Monday, December 28, 2009

MAKING YOUR HOME SING IN THIS NEW YEAR

Making your home sing Mondays

Welcome to the Making Your Home Sing Monday meme! Every day you are doing something to make your house into a home for yourself and your family (if you have one). My point with each Monday post is, what are you doing or going to do today to make your home sing?

It can be an attitude or an action. Motivation, our attitude, baking, encouraging our husband or children (if we have either one), organization, cleaning, saving money....the opportunities are endless.

I hope y'all had a blessed Christmas! We had relatives here so I have to admit I didn't get on the computer much.

This week is a good week for thinking about next year. It's a brand new year. Think of what you can do with it!

You can begin to learn a new language. You can begin the process of getting out of debt. You can add a new family member! You can take up a new hobby, go back to school, or finally begin to write that novel you're always talking about.

Instead of looking at this last year and thinking about all the stuff you didn't do that you thought you would, begin to think about what you will do in this new year!

Where do you see yourself a year from now? Are there goals you want to reach, debts you'd like to pay off, a vacation you'd like to go on?

If you have a debt you'd like to pay off or a vacation you'd like to take, break it down into monthly goals. How much do you want to pay off or save? Let's say you need to pay off $2500.00. That breaks down to $208.00 a month for twelve months. This lets you know how much you need to save and breaks it down into a more manageable goal.

If you don't even know what your goal is, how will you reach it? Imagine yourself at this time next year. Will you have wished that you'd saved a bit more money? Will you wish that you had written that letter, made that phone call, mended that relationship?

We let weeks, months and years slip by because we think that there is always time. We will always have the time to do those things that we keep wanting to do. We will always have the time to make that trip out to see the folks or the grandparents. We will always have the time to have that third baby or start that new career or heal that relationship.

But sometimes, things slip away because we didn't get around to it. At some point, we have to ask ourselves how serious we are about our wishes. If we really want to do something, we need to move from wishing to make it a goal. Wishing never gets us anywhere if we don't move it from a thought to an action.

If we are unwilling to take the steps in order to reach a goal, then is it really a goal? If we want to get out of debt but aren't willing to cut down on our spending in order to do it, how serious are we? If we want to lose that last five pounds but aren't willing to exercise or adjust our eating habits, is it really that important to us?

This next year we need to continue to work on saving money for a family vacation and we also have some upcoming home repairs we need to be saving for. I want to get serious about the budget and do better about making things from scratch, etc. I want to continue to learn ASL. I also have things that I am praying the Lord will work on in my walk with Him. So keeping the new year in mind is how I will make my home sing this week.

So I encourage you to spend some time this week thinking about this upcoming year. Think about your expectations, your goals, things you'd like to teach your children, and what you'd like to do in this new year. Then prayerfully submit it before the Lord.

Remember, the things we spend our money on, the things we spend our time doing, that is what we are investing in. Are you investing your time and money on the things that are important to you? Is it helping you or hindering you in your goals?

BTW, I am doing a guest post here for Heather at "Want What You Have." Have you checked out her blog yet? It's awesome! I'm talking about chore training for young children. I hope you'll pop over there today and check it out!

What are you doing or going to do today to make your home sing? Please go here for instructions and/or ideas and come back here to link up to join us today! Please do not put your own Making Your Home Sing Monday Linky on your blog. As always, please don't forget to link to this post. Also, please don't forgot to leave me a comment!

15 comments:

  1. My husband and I were just talking about how much can happen in a year. We would love to be able to sell our house and be debt free.
    That's our biggest goal for the next year.
    Lots of little but important goals as well.
    I guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens. But knowing that God is in control of EVERYTHING sets me at ease.
    Blessings and hugs to you my friend.
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've got several posts planned this week to talk about goals for 2010! We always have a "wish list" of things to do, but there are some pressing things we will take care of and looking ahead is exciting!!! Putting my goals and plans into God's hands is the key to success and peace, that's for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WE are working on our debt...we will be getting a new roof the first of January and working on the house to get it ready to sell. *fingers crossed*
    would love to paint the inside too...but...I am so unmotivated in that area. Ugh. Would rather pay some one. But that wouldn't help the debt now would it?
    Hugs,
    Mimi

    ReplyDelete
  4. One thing that keeps ringing in my mind for the new year is "Don't put off for tomorrow what you can do today." I've spent too many years doing this and it really is VERY detrimental to any kind of change you want to make in your life. But we always think there is more time and eventually those things get put off and tomorrows become months and years...etc.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post! Very convicting!

    Blessings, hugs, and prayers, andrea

    ReplyDelete
  6. For some reason I just love this time of year, where we ring in the new year and just the thought of turning a page in our book called life. You gave us some great things to think on...thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is exactly what I have been thinking about lately. I am making some changes that I think will help. Thanks for always encouraging us to do better. I hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for giving us a lot of things to think about. I just love New Years! I'm gonna join you one Monday on a Making Your Home Sing post, I just love them!
    ---off to the other site :-)----

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just want my health back in 2010. It really makes you thankful when you have it and realize how much life changes when you aren't your best!

    Love and Hugs ~ Kat

    ReplyDelete
  10. Come Jan 1st I'll be doing wheelies on my hampster wheel. For now...I'm eating and eating, watching great movies, reading great books and having quiet time with God. He hasn't cracked the whip yet, so I'm hanging out quite lazily by His river of grace.

    Happy New Year my sweetest new friend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Honestly, I think that this is the best of all ways to make your home sing!! It is so important that we use the precious time that God has given us on this earth to accomplish as much as we can as you never know if you will have a tomorrow.

    This year, I am trying to focus on improving my relationships (all) and building an emergency fund. Along with this, I am trying to make better food choices for myself and my family to improve our health (and my weight).

    As I contemplate what the blessings in my life, I look at how to bolster those and enjoy my friends and family to the utmost. May you be blessed with accomplishing all of your goals in 2010!!

    Hugs,
    Katherine

    ReplyDelete
  12. We've been talking about this very subject. Our goal is to get another addition built on our house without going into debt. We're hoping it will be done in a year.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You always have such great tips. Thanks for sending my thoughts in the right direction today Nan!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you so much for sharing this! I have accomplished several goals this year, but I could have accomplished more if I set up mini goals for the big ones so it didn't seem so daunting.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ok, I know how to use a computer but some things still confuse me :) My wonderful hubby says I know enough to get in trouble lol.
    Anyway, I was wondering if you could tell me how to add meme to my blog. Thanks for your help

    Paula

    ReplyDelete

So glad you stopped by today! Please feel free to subscribe to my blog and/or follow me on facebook. The links are at the bottom of each post.

Thank you for leaving a comment. I love hearing from you! Please keep it nice and sweet and family friendly so I don't have to delete!

Please don't leave a link to your blog (or anyone else's) in your comment. Due to google's new comment spam policy, any comments with links will have to be deleted to protect both you and me!