Sunday, February 14, 2010

MAKING YOUR HOME SING: ON "THOSE" DAYS

Making your home sing Mondays

Welcome to the Making Your Home Sing Monday meme! Every day you are doing something to make your house into a home for yourself and your family (if you have one). My point with each Monday post is, what are you doing or going to do today to make your home sing?

It can be an attitude or an action. Motivation, our attitude, baking, encouraging our husband or children (if we have either one), organization, cleaning, saving money....the opportunities are endless.

Every week I sit here and prayerfully think, What can I do this week to make my home sing? What is one thing I could do to make this week go better for my family and myself?

Nearly every week, I pretty much stare at the computer and come up blank. Every week I keep hoping that I'll be able to come up with that one thing that will magically fix everything forever. Hoping that maybe I'll get that one thing down and never have to work on it ever again.

Wouldn't that be lovely? Of course, once I attained that perfection, then what would I do? At least I have lots of areas that can be improved upon and lots to keep me busy.....lol!

People change, needs change, circumstances change. The best thing to do is to learn to be flexible.

You ever have a day where everything just seems to be going along "normally" and then something happens and suddenly, your whole day has totally been thrown for a loop? It can be something small or something big.

How often do we forget that we can bend? How often do we forget that we don't have to have everything "perfect?" How often do we forget that we can be flexible? We can change our game plan.

The other day I had a meeting to go to and at the last minute I came up with the "brilliant" idea of baking banana bread. Seriously, who sits there and thinks "Well, I am already stressed enough, so why don't I add to that stress by taking on the job of making banana bread? That way, I will just add one more thing to all the things that need to be done before I leave the house."

Who thinks that way? Me!!!! No problem, I thought. I figured I would just pop it in the oven and let one of my children take it out for me, since I would be gone.

When I removed the flour container from the pantry, I accidentally knocked a container of several pounds of pasta shells onto the floor. You guessed it.....the impact made the lid come off and I had pasta all over the kitchen floor.

For a minute I just stared at the floor in disbelief. I was just to busy to have this happen to me that day. Not only that, the dogs were having a field day with it! I couldn't leave it on the floor, and there was noone there but me to clean it up, so clean it up I did.

The egg shell broke and I had to fish it out of the mixing bowl. There wasn't enough flour in the container so I had to go to where we store the big bag and refill the smaller container. I got a couple of phone calls and my mom needed something. You get the picture.

So I rushed around making the banana bread, rushed out the door and found myself annoyed with the people driving slowly in front of me. It was also annoying because I knew that if I had managed my time better I wouldn't have been in such a hurry in the first place! I had no one to blame but me.

Then, I made it to my meeting a minute early!!! and found out that I had the date wrong. I was early alright. A week early. I had looked at the calendar wrong and had now wasted an hour of my day for nothing, or so it seemed.

You know, our lives are not always going to run smoothly. Our homes are not always going to function as we'd hoped. Husbands are going to forget to call and say that they'll be late for dinner, children are going to forget that they need 10,000 cupcakes by tomorrow, dishwashers or washing machines are going to fail right when we have company coming over and a ton of dishes or clothes to do.

Let's not forget that we can bend and we won't break! We can just accept the unacceptable and know that the Lord is in it. We can just trust that He can use the unexpected, because it isn't unexpected to Him. This week I am choosing to bend instead of rigidly trying to control my circumstances, and leave the control up to Him!

What are you doing or going to do today to make your home sing? Please go here for instructions and/or ideas and come back here to link up to join us today! Please do not put your own Making Your Home Sing Monday Linky on your blog. As always, please don't forget to link to this post. Also, please don't forgot to leave me a comment!

23 comments:

  1. You know how people have bad dreams about public speaking or missing appts? I have waking visions of showing up at the campground, the doctor's appt, or some kid function on the wrong day...to the point where I worry while I'm driving to my destination if I'm going to discover I royally messed up! Aren't you glad you're not the only one?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have those days many a time, but I realized it's those days where I set myself up for failure. I am a naturally laid back person as it is, so I will bend and not get flustered. It's those days where "I'm going to get this and this acccomplished" where I find myself stressing out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, I know what "those days" are like! I am a rigid scheduler and love routine, so it often is hard for me to bend when things get out of order. I'm working on it, though; thanks for the encouragement!

