Sunday, January 24, 2010

MAKING YOUR HOME SING: EVEN WHEN YOU FAIL

Making your home sing Mondays

Welcome to the Making Your Home Sing Monday meme! Every day you are doing something to make your house into a home for yourself and your family (if you have one). My point with each Monday post is, what are you doing or going to do today to make your home sing?

It can be an attitude or an action. Motivation, our attitude, baking, encouraging our husband or children (if we have either one), organization, cleaning, saving money....the opportunities are endless.

I am sorely lacking in discipline this week. Do you know that I actually overslept and missed church this morning? The alarm went off and I guess I thought it was Saturday, and I ignored it and rolled over and went back to sleep.

I came in really late, and I mean really late as my husband was already done preaching and they were singing the last few songs. Let me tell you, it's real hard for the pastor's wife to sneak in late, lol! Especially since I told everyone that I overslept when they came up and asked "Where were you?" Most of them thought I was sick or serving in the nursery.

Can you poke fun at yourself? Can you laugh when you mess up? Do you take everything so seriously that it stresses you out and greatly upsets you when you realize you don't have it "together" as much as you hoped you did?

You know, sometimes you and I are just going to mess up. Sometimes we are going to forget to make a phone call, or forget to show up for something.

Sometimes we are going to spend waaaay to much time visiting people's blogs on the computer, or leaving comments, and suddenly it's dinnertime and the laundry still needs doing, and we realize we were on the computer to much that day.

Sometimes we are going to say something we regret, or repeat something that we shouldn't have. Sometimes we are going to eat a cupcake that we should have left alone. Sometime we are going to have a "mad" face or say a cross word to our children that we wished we could take back.

Sometimes we just need to stop and laugh at ourselves when we make a mistake. Sometimes we need to stop and take a breath, and admit the times that we were wrong. Sometimes we need to stop and ask people for forgiveness when we know we need to.

Sometimes we need to stop things before they start. Sometimes we need to set a timer, so that we don't get distracted by the t.v. or the computer. We need to schedule our quiet time with the Lord into our day, so that our day is built around it, instead of trying to squeeze it into our already full day.

Sometimes we have to bow to the absurd. Really crazy things are going to happen sometimes. They just are. And you can choose to laugh or you can choose to cry.

Many times we can be overly hard on ourselves because we didn't live up to our own expectations. Maybe we had big plans for our day, or our week, and we wound up giving in to our weaker nature and didn't have the discipline to do what we wanted to do, or avoid what we wanted to avoid.

God's plan for us includes out abilities and disabilities. He always knows what we are capable of doing or handling. We can trust Him in every situation that comes up, because He is faithful.

So this week, I can make my home sing by accepting that I'm not perfect, and that I need the Lord to help me work on the many areas that I'd like to see improvement in (starting with the discipline to go to bed and to get up on time, lol!)

Or, I can just say I am a failure and that I can't do it, and I can just give up and never try to be any different than I am now. Children would never learn to walk if they gave up every time they fell.

I choose to believe that I can be different. I choose to believe that there are times that I should maybe laugh at my weaknesses and failures, instead of beating myself up over them.

I choose to believe that I need to pick myself up and start moving again instead of being overtaken by my failures. I choose to believe that the Lord is stronger than my weakness. What are you choosing to believe today?

What are you doing or going to do today to make your home sing? Please go here for instructions and/or ideas and come back here to link up to join us today! Please do not put your own Making Your Home Sing Monday Linky on your blog. As always, please don't forget to link to this post. Also, please don't forgot to leave me a comment!

25 comments:

  1. LOL, Nan! We were two peas in a pod today! But, I did miss church this morning because I slept through my alarm! My husband said people were askig if I was okay! LOL. But, I did go to the evening service though!

    I loved this post!!! So true..so very true!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank-u for sharing this.I really needed this today.You are such a blessing! Hope you have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh girl! YOu are right. I think I would beat myself up over that one especially if I got it from my hubby. *blush* then maybe we could laugh at it.

    I need to remember to laugh at myself sometimes. Thanks.

    But not give up.

    Big hugs from another PW.
    Dani JOy

    ReplyDelete
  4. if I beat myself up over every failure I endure, I'd be a constant shade of black & blue & purple!! We have to forgive ourselves just as we would forgive a friend or our child.

    My question is..why didn't hubby wake you up??

    ReplyDelete
  5. if I beat myself up over every failure I endure, I'd be a constant shade of black & blue & purple!! We have to forgive ourselves just as we would forgive a friend or our child.

