Sunday, March 14, 2010

MAKING YOUR HOME SING MONDAY: FINISH WHAT YOU STARTED

Making your home sing Mondays

Welcome to the Making Your Home Sing Monday meme! Every day you are doing something to make your house into a home for yourself and your family (if you have one). My point with each Monday post is, what are you doing or going to do today to make your home sing?

It can be an attitude or an action. Motivation, our attitude, baking, encouraging our husband or children (if we have either one), organization, cleaning, saving money....the opportunities are endless.

How many projects do you have sitting around your house? How many "starts" do you have that are waiting for the "finish?" How many times have you started something and not finished it?

Now, ask me about the things around the house that I dragged out to do and have yet to put back. Ask me if I've finished what I started around here? Go on, ask me!

Stop.
Nagging.
Me.
Thank you.

"Finish what you started." Who hasn't heard that? So I have some Christmas decorations out that I'm supposed to be making some decisions on. Do they go or do they stay? Shouldn't I have done that at Christmas time? Why is it March and I am still avoiding dealing with them? Ugh.

I have some home accessories that I brought out in order to change up the ones I already have. But then I sort of lost my desire to do that so they're still out, along with the ones I already have out. They're staring me in the face and laughing out loud. Rude.

I have waaaaay to many baskets sitting around, begging me to either find a spot for them or let them find someone else who will love them.

I began to change my living room from its seasonal fall/winter look to its spring/summer look, then I just never went back and finished. It looks way to cluttered and some of the spring stuff is still in there with the fall stuff.

I bought a lovely metal star to hang up and it's still sitting on the floor patiently waiting for someone (meaning husband) to hang it up. Of course, my husband is waiting for someone (meaning me) to decide where it's supposed to go. (If you knew my aim you wouldn't ask about my problem with nails and walls)

I have folded socks sitting next to the telephone. Don't ask. At least they're clean.

Of course I'm still working on the spring cleaning that I mentioned last week (and I have some items just waiting to go to the thrift store to prove it). Need to finish what I started there as well.

I have clutter sitting around that doesn't classify as a project, but since I started cleaning and then stopped it falls under the "finish what you started."

Sometimes you need to sit down and evaluate whether you want to continue on with a project that you started (as I eventually did with some craft projects). People change and sometimes our tastes or likes change and we're just not "into" something anymore.

Sometimes we hold onto things for years because they are a fond memory of the way we used to be. But that often doesn't leave room for who we are today. Sometimes we have to let go of what we started, if we know we're never going to finish, in order to start something else.

So, this week I can make my home sing by evaluating and finishing what I started. I don't always get everything done that I shoot for on "Making Your Home Sing Monday" posts, but even if I get a few of these things done we'll be singing around here!

What are you doing or going to do today to make your home sing? Please go here for instructions and/or ideas and come back here to link up to join us today! Please do not put your own Making Your Home Sing Monday Linky on your blog. As always, please don't forget to link to this post. Also, please don't forgot to leave me a comment!

13 comments:

  1. hey honey!!! long time no see...I had this antique settee and I needed to do something to make it nicer...so from start to finish...I ripped it apart and fixed it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have SO many projects that I have started and never finished that I can not even list them all. I have HUGE problem with this. Trying to really work on it though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have so many projects started...and am committed to getting them marked off the list.....Love your blog..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Which reminds me I really need to paint those bedroom doors I have been wanting to paint for i don't know...6 years. Thanks Nan getting on that this spring for sure.
    Hugs,
    Mimi

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, My!! Will I finish what I start this week??? If you read my post, it seems like the impossible, but I will diligently work at it. At least, that is my goal! Thanks for the encouragement, Nan.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I needed this reminder and kick in the pants! LOL I started working on the "junk room" the other day and after I pulled everything out, of course making the rest of the house "junky," I quit. So now, I not only have a partially cleaned out junk room, I have all the "junk" scattered around the house, waiting to be tossed or put away. CRAZINESS! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. All my sewing this past few weeks is aimed toward finishing my projects. I've also set myself a goal of either a) scrapbooking by summer or b) getting rid of my unused scrapbooking stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Me, put things off????? When were you in my house, and which son let you in?!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm telling you--one blitz. Just ONE big blitz and you will have it done. I am not kidding.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I do need to do this as well. And as Spring is coming up, I just need organization in general. :)

    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The singing at our home has been a little off key lately, but it can only get better, right?
    Isn't it amazing how distracted we can get with "good things"? ahhh, to maintain focus, what bliss. Oh, and just in the midst of this comment my 2 year old has interrupted me 2 times! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Starting what we finish! Yup, I've been there.... I know there are a few things around my house that need to be finished!

    This is such a great meme!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh I have way too many things that I have started and not finished!! This is a good reminder! I think the key is to just tackle one at a time and not be overwhelmed by the thought of how much there is to do.

    ReplyDelete

So glad you stopped by today! Please feel free to subscribe to my blog and/or follow me on facebook. The links are at the bottom of each post.

Thank you for leaving a comment. I love hearing from you! Please keep it nice and sweet and family friendly so I don't have to delete!

Please don't leave a link to your blog (or anyone else's) in your comment. Due to google's new comment spam policy, any comments with links will have to be deleted to protect both you and me!