Sunday, November 29, 2009

MAKING YOUR HOME SING: KNOW YOUR LIMITATIONS

Making your home sing Mondays

Welcome to the Making Your Home Sing Monday meme! Every day you are doing something to make your house into a home for yourself and your family (if you have one). My point with each Monday post is, what are you doing or going to do today to make your home sing?

It can be an attitude or an action. Motivation, our attitude, baking, encouraging our husband or children (if we have either one), organization, cleaning, saving money....the opportunities are endless.

I love making lists, do you? I love being able to scratch something off and be done with it. There is so much satisfaction in being able to say "I did that!"

So often I try to operate without a list but then guess what happens? I forget things, or I forget the order and importance of things. I blame it on my "perfectionist" side.

For example, last week we had some people coming over one night. I knew that there were several things that I needed to do. Was I doing them? Nope. Instead I was focusing on one small thing that didn't even really matter, noone would notice and as a matter of fact, could be put off until later in the week. But I wanted it done now.

Fortunately, I did get my priorities in order and put off what I wanted to do and instead took on the task of doing what I needed to do. The perfectionist side of me wanted to take that one small task and get it all done, just for the joy of having it done and having it done "perfectly." Or, at least, done and completed just the way I wanted it.

We have a houseful of people coming next weekend, and I have lots of ideas floating in my head. However, this would not be a good time for me to decide I want to refinish the dining room hutch. This would not be a good time for me to rip all the wallpaper off of the bathroom wall and begin painting it or installing beadboard. This would not be a good time to repaint the hallway or the fireplace bricks.

Yes, many of these people have never been over before. But that does not mean I need to try and "impress" them with my freshly painted stair railings. Chipped, worn paint will have to do. We'll call it the "shabby chic" look, lol! I doubt it they'll notice it anyway, and who cares if they do?

Isn't it funny how sometimes, just knowing a bunch of people are coming over can cause you to start seeing certain things that need doing and repair work that needs to be done?

I know my limitations, and taking on a remodeling project or decorating project this week and stressing myself out is not in my best interest. It works for some people, but it won't work for me.

Do you know your limitations? Do you stress yourself out with poor planning, like I was doing? Do you use stress as a motivational tool? Do you find yourself snapping at those you love because you waited until the last minute to get something done again?

Some people say that they work better when they wait until the last minute to meet a deadline, and that may be so, but I don't think that the stress I would feel would be worth it. In fact, they may do the work because it has to be done, but I wonder if all that stress is worth it.

So this week, I will be making my home sing by making my list (and checking it twice.......sorry, *rolls eyes*). I will see what needs to be done around here in order for things to flow smoothly this week and in preparation for our guests this weekend.

I will also try and make sure to keep priorities in mind so that I don't ignore the big, important things and obsess over the small, unimportant things. I will try to chip away at my list and not wait until the last minute and then get all stressed out!

What are you doing or going to do today to make your home sing? Please go here for instructions and/or ideas and come back here to link up to join us today! Please do not put your own Making Your Home Sing Monday Linky on your blog. As always, please don't forget to link to this post. Also, please don't forgot to leave me a comment!


18 comments:

  1. What about when you spend a lot of time making a list, then you forget it when you go to the store like I've done about 3 times this week!

    Stress is definitely a motivator for me and I work VERY last minute...I'm not proud of it, but I've been this way since I was a kid and it's the only way I know how to be. I feel anxious when I do a little at a time...it just feels all weird!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love making lists too! That feeling of "done" ~~scratch~~ is the best!!! :)
    I find myself thinking that same way about projects though when I know people who are not around much are coming over too! But I know my limitations too and I usually begin to look wayward so that I get distracted somewhere else until the possible time for exasperated completion has past. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't make lists for myself too much, but we've found that a list for the girls with the chores expected of them for the day works really well. Especially in the summer when they are out of school. If they have a list, hardly ever is there a complaint. But if I just assign them duties as I think of them, they get very upset.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am in BIG trouble without a list. I forget everything or most everything.
    Blessings, andrea

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nan, Thank You! both for hosting the meme and for your entry this week. This is definitely a message I needed to hear!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I used to thrive on stress--now I am learning the joy of "careful planning"... except when I forget! It's a new liberation to not be "under the gun" all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ha! I REALLY need to work on knowing my own limitations. Great reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Shabby chic...I like that idea! ;-)

    I'm a big list maker. If I don't write it down, I get easily overwhelmed. I like the great feeling I get when I'm crossing things off throughout the day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am a List Maker. It keeps me focused and keeps me from forgetting things...lists are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am a list person. It does make me stay focused and get things done.

    Have a great week. I do remember that guy and a few others over the years.

    Nannette

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am not a list maker. But I am an obsesser. I obsess about the little things and have to make sure everything is perfect. Thank you for the great reminder that it doesn't have to be that way.

    BTW, shabby chiq really is in style...at least at my house ;)

    Take care my friend!
    Hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Now you are talking...I am such a list person. Live and die by the list:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I can't believe it's been so long since I got to comment. I've been reading but not able to comment (because I find it's better if I don't communicate in any form at 2am). Today to make my home sing I sat with my boys and played a card game... my limitations were suffocatingly tight today. Wolf told me the week before I had Monkey "When you are in hospital I won't care if the bathroom grout is scrubbed clean or not, I need to know that there's clothes in the kids drawers and where to find Lion's kindy stuff". I am the master of focusing on the wrong thing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love it! I'm always trying to find new time management techniques. I am a newly lover of lists:-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh Nan, you've inspired me once again! :) I had to post on my need for a list after I read your post...have you been spying on me??? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nan, you totally described me!

    You literally just encouraged me to write up a list. I'm one of those people who do things as I go. I'll get something in my mind, and get it done, and just move on to the next. I think I will feel good seeing it all on paper!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I don't have a full post to share. Just wanted to jump in and say that I read your post, and find it to be written just about me!!

    Thanks for the encouragement.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Nan,

    I'm always writing lists...I have lists for lists! lol

    I've missed ya...I'm trying to make more of an effort to be here in bloggy land more...Facebook is just so much eaasier to post something and go...problem is the relationships are not as substantial so I miss that.

    Love ya!

    ReplyDelete

So glad you stopped by today! Please feel free to subscribe to my blog and/or follow me on facebook. The links are at the bottom of each post.

Thank you for leaving a comment. I love hearing from you! Please keep it nice and sweet and family friendly so I don't have to delete!

Please don't leave a link to your blog (or anyone else's) in your comment. Due to google's new comment spam policy, any comments with links will have to be deleted to protect both you and me!