    ReplyDelete
  4. After raising five kids/teenagers, I am living proof one can bend and not break. It was a long road and there were days where I considered leaping off a tall building, but now I cherish "most" of those memories. They don't seem near as difficult looking back...lol!
    Hugs, andrea

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Nan! That's one of the toughest things for me to do. And I should know better by now with three boys. There is always a diaper to change or mess to clean up right before I go out the door.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love ME SOME BANANA BREAD!!! YUM. Try it with Chocolate chips...so delish!!! ;)

    Make that home sing girl....and smell like Banana bread!

    Pss...I hear you on the bad days...girl, it will get better!

    ReplyDelete
  7. If things went according to plan around this house, I'd start checking everyone for a fever! I'm not sure I would know how to handle it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh what a day! I tend to add on the pressure myself - silly. Such a good reminder though - what is unexpected for us is completely expected to God so we need to just go with it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I get days mixed up too. Thankfully for an earlier date for fear of missing the appointment.
    But isn´t it horrible when it all happens at once. My tendancy is to beat myself up. this is a great reminder to not make ourselves feel horribly just to pick back up and be flexible.

    I think this is one of the biggest lessons I have had to learn on the mission field. Flexibility.

    Dani Joy

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can so relate to your whole post. The spills the appointment dates gone wrong the rush, the "rigidity". Wish it was all a foreign language:)
    Thanks for the encouragement.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Did you peek over my shoulder while I was writing the other day? LOL!
    Like everyone else, I too can relate to these kind of days!

    Thanks for the encouragement.
    Hugs
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can SO relate! I do that to myself all the time. So glad I am home today and can once again participate in my favorite meme.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Blessed are the flexible for they shall not be bent out of shape. :-) Love this saying and still working on applying it to my life.

    ReplyDelete
  14. h what a great reminder! It's so easy to get bent out of shape when everything goes wrong. But it's so important to remember that ultimately God is in control. Thank you for that great reminder!

    Oh and I finally got to join in again. Maybe things will slow down. A girl can hope, right?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ugh...that sounds familiar! ;) I hate when I'm running on time and then blow it by doing something...like stopping to get a LARGE Diet Coke on the way,and the drive-thru's slow...and I always get behind slow drivers too! haha! I get so worked up and then I'm all flustered by the time I get where I need to be! Thanks for reminding us to give up some of that and let God take control...breathe and relax and take things in stride! Happy Monday! We are snowed in again! Guess I don't need to be anywhere today!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for the reminder on the blah Monday! I am so glad that God is in control! Have a great Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Nan,

    I completely see myself in this post! This is so like me I found myself laughing through most of it and rolling my eyes.

    Here is to planning ahead and at least you were early to the meeting right? That was the good thing. How did the bread turn out?

    Be sure to stop by my blog today and sign up for my giveaway!

    Love and Hugs ~ Kat

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for a great post, I am so glad I stumbled onto Making Your Home Sing, and I really enjoyed being part of it today.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I think everytime I visit, you are dropping something in the floor! I know you were glad to be early...just maybe not that early. That is frustrating too but life goes on.

    ReplyDelete
  20. OH, how true! Totally something I would do - add something else to my busy plate.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I don't know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.

    Lucy

    http://cellularaccessoriess.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. Yummm...banana bread sounds good!

    whew! I am soooo looking forward to these few days off from work (I really have to get a little order around our house...my piles of this and that to put away has been growing!)

    Blessings & Aloha!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Nan,

    I'm so confused! thank you for your comment on my blog and sharing about your meme, but I still haven't figured out to do it. = ) When I get it figured out I will DEFINITELY submit! = )

    Thanks for visiting! I love your blog!
    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete

So glad you stopped by today! Please feel free to subscribe to my blog and/or follow me on facebook. The links are at the bottom of each post.

Thank you for leaving a comment. I love hearing from you! Please keep it nice and sweet and family friendly so I don't have to delete!

Please don't leave a link to your blog (or anyone else's) in your comment. Due to google's new comment spam policy, any comments with links will have to be deleted to protect both you and me!