Sunday, February 28, 2010

MAKING YOUR HOME SING: WHO DOES YOUR HOME REFLECT?

Making your home sing Mondays

Welcome to the Making Your Home Sing Monday meme! Every day you are doing something to make your house into a home for yourself and your family (if you have one). My point with each Monday post is, what are you doing or going to do today to make your home sing?

It can be an attitude or an action. Motivation, our attitude, baking, encouraging our husband or children (if we have either one), organization, cleaning, saving money....the opportunities are endless.

Some people love to decorate their homes. They love to paint, remodel, and change things up. Then there are people who live in their homes for years only making the smallest of changes, if they make any at all. People who don't fix up their homes until it's time to sell them.

When my husband and I moved into our previous home the master bedroom was painted an extremely bright yellow. I never liked that color for a bedroom and neither did he. However, we lived in that home for many years and never repainted that room, until we decided to sell the house.

I have had several friends tell me the same thing. "Why didn't we fix up the house while we were living in it? Why did we wait so long to paint, remodel, empty the garage?....etc. We fixed up the house so nice and then we sold it. Why didn't we make the changes while we were living there?"

Can anybody relate?

My husband and I have a few things we want to do this spring or summer. Painting will be involved. There may even be a slight remodeling project in the bathroom or bathrooms. There is even talk of painting or staining the kitchen cabinets. Nothing expensive anywhere. Just a little paint here and there. Maybe a new floor in the bathroom(s), maybe not. Probably not!

It has always been hard for me to "commit" to a color. I often have a hard time picking just one color I like. Repainting the family room took forever because I couldn't narrow down the color palette.

We've been talking about repainting the bathrooms for years, but I can't seem to decide on the colors. I know I want beadboard in my house but I can't decide where I want it. The entry hall? Bathroom? Kitchen? Dining room?

Moving makes you make a decision. But what if you're not planning on moving?

I want my home to reflect the people who live here. Not the people who lived here before us. We have some outdated wallpaper on some of the walls and people, it's time to make some changes. It's starting to peel and that's not pretty. The stair railing and banister needs painting as well.

I have a love/hate relationship with antiques which I will spare you a post on. At least for now :0). Some antiques I tend to view as another person's taste and another person's budget that you are now displaying in your home. They reflect the other person's tastes but not yours.

When we first married we were blessed to be given furniture, drapes, pictures and knicknacks that once belonged to our parents and grandparents. We still have some of those things today. However, as a young wife I often felt like I was living in someone else's home. Where was the "me" in my home?

I probably sound ungrateful and in some ways I was. I was thankful for the items we were given, but also had a desire to have some furnishings and accessories that we picked out to suit our tastes, you know? A few furnishings can be picked up on sale or yard sales for cheap. Plus, there's a strong heartstrings "pull" that you get from things that belonged to your parents or grandparents and it can be hard to part with those things, even if they don't suit you.

This is turning into a rather long post, but my point is that we have plans to put the "me" into our homes this summer. We have lived for many years with the tastes of the former owners on the walls. A little paint is cheap.

Are you making your current home into a home? Or are you waiting for your next home or your "dream" home? Beauty can be found in small things like a roaring fire, the soft lighting of candlelight, the scent of a small bouquet of flowers, as well as in the bigger things like paint or stained cabinets. Don't wait till you move to put "you" into your home! Make it sing today!

What are you doing or going to do today to make your home sing? Please go here for instructions and/or ideas and come back here to link up to join us today! Please do not put your own Making Your Home Sing Monday Linky on your blog. As always, please don't forget to link to this post. Also, please don't forgot to leave me a comment!

15 comments:

  1. I think our first home I had that issue of being indecisive about colors, but being a military wife has "trained me in" and I usually have the entire house painted in the first TWO months of moving in! Sounds crazy, but it works. So far, we've lived here over 8 years and some of the rooms have been painted 3! times. YIKES. OCD. Anyway, it's probably good to be cautious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this post Nan! It makes me feel good to know that I and my husband put ourselves into our home as we live in it. We are constantly updating and changing and improving different areas. We just recently finished off our basement and it went from being a dungeon to a beautiful place to hang out with friends and family. I love it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nan,

    Oh we've always put our personalities into doing our homes and making them a part of who we are at that moment.

    We even painted our apartment rooms even though we knew they would frown on it but you know what, we live there and we want something that reflects who we are and how we feel when we come home.

    It makes it easier to pay the mortgage when you love coming home to the comfort of your home. Break out the paint!

    Love and Hugs ~ Kat

    ReplyDelete
  4. I completely hear you on this one. We have moved a lot and usually don't do a whole lot for fear we are wasting money. The house we are in now we decided to paint and make it are own...we have never regretted it. It is the house that we have been in the longest too. Go figure. Have fun making it you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We did it all when we moved in but not exactly how we wanted it so we are slowly putting the me in our house now. Our bedroom is bright yellow:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is my first time to be a part of this. This is such a great idea and a great motivator! Hopefully my home reflects the Lord, for that is my goal. But sometimes the clutter gets in the way. OOPS! Must work on that. Working on some painting right now, getting ready for baby, and all that jazz.