    My question is..why didn't hubby wake you up??

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for the post, all of it is so true! I could definately learn to laugh at myself more. What a great way to make your home sing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Are you seriously asking ME if I can laugh at myself? LOL! I'm pretty sure you know the answer to that my friend.
    Don't worry, I woke up Saturday thinking it was Sunday and got up early for no reason! LOL. Now THAT's bad.
    HUGS
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amen! Great post and glad to know that I don't have to be perfect! (I've tried and failed miserably!) Have a blessed week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't do any of those things - what ARE you talking about??? HA HA Wow, way to hit close to home for me!! The pastor's wife late for church - you really do make me laugh and love you even more every time I'm here! I definitely know what it's like to be imPerfect!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love it!! It is so easy to get uptight over our errors, and there will be errors! Love this attitude filled with joy and grace. Great way to start the week!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I so needed to read this this morning. I missed a really important appointment by a whole day last week and this really helped me to focus not on the bad of that, but to help me laugh at myself. Thanks!! You are a blessing to me.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have messed up more times in my life than I can count. I praise GOD b/c HE always picks me up..dusts me off and sets me back on course. I am continually amazed by HIS mercy, love, and grace!
    andrea

    ReplyDelete
  13. Loved this.... thank God for his new mercy every morning :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's great to laugh at yourself! What a great idea. My husband rolls everybody out of bed on Sundays, or we'd do the same!

    ReplyDelete
  15. the saying goes, "Laughter is the best medicine". I'm not sure I entirely agree. I think that chocolate out ranks laughter in the mediciple field (o;-p). But I do know that laughter IS mighty strong stuff! And that way too often we have a choice - laugh - or - cry. I strive really hard to always pick laughing. 90% of the time I am successful. The other 10% - well ... anyways.

    Cheryl B. - http://thebzhousethatlovebuilt.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. I very good lesson to try and learn. Something I desperately need to work on. Think if we laughed more about when we are not so perfect...there would be a lot more laugher in the world, and that is something we all could use.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wonderful!
    Sometimes I feel like that might be a service that I provide to my friends -
    they can look at how messed up my day is and pat themselves on the back because they're doing just a bit better! LOL

    Thank you for reminding us not to strive for perfection -
    we're human, after all.

    Grandmother Wren

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh dear friend, I enjoyed this!!! Thank you for sharing and even more for bringing a word of encouragement in the midst. I needed it. Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  19. me too Nan. We always have tomorrow...unless we don't, then we can't pick ourselves back up and start over. But assuming we do have tomorrow, then we can always start afresh. This is going to be a great week for new beginnings!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I loved this post.

    Being able to laugh at myself is how I survive on a daily basis.

    ReplyDelete
  21. You overslept? That is funny! I would have laughed at you and with you! This was a great post Nan! Accepting that we are not perfect but recognizing that we can change as God empowers us. That is good! :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. You caught me Nan! Thank you for the sweet comment-I am actually working on a new blog but I am still in the design phase of it and everytime I go to "design" I hear "Mommy I am goin potty on the potty" or "Mommy I poopied in my diaper" (yes there is potty training going on but I gave up trying to teach it months ago and she is doing it totally on her own...and I think its working out better that way-lol). But you gave me that little boot in the rear I need to finish-right after I finish reading the Pioneer Women's love story-yes i just found her blog and her love story has captivated me. Sorry for not being around but I will get there-God gave me a hiney kick last week to get it going-I better listen!!! Thank you again and have a Blessed evening-can't wait for the next funny post from you!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thank you for this because sometimes I just take things way to serious if I mess up. I do need to just take it with a grain of salt and move on...try to do better next time.
    Hope you are feeling all better now!
    I too visit the bathroom over and over again:) LOL

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi Nan!
    I am so glad I stopped today by ur blog...I needed to hear something POSITIVE to pick me up...♥
    your words have bless me today Thanks!Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ
    {{{HUGS}}}

    ReplyDelete
  25. I'll have to enter this link party next week! I didn't know about it until today. Sounds fun.
    Did you figure out what to cook for dinner??

    Danielle

    ReplyDelete

So glad you stopped by today! Please feel free to subscribe to my blog and/or follow me on facebook. The links are at the bottom of each post.

Thank you for leaving a comment. I love hearing from you! Please keep it nice and sweet and family friendly so I don't have to delete!

Please don't leave a link to your blog (or anyone else's) in your comment. Due to google's new comment spam policy, any comments with links will have to be deleted to protect both you and me!