Sunday, March 7, 2010

MAKING YOUR HOME SING: SPRING CLEANING

Making your home sing Mondays

Welcome to the Making Your Home Sing Monday meme! Every day you are doing something to make your house into a home for yourself and your family (if you have one). My point with each Monday post is, what are you doing or going to do today to make your home sing?

It can be an attitude or an action. Motivation, our attitude, baking, encouraging our husband or children (if we have either one), organization, cleaning, saving money....the opportunities are endless.

What heralds Spring to you? Is it the bouts of sunshine? The lack of snow on the ground? Flowers? The singing of birds?

Spring is on it's way, people. Can you believe it? I can't.

I love spring cleaning. Don't you? I just love the "idea" of it. Did your mom ever do spring cleaning? Mine did. When I was little we had a big ole' house with three floors, and man there was a lot of cleaning to do.

My mom did most of it herself.

Yup, you heard right. Huge massive house, and my mom did most of the work. Except when spring cleaning rolled around.

Then she'd ask for help. I remember hanging rugs on the clothes line and "beating" them. Don't ask me why we didn't use a vacuum. I have no idea.

The funny thing is, we don't need to do the same kinds of spring cleaning today as they used to do. Our homes aren't filled with lamps that put soot everywhere. We can vacuum throughout the year, sweep and mop as needed, spot clean things, etc.

Still, the idea of spring cleaning is pleasing to me. A fresh start. Knowing everything is neat and in order. Windows are cleaned, the silverware drawer is crumb free, walls are spot cleaned as needed. That's spring cleaning. It's also when I clean out the cupboards, reorganize the closets, straighten up the drawers, etc.

I walk around each room and make a list of what I think needs to be done. For example, here are a couple of lists from my Summer Cleaning Frenzy last year. I also do a little each day. I don't do a marathon clean in one week, I spread it out over a few.

Marathon cleaning can wipe you out, plus the rest of the house tends to fall apart while you're hyper focusing in one room. Doing a little at a time, and spreading it out, leaves you with energy to maintain a sense of order in the rest of the house. Especially the rooms you've already cleaned.

Have you ever wanted to move just so that you can have a fresh start in a new home? Well, you don't have to move to do that. You can just start where you are and give your house a good ole' spring cleaning. That's how I'll be making my home sing for the next few weeks. Feel free to join me!

What are you doing or going to do today to make your home sing? Please go here for instructions and/or ideas and come back here to link up to join us today! Please do not put your own Making Your Home Sing Monday Linky on your blog. As always, please don't forget to link to this post. Also, please don't forgot to leave me a comment!

24 comments:

  1. I totally feel that way. I want a new house to start all over. jeje but I will try what you suggested.

    I like the idea of making a list of things that need to be done in each room and tackling it little at a time. Let´s see if I can follow through.

    I finally linked up today.

    Dani Joy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I ADORE spring cleaning! But I am a cleaning fanatic too....

    My biggest problem is that I over do it. Like, it isn't good enough to just dust...I have to dust, clean with a toothbrush, polish, and dust again.

    (I am a bad FlyBaby!!!!!)

    Hmmm....Bossy Boy is home sick today....maybe I will start my spring cleaning!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes!! I love spring cleaning also!!

    Hoping to do the garage soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. YOu are so wise! LOL!

    Today I'm getting my butt to the gym to make my home sing because I haven't been in over a week because I pulled a muscle and if I don't get to the gym soon I'm going to pull my hair out and there will be no singing in the hacienda! How is that for a run on sentence? LOL!
    Love you my friend.
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also love Spring cleaning! Thanks for sharing and motivating us to get started!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Spring Cleaning is so refreshing, but such hard work!! Yes, the weather here is warming up...At least THIS week. So...Maybe the bug will get me and motivate me to keep going! Little by little.

    Thanks for your post and for the encouragement to get started!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I need to do some spring "PURGING" at our house....attic...and garage!!

    Blessings, andrea

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't wait to get the windows open and clean clean clean! i love spring time just for the cleaning:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes Nan, I dod love spring cleaning! I plan to do the windows to kick start it. Whenever I wash the windows inside and out, it brings in extra sunshine which just gets me in the spring cleaning mood! :)
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hate doing spring cleaning, but I admit, I do love the results. I do have a tendancy to concentrate on one room or area, to the neglect of others--I have to remind myself that it didn't get like this in a day, and it doesnt have to get completely cleaned in a day, either!

    ReplyDelete
  11. My favorite part of spring cleaning is putting away toys. -In the spring I pack up most of the indoor toys and don't pull them out again until fall.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really need to do some spring cleaning and decluttering. Would you come over and make me do it, pretty please?!?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Nan :-}
    There are two bonus factors which beating rugs on a line get you that just vacuming them doesn't.
    First off, beating the heck out of them loosens more things up then a vacumes suction does.
    Secondly, after you beat them, you usually leave them hanging for awhile. Thus they get a good airing out at the same time.
    Double bonus!

    According to 'some', all year long you spot clean walls, during spring cleaning, you thourally wash them down, thus removing all dust, etc.. Another good reason to make it a whole family process ;-p

    Accoridng to some old wife methodologies, you can't start doing things outside, including gardening, etc., till your whole house is spring cleaned.
    For one, you are removing all of the build up from months of being mainly indoors.
    For two, get rid of all of the old stuffy dust, etc. so that the fresh new air coming through the now open windows can really penetrate.
    And thirdly, not letting yourself be out in the wonderful spring air, etc., until your whole house is thouraly spring cleaned, now that's motivation!!!!!

    I wish you well with your efforts my friend!!

    And for the record, I am NOT saying the above mentioned ways are how I do things .... Just listing what I've 'been told' ..... o:-}

    http://thebzhousethatlovebuilt.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you so much for this post! It has inspired me to start my Spring Cleaning. We are going away this weekend so I think I will simply make a list of things to get done so that I can get started ASAP upon our return. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I spring cleaned as I unpacked stuff, there was dust all over everything and I wanted it to look all nice in the townhouse!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love Spring cleaning...I just wish it were Summer, and over with! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm ready for spring cleaning too. I was just thinking last week how I needed to sweep under my big braided rug. So I'll have to figure that out soon....well after the next two weeks. These 2 weeks are too busy to think about doing much cleaning at all.

    Take care my friend!
    Hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love, love, love spring cleaning...feeling like everything is new and fresh as we shake off winter is fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I do need to do some Spring cleaning! I really want to clean up the house as if I were going to put it on the market to sell - not sure why I don't keep it that way all the time!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am taking dominion over some of the places that NEVER get clean. My spice rack, the cupboards, ect. It feels great. I actually got on my hands and knees yesterday and scrubbed my bathroom floor instead of using a mop. It looks shiny!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I've never been into spring cleaning, but you're inspiring me!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I am not at all looking forward to spring cleaning. Think I'll put that off until spring 2011!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Comment answer,yes, Gary and both of his brothers look very much like their dad.

    I've been thinking about spring cleaning, but I think Gary actually has the bug.

    He put in a new toilet last week, he came home today and decided to clean the dining room from top to bottom...what's next? I think I'll let him keep going. Then I'll take it from there.

    Oh I washed the shower curtain, that's a start, LOL!

    Take care,
    Nannette

    ReplyDelete

So glad you stopped by today! Please feel free to subscribe to my blog and/or follow me on facebook. The links are at the bottom of each post.

Thank you for leaving a comment. I love hearing from you! Please keep it nice and sweet and family friendly so I don't have to delete!

Please don't leave a link to your blog (or anyone else's) in your comment. Due to google's new comment spam policy, any comments with links will have to be deleted to protect both you and me!