Sunday, April 25, 2010

MAKING YOUR HOME SING: OR CLEAR ITS THROAT

Making your home sing Mondays

Welcome to the Making Your Home Sing Monday meme! Every day you are doing something to make your house into a home for yourself and your family (if you have one). My point with each Monday post is, what are you doing or going to do today to make your home sing?

It can be an attitude or an action. Motivation, our attitude, baking, encouraging our husband or children (if we have either one), organization, cleaning, saving money....the opportunities are endless.

Wow. We had an amazing weekend with our church's youth group and it's leaders and helpers. Now it's time to retake my home, which was left to fend for itself as we ran in and out and back and forth to the church this weekend.

We would run in to pick something up (or do something) and then back to the church. Our dogs were thrilled every time one of us would come in to let them out, and then feel dejected again as we left. I am pretty sure that my clutter was glad to see me leave, however. It wanted to be left alone so it could multiply.

Laundry is piling up in epic proportions, and the dishwasher needs to be unloaded. The Sunday newspaper is scattered around as people read it, instead of being put in its proper place. I have a load of laundry patiently waiting to be folded too.

Plus, I am tired!

Do you ever feel like you could just curl up and take a nap? I am not a nap taker, but I think I could learn to like it right about now.

So, here's my plan to make my home sing: I am going to relax a bit and recover from our busy weekend. Oh, it was awesome people! If you're on facebook with me, I'll be posting some pictures later.

The youth of our church participated in the 30 Hour Famine sponsored by World Vision. They fasted from noon on Friday until 6:00 p.m. Saturday night. That's 30 hours. Plus, they stayed at the church from Friday to Saturday.

They turned over their cell phones for safe keeping. Yup, they went cold turkey without being able to text! They slept in their clothes on the hard floor (with no pillows or blankets for comfort in order to truly "experience" what it's like), played games that were famine-related, made 150 sandwiches that they weren't allowed to eat because they were fasting, and later were eager to hand the sack lunches out to a lot of hungry people. Then they marched joyously with signs and sang and hollered.

Their enthusiasm, humility and desire to make a difference in their world is humbling! These kids raised around $3,000 for World Vision to fight hunger, and my husband and I were blessed to be able to hang out with them this weekend.

However, I am now tired, lol! So today (Sunday) I will relax and recharge. Tomorrow I will begin to tackle my home and tame it into submission. But today, I will make my home sing by clearing its throat a bit.....it won't really be singing till tomorrow.

What are you doing or going to do today to make your home sing? Please go here for instructions and/or ideas and come back here to link up to join us today! Please do not put your own Making Your Home Sing Monday MckLinky on your blog. As always, please don't forget to link to this post. Also, please don't forgot to leave me a comment!

13 comments:

  1. Clearing it's throat...that's funny, Nan.

    What a weekend you all had. I'm so proud of the kids and so thankful to all who helped.

    Have a great week,
    Nannette

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, running in and out of the home does not lend itself to order. I take your share of naps--LOL. I think I have a degree in napping. Sounds like a fabulous weekend, though. The house will get up to speed eventually, but what you guys participated in is changing heaven and earth.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow what an amazing weekend. I'm sure those who participated felt a true spiritual experience.
    Blessings,
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nan,

    That sounds like an awesome thing for them to do. Our weekend was busy and I am tired too. Not sure my house will be taken care of completely this week. It will drive me bonkers but something has got to give. Dusting can wait:)
    Hugs,
    mimi

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is just wonderful that the youth did all of that. It is not often that kids are willing to give up much of themselves for any reason. I am sure that it was a blessed experience for everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great thing for the family to be involved in. Hope that you get to rest and renew and cherish the memories and rejoice in the spiritual growth a weekend like that can bring.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, Mr. Linky keeps telling me "oops" instead of letting me link up - how rude!

    As long as your home is not clearing it's throat at you with a very clear annoyed sound to it - all's good. If however, it does make that sound in the process of clearing it's throat, ya might want to take on a "Pastor's wife air" and notify it that it's attitude is showing, that you don't appreciate it, espically due to the fact that yu were out doing the Lord's work, and instruct it to get over itself, and fast like!!!! (o;-p)

    Nan, don't push yourself too hard to 'get caught back up'. Our physical bodies have limits ...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Nan,

    That 30 Hour Famine sounds like a wonderful experience, a great way to empathize with those who are hungry, homeless, and persecuted.

    I hope you soon feel rested and energized. ☺

    ♥Hope

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those hungry people were definitely blessed by your church! What a testimony!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That does sound awesome! That is one of the neatest things I've heard of. I thinking resting and then getting things in order is a great way to bless your family. We had a busy weekend too, so I'll being doing the same to bless my family.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi..I’m Barb …. I am your newest follower. I hope you will get a chance to visit my blog @ santasgiftshoppe.blogspot.com
    & get inspired by something for your family/home. I hope you will follow me as well. We also are having a Mother’s Day Giveaway til Wed. hope you can join in. Nice to meet ya new friend!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That sounds so inspiring, Nan. After a weekend with that much emotion flying around, I'd say naps and taking it easy should definitely be part of your game plan this week.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well, I'm late to link to this and to comment. But late is better than never!! Sorry for the delay. It's been a horrible week! Please pray for me. So, now I'm not getting much done with the house... It can wait.

    Shellie

    ReplyDelete

So glad you stopped by today! Please feel free to subscribe to my blog and/or follow me on facebook. The links are at the bottom of each post.

Thank you for leaving a comment. I love hearing from you! Please keep it nice and sweet and family friendly so I don't have to delete!

Please don't leave a link to your blog (or anyone else's) in your comment. Due to google's new comment spam policy, any comments with links will have to be deleted to protect both you and me!