    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We were just having this conversation. My dad is moving up here and spent a lot of time and effort fixing up his house in the past six months, after being unable to find the time in the previous 21 years he lived there. I think that is so sad. I'm one of those who works hard to make wherever I live feel like "home"...yes, I was one who painted our apartments, too. Like Organizing Mommy, all of my house was painted pretty darned quickly and much of it has already been repainted. The thing about paint? It is no big deal...take a chance. The worst that will happen? You'll become experienced with a roller! The best thing? You'll live in a home that makes you smile when walk through the doors! Go for it.

    P.S. As for the hand-me-down-as-a-young-couple thing? I got tired of feeling like the poor relation and started gently declining when a gift didn't suit us. Yes, I think they thought I wasn't grateful, but I still stopped taking everything that was offered. It was difficult at first, but it helped us in the long wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have such a good point here. When we moved from Alabama to Florida, we worked really hard at getting our house fixed up to sell. At one point I told my husband, "Promise our next home will be really nice because I can't stand the thought of doing all this work for someone else to live in!"

    In our new house we worked hard at getting it to reflect us. We're still working on it, but we're enjoying seeing some of our own tastes in our surroundings.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great Post! It seems I always wait until I'm moving to fix things up. Well, not after reading this post. I'm going to enjoy my home NOW! Thanks Nan:-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Up until our house fire, our house was decorated via the "early attic" style ;-] I worked hard at combining all of it and putting my own mark on our home via the way I placed/combined things.

    I like using items in ways other than what they were designed to be used as. A neat old dresser made a great buffet in the dining room. Wooden crates worked wonderously as end tables, and had many bonus points. Your Pepsi glass never left a ring. They made great book cases. Little boys could drive cars and trucks on them without scratching anything. Etc.

    Nan, get creative with what you already have. It saves money. But more importantly, it adds your own personal touch to your home.

    As far as picking colors go. Go to a library that has a good selection of house/home style magazines. Or go to a bookstore and look through decorating books. Take note. In the pictures, what colors are you continually drawn to. Maybe you don't like what they did with the room itself, but you like the colors they used. After awhile, it will become apparent to you what colors should be on your basic personalized palette.

    There are many easy ways to combine colors in a room. Paint the walls one color, and if you already have painted over woodwork/trim, paint the woodwork/trim a slightly contrasting color. Or, just stick with the whole room all one color - it really does NOT matter!

    Do NOT try to figure out what colors are "in" right now. DOES NOT MATTER!!!! What matters is what colors draw you. After all, it is YOUR home.

    As far as bead board, why only use it in one area if you like it that much? We have bead board look oak paneling on our bathroom from the floor half way up, and I love it!!!! But I also have it on the bottom half of the kitchen walls that don't have cupboards in front of them.

    Once you decide that you ARE going to personalize your home this spring, and you take the initial steps in actually doing so, you'll be going hog wild in your efforts :->

    I wish you well my firend ;-]

    Cheryl B. - http://thebzhousethatlovebuilt.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can relate to feeling like your living in someone else's house. My husband moves from place to place with his job, usually every 12-18 months, and lives in a corporate apartment while he is working at a particular site. I've had the opportunity in the last few years to travel with him, and I was surprised at first at how much I missed my stuff. Having lived in four different apartments, furnished completely differently each time, we've learned to try to make the most of it, which does sometimes mean buying some things according to our own taste, even if it's at Goodwill or the dollar store.

    Good luck on making your home sing to your tune!

    ReplyDelete
  12. There is Something for you on my blog.. enjoy..

    ReplyDelete
  13. I sooo understand what you're saying! I have been living with a 70's kitchen for a couple of years now & I do NOT like it. I think the former owners may have been the Bradys. (Too bad they didn't leave Alice around to help with the housework.) Anyway...I have wanted to do something with the cabinets, but have waited. Hubby says someday we'll just replace them. I think I'm tired of waiting for someday, so I'll paint them this spring. Now, white, beige, or what I really deep down want....red? Choices, choices.

    ReplyDelete
  14. LOL! It is funny you say this. Being a military wife and knowing you will most likely move within a few years, it is easy to get entrapped into the mindset of not setting your house into a home. Although we haven't gone as far as painting the base housing walls which we can, I've tried to put up decorations, curtains, etc to make it more like home. :D

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello Nan,

    It was so sweet of you to stop over and say hello.

    I also take a long time to make color decisions on anything that I am going to be living with for a long time. I don't like choosing window treatments because they are expensive and I am not even sure what I want. Ha! Ha!

    I am sure you will enjoy the changes you make...paint is always an easy way to change a room without spending too much money.

    Happy Saturday!
    ♥Hope

    ReplyDelete

So glad you stopped by today! Please feel free to subscribe to my blog and/or follow me on facebook. The links are at the bottom of each post.

Thank you for leaving a comment. I love hearing from you! Please keep it nice and sweet and family friendly so I don't have to delete!

Please don't leave a link to your blog (or anyone else's) in your comment. Due to google's new comment spam policy, any comments with links will have to be deleted to protect both you and me!