Sunday, February 7, 2010

MAKING YOUR HOME SING: TAKE CHARGE!

Making your home sing Mondays

Welcome to the Making Your Home Sing Monday meme! Every day you are doing something to make your house into a home for yourself and your family (if you have one). My point with each Monday post is, what are you doing or going to do today to make your home sing?

It can be an attitude or an action. Motivation, our attitude, baking, encouraging our husband or children (if we have either one), organization, cleaning, saving money....the opportunities are endless.

Do you ever find your desires at war with your other desires? For instance, I love the idea of decorating and bringing beauty into my home. But my frugal nature wars with my aesthetic nature. Sure I can decorate frugally, but sometimes it's a compromise between what I want, and what I feel we can/should afford.

I desire a beautiful, immaculate, always neat home. But I also want my family to feel comfortable in it. I desire my home to be neat and organized, but then I also want to read blogs or books, or do something other than clean all the time.

I desire awesome meals made from scratch, but I also desire more time to do other things instead. I want to lose twenty pounds, but I want to be able to eat the food and treats that I like.

I desire consistency and a schedule but also want to be spur of the moment. What a bundle of contradictions we can be!

What if we have great plans and ideas for our home and family but never implement any of them? What if we give attention to the high maintenance children all of the time, and neglect the well behaved ones?

What if we only do the chores screaming for attention, and neglect the quieter, less in-your-face chores? Will we get anything done if we don't aim for anything?

Finding a balance between work and play is not always easy, but it is necessary. Sometimes it is so easy to give attention to the "squeaky wheel" and let other things go. But when you do that, you often find yourself just doing little but putting out one fire after another. You aren't managing your home, your home is managing you. It's tyranny of the urgent.

Without a plan, without a schedule, without organization or discipline, the days can just slip by us. Our priorities may be set by our circumstances, instead of by what's really important. When we sit down and prayerfully make a plan, we are asking God to set our priorities for us.

It is your home. Make a difference in it today. Sit down with the Lord and ask Him to order your day. Make a plan, take charge of your day, don't let it take charge of you. That's how I plan on making my home sing this week!

What are you doing or going to do today to make your home sing? Please go here for instructions and/or ideas and come back here to link up to join us today! Please do not put your own Making Your Home Sing Monday Linky on your blog. As always, please don't forget to link to this post. Also, please don't forgot to leave me a comment!

18 comments:

  1. I was just telling my BF and DH...I feel like I'm in an episode of groundhog "week" and it just goes over and over. I planned my whole life to be a career woman but God had a different idea. I thrive on lists and schedules and project completions. As wife and mommy, project completions just don't happen. Well, they do. But by the time you're through your list they're here again because it's the next week or the next month. I want to walk through my house and eyes not dart from side to side and think..."I need to do..." I can't imagine a home without schedule and discipline. My prayer for God is to show me this is my job for Him. That all the stuff on my list is His way for me to serve my family.

    Good post. I love how us mommies and wives can sometimes speak each other's thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My word for the year is BALANCE....I'm trying to restore balance to my life. Hubby and I began a new chapter in our lives last Fall as empty-nesters.

    I have to make sure that I spend time with him and not allow outside activities - even if they are church activities - to take away that time we need together. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've said it well.. getting balance is very tough.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Balance...something most of us seem to struggle with..at least from time to time.
    I am always blessed when I come by here. THANK YOU!
    Blessings, andrea

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I'm out of balance, my family suffers. I was reminded of that when Superman left and our lives were chaotic for two weeks while I regained my equilibrium. Great post, Nan.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so excited to participate in your Meme. I actually have something to say and can share about my VICTORY!

    Love!
    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was just thinking about this last night. I really need to make a detailed list of things and mark WHEN I'll do them on the calendar and stick to it.
    Thanks for the motivation.
    Hugs
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great post Nan, thank you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is something that has always been a struggle for me. Thank the Lord, that lately, our house looks much nicer for the most part. I believe the credit goes to God for working on ME, and also to my husband who makes the kiddos help out.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nan, I know that this posting was in no way meant as comical, but it really made me chuckle!! Why? Due to having Vertigo for several weeks now, I am scheduled at a clinic tomarrow where their goal is to disphier if I am "well balanced". Yea right. chuckle, chuckle.

    But you are very right about life being very full of choices and decisions. And our human nature often fights itself in those decisions.

    Schedules can be made - but then life happens. For many of us on a all to frequent basis.

    But we must strive on. Thanks for the encouragement to do so.

    http://thebzhousethatlovebuilt.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is great advice Nan! Sometimes lists and schedules can feel like a trap but when you sit down and ask the Lord to lead you in that list and schedule, it feels more like a light at the end of the tunnel. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Howdy Nan. I have an award for you over at my place. :O)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great post, Nan!!! I, too need to take charge and prioritize.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I can so relate! I need to have God at my home's helm and be organized as He is!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have been running to and fro and could so use some balance. Great post. Maybe I will take charge today to find that balance...for tomorrow...since today is over and I ran like a chicken with my head cut off:) lOL

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you, Nan, for your ministry in hosting "Making Your Home Sing" each week.
    May God bless you for the people you touch and the blessings you bring to us.

    Grandmother Wren

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have been in this contradiction ALL WEEK! The "non list" side is WINNING I hate to say. = ) Snow has a way of causing one to hybernate. I have not asked Jesus to order my day...why is that? When I know He will give me just what I need.

    So good to find you!

    ReplyDelete

So glad you stopped by today! Please feel free to subscribe to my blog and/or follow me on facebook. The links are at the bottom of each post.

Thank you for leaving a comment. I love hearing from you! Please keep it nice and sweet and family friendly so I don't have to delete!

Please don't leave a link to your blog (or anyone else's) in your comment. Due to google's new comment spam policy, any comments with links will have to be deleted to protect both you and me!