments:

  1. funny. You look pretty with or without makeup. I do try to look cute, even though I will put some crazy photos up on the blog. Nice post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. AMEN Girlfriend...I rarely wear make up...I sure pray my inner beauty is shining!
    Hugs,
    andrea

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sooo true Nan! I was very guilty of this early on and then I realized I not only did I send the message that I didn't care but inside I began to "feel" that way as well! I later learned the LORD cared about me and helped me to see myself in HIS eyes....then I could share that inner joy and it was amazing the transformation!

    Love this post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nan I am a mary kay consultant and I don't wear make up but I do use the skin care. I have seen pics with my make up on and I do look a little better but I guess I am lazy....lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't go anywhere without makeup. But I have a good reason...

    When our oldest son (now 22 yrs.) was five, I always walked him into the school and downs to his classroom. I was the homeroom mom, and spoke with his teacher almost daily. I usually went there dressed in whatever I had thrown on, barely taking time to pull a brush through my hair.

    One morning, before school, my son looked at me for a minute and said, "Do you think you could put some lipstick or something on before you take me into the school?" Ouch.

    Ever since that day, I've tried my best to look my best before leaving our house.

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. OK I think you wrote this post just for me :)


    I hear you Lord!! Loud and clear! even though it was through my friend Nan! I know it is really from you!



    Thanks Nan!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I went through the whole sloppy stage for a few years after having my babies, but have slowly gotten back in the habit of looking human when my hubby gets home. That is unless I'm in the middle of something that takes blood, sweat and tears. Like, laundry! Then he can wait a little bit. LOL!

    This post totally hit home my friend. I'm not a big make up wearer any way so there isn't a big difference with or without but I do try to at least brush my hair. LOL!

    HUGS
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great post. I don't feel I look sloppy because I'm clean and hair brushed. I have been trying to put on a skirt more often for the hubby and it makes me feel pretty too. The sweet thing is that after 22 years of marriage, hubby says I look beautiful no matter what I wear or do to my hair or makeup. After 22 years of marriage he just knows the right things to say.
    Blessings,
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nan, you look great without make-up! I on the other hand, HAVE to put on my face right away in the morning or it could get scary :-) Now I was just looking for a baggy sweatshirt to cover my extra pounds. I may rethink it now :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Have you been peeking in my house? LOL! I usually wear sweats around the house, but I do change into a skirt when we go anywhere or if I go outside. I am cold natured, so I try to stay warm. I do rarely wear makeup except for when we go to church or have somewhere to go.

    Have a great day!! Thank you for the encouragement!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, it's so easy to get into a rut, isn't it? I try to get myself "together" each day but I don't always succeed. Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful tip to be our best, to radiate beauty from the inside out, but to take care of our appearance. Many husbands will be appreciating you this week! Thanks for the encouragement.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Nan,
    Thanks for commenting on my blog. As you might have noticed, it's been almost a year since I bothered to post anything... I love the look of your blog! I'll definately stop by to read and mark it as a favorite. :)
    .
    .
    .
    Btw...I NEVER shave my legs, lol. :S I hate shaving.

    ReplyDelete
  14. My dear friend Nan, y-e-s, I am still your friend! And yes, I realize that I am quite behind on reading your postings. SORRY!!! I have evey intention of catching up, and soon!!!

    Just wanted to say a quick Hi!! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  15. I AM lazy with my appearance. In my defense though, I'm afraid to comb my hair right now, because it's all falling out, and I'm afraid I'll be BALD if I comb it too much. I don't have excuses for the rest of me though.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I find I feel better about myself when I have make up on. With my job, I try to have my make-up on every day. But when I am home and have no where to go, I never do. Maybe I should rethink that...

    ReplyDelete
  17. how coincidental that I should read this today. I was actually pondering some of these same thoughts earlier..the whole thing of how wives in the 50s would make sure to be all primped and pressed when their husbands came home...looking their best for him after he'd been at work all day.
    I think one of the things that worries me most about getting married next week is that he will start seeing me w/o makeup. He's seen me a few times over the past 5 years w/o it...but everyday? luckily I get up way earlier...and with dim lighting at night, well, maybe he won't notice so much.
    I never go ANYWHERE w/o my makeup. It's the joke of my family, but honestly, it really DOES make a difference on me. blotchy skin color, no noticeable eyes w/o the definition makeup gives.
    I just need it to feel good about myself!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Okay, I think I did the link right this time! : ) God Bless!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is a great post! Thanks for your nice comment on mine. Just yesterday I met Erin (of Nagle 5 News, who participates in your Making Your Home Sing Mondays), and she mentioned your fantastic blog. :)I'm havin fun poking around here.

    Blessings on your weekend!

    ReplyDelete

So glad you stopped by today! Please feel free to subscribe to my blog and/or follow me on facebook. The links are at the bottom of each post.

Thank you for leaving a comment. I love hearing from you! Please keep it nice and sweet and family friendly so I don't have to delete!

Please don't leave a link to your blog (or anyone else's) in your comment. Due to google's new comment spam policy, any comments with links will have to be deleted to protect both you and me!