Sunday, November 8, 2009

MAKING YOUR HOME SING: SING ABOUT GRACE

Making your home sing Mondays

Welcome to the Making Your Home Sing Monday meme! Every day you are doing something to make your house into a home for yourself and your family (if you have one). My point with each Monday post is, what are you doing or going to do today to make your home sing?

It can be an attitude or an action. Motivation, our attitude, baking, encouraging our husband or children (if we have either one), organization, cleaning, saving money....the opportunities are endless.

This Sunday my husband was preaching on God's grace. He was talking about how God's grace is a free gift, we can't earn it and we will forever be indebted to Him and yet not owe Him.

He quoted Col. 3:1-3. Verse 3 says "For you died, and your life is now hidden with Christ in God." (NIV). He asked the question, "What are you hidden in? In the t.v.? Computer? Alchohol? Drugs? What are you going after? What is the core of you going after?"

What AM I going after? What are YOU going after? If I say that the Lord is so very important to me, does my life reflect that? Do my values? My choices? Does my time?

It makes me think of priorities. What are my priorities, what are yours? Does your life reflect them in the proper order? Does mine? If I say that the Lord is my first priority, does blogging take first place over my quiet times with Him? Do my husband and children believe that they are high up on my priorities?

Later on, in talking about the gift of God's grace, my husband made the comment "Trying to repay God with your works is like trying to pay a great debt with a penny. It can't be done."

It got me to thinking how when the kids were little, we wanted them to obey us because they wanted to and not because they had to. We wanted them to do their chores because they wanted to please us, and not because they were forced to. We wanted them to respond out of love, not out of obligation. We still want that. We want a relationship, not works.

Isn't that what God wants of us? Relationship instead of works? Of course, when the relationship is there, the works (actions) will be there too. But they will come out of love, not out of a "have to" mentality, or "earn it" mentality. Also, they will come out of God's grace and strength, not our own.

How often do we exhaust ourselves by trying to complete a work that God started in us, using our own strength and power?

How often do we hold ourselves up to our own expectations, and then when we fail, we feel so bad and so guilty?

How often do we decide how we think we should be, and how we think we should act, and start on a "self improvement" plan to get us there? How often do we leave God out of the picture?

The best way I can make my home sing this week, or any week, is to stop trying to work out my own agenda. Stop trying to be how I think I should be, and trust God to make me into what He wants me to be. Stop operating under works and operate under grace instead.

We need to be in His Word consistently. If we don't stop and listen to Him, if we don't get into His word, if we don't spend time with Him, how will we know what He want for us?

What are you doing or going to do today to make your home sing? Please go here for instructions and/or ideas and come back here to link up to join us today! Please do not put your own Making Your Home Sing Monday Linky on your blog. As always, please don't forget to link to this post. Also, please don't forgot to leave me a comment!

16 comments:

  1. Terrific post...really thought provoking. Thank you for sharing it with us all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grace is a precious gift from God and this post is really great! I do let other things get in the way of God and it isn't right at all.
    Love Collette xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. So true my friend. So true!
    BIG HUGS!
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  4. Incredible post, Nan! Thank you for being His messenger today.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nan - such a GREAT post to start today! Fantastic thoughts - some to revel in, some to chew on. Thank you for sharing this with us!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A few years ago, GOD brought me to a place where I realized I could not do it on my own and it was NOT my job. It was HIS job to complete the work through me. There has been so much peace since that time. I guess you could say....the monkey is off my back. It is my job to obey, listen, and follow and GOD does the rest!
    Blessings and hugs, andrea

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree. Thanks for the HIGH BROW thought for the day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, good stuff. Our works are like filthy rags. My priority is always 'God' time first. God before chores, God before blogging and God before pizza...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the post today. Would do need to stop all the husle and busle and just spend time with God and his Grace.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are so right, there's nothing more important than spending time in God's Word. Thanks for the encouragement.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great post. I find myself in the midst of craziness finding out that I'm where God never intended me to be..
    I think sometimes people take my moments of thinking/praying about things as indecision, but I've learned over the years to take things before the Lord before i jump..

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow Nan! I absolutely loved this post! It is my favorite "making your home sing" post EVER!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great sermon your hubs shared & thanks for sharing this...so thankful for His grace.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you so much for sharing this! I was convicted just this weekend of spending too much time on the computer. I am trying to rectify that. :D

    ReplyDelete

So glad you stopped by today! Please feel free to subscribe to my blog and/or follow me on facebook. The links are at the bottom of each post.

Thank you for leaving a comment. I love hearing from you! Please keep it nice and sweet and family friendly so I don't have to delete!

Please don't leave a link to your blog (or anyone else's) in your comment. Due to google's new comment spam policy, any comments with links will have to be deleted to protect both you and me!