Sunday, October 11, 2009

MAKING YOUR HOME SING: SAVING TIME IN THE KITCHEN

Making your home sing Mondays

Welcome to the Making Your Home Sing Monday meme! Every day you are doing something to make your house into a home for yourself and your family (if you have one). My point with each Monday post is, what are you doing or going to do today to make your home sing?

It can be an attitude or an action. Motivation, our attitude, baking, encouraging our husband or children (if we have either one), organization, cleaning, saving money....the opportunities are endless.

This week I want to work on making my life a little easier in the kitchen. So I plan on hiring a cook. Or maybe I will just order out every day. Obviously I'm kidding (sort of.....).

Seriously, this week I have several things I want to do in order to save myself time in the kitchen.

I have never done that OAMC (Once A Month Cooking) thing, but I do like to make a few meals and stick them in the freezer for when I need something quick. However, we have eaten them all.

So this week, when I am making dinner, I want to make a couple of extra meals and pop them in the freezer. That way, I will have dinner that night, but also some extra for the freezer. I like doing it this way because you don't have to devote an entire day to cooking. You just do it while you're preparing your evening meal.

I also want to take a couple of pounds of ground turkey and brown them, then toss 'em in the freezer. That way, I can have it already browned and it will save me a step later when I'm making tacos or something. The meal prep will go much faster if I don't have to brown the meat first.

Another thing I want to do is cook some chicken and then pop it in the freezer. Then I can pull them out later when I have a casserole recipe that calls for cooked chicken. I don't know how many times I want to make a chicken casserole or something only to look at the clock, and realize I don't have enough time to prepare the recipe.

This leads me to the next thing, which is meal planning. I need to get back to that again. Meal planning saves time, saves money, and saves stress! When you know what you are making for dinner, you've already made sure that you have the ingredients on hand, and you have time to prepare it.

I also bought a bunch of green peppers on sale and I plan on cutting them up and freezing them. Then I can pull them out later for fajitas or other recipes instead of buying them at a higher price. I already have a big bag of diced onions in the freezer, and this will save me time (and tears) later.

My recipe file is a mess. Really, you should see it! So, one of the things I want to do this week is to sort through it and get it organized. That will save time when I am looking for a particular recipe.

So, this is how I am going to make my home sing this week, or make my kitchen sing anyway!

What are you doing or going to do today to make your home sing? Please go here for instructions and/or ideas and come back here to link up to join us today! Please do not put your own Making Your Home Sing Monday Linky on your blog. As always, please don't forget to link to this post. Also, please don't forgot to leave me a comment!

30 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry I messed up too many things when I wrote earlier.

    I was saying that things have changed so much for us that I can't believe it is my life.

    We don't eat together very often now and my hubs does most of the cooking. We just eat what he has cooked and take some for lunch if we don't want a sandwich.

    I've got to prepare some meals and freeze them too. Now I need the motivation.

    More later.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds like a great idea. I may try that...I hate to have to cook something only to put it into something else that needs to be cooked. Great idea Nan!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great ideas!

    One thing we do is pre-marinate our meat before tossing it in the freezer.

    When we buy it, we break into portions we need for a meal and mix the marinade into the ziplock bag, it absorbs while freezing and defrosting, making the meal quicker to prep...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am first to link up! can it be???

    love these ideas! of course after you went through sorting your Freezer now you have to fill it up. I so need a larger freezer to be able to do this though. Mine only has enough space for one week´s worth of meats.

    I cleaned the bottom of my fridge today. I had coffee, milk and who knows what else there. It finally got to me.

    all this talk about the fridge and food now i am hungry... but it´s like 2am...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been saying FOREVER that we need to make a menu, plan the meals, and cook ahead, but it hasn't happened yet! :( I'm really going to work on that this week, SERIOUSLY. Thanks for the motivation...wait, I think my freezer just laughed at me... ;)
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this idea. I think you captured something that all of us busy moms need to do and that is prepping for meals ahead but at least pre cooking the meat. What a great time saver.

    Love and Hugs ~ Kat

    ReplyDelete
  8. My husband was forced into an early retirement last November. He has been cooking a lot of our dinners. He loves to cook and obviously, I LOVE IT! So hubby is making our home sing! Is there anything wrong with that? Sure hope not.

    Love, hugs, and prayers, andrea

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, menu planning! Why do I keep putting that off, anyway? For years I did the Once a MOnth cooking thing, and then "Make a mix". Both were pretty good. Right now, I buy the frozen chicken breasts and just toss them in a covered pan with a little water and cook on HIGH. It takes about 7-10 minutes to cook them. It's almost faster than thawing the meat already cooked and tastes fresher. Also if you buy the tubes of 1 pound beef or turkey, it takes 12 minutes to thaw in the microwave on level 3 heat. I just got sick of the precooked pre-frozen taste of everything. But whatever works for you! Maybe you aren't that fussy. I have a funny/ weird post about organizing up.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Girl, for starters, I'm gonna clean it! I grocery shopped on Saturday and almost everything from that trip is still sitting on the counters, not put away! And I've cooked this weekend too, and all those dishes are still in the sink. But you know, I haven't seen my husband in over a week, and I just forgot about the house this weekend, and spent time with him. I don't regret it one bit! But tomorrow, it's back to the grindstone!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This busy mom might just try some of your happy home ideas. I certainly need to save time in the kitchen, since we barely find time to eat together as it is.

    thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. menu planning really helps with the shopping doesn't it? I really need to do that again! I try to make extra of things and freeze but it doesn't always work out that way!
    Love Collette xxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. That sounds really good my friend. It's amazing to me how much time I spend in the kitchen! I do enjoy cooking but sometimes I feel like I"m in there all day! LOL
    Big hugs to you girlfriend.
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great ideas my friend! I have been trying to implement some of these into our house. It makes meal time so much easier! And I feel like I have accomplished something. Gotta love that feeling!

    Thanks for all the tips! Hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yes, I like having hamburger seasoned, cooked and ready for different dishes that are family favorites. Bill usually cooks several chickens for me, either on the grill or in the oven, on Saturdays…isn’t he sweet? Then I can just pull one out for a chicken dinner during the week. Sometimes he cooks up steaks and I cut them up for different dishes. I am very spoiled.
    Kat has a wonderful bread recipe that the dough can be ready in the refrigerator for baking…up to 14 days! I am making that one of my weekly features.
    ♫Happy Monday, Nan!♫
    ♥Hope

    ReplyDelete
  16. GREAT idea...I should really try the whole planning ahead, and making meals ahead of time...I never have done that. I LOVE that my husband works at a grocery store, but it also can be a crutch...I depend on him too much.

    About those peppers...we should have a "green pepper cutting party"(has a ring to it doesn't it)...I have a bag full and plan on freezing too.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi there. Nice blog. Just want to thank you for taking your time to visit my site yesterday. It means a lot. My son is not 100% better, still dizzy but at least he's able to eat and drink and no more of those bad headaches. God bless you. I'll come by again.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sounds like you are going to be one busy lady!! I love cooking like that.. SOMETIMES. LOL.
    I love to find deals on stuff, stock up and have things handy!!
    Enjoy your time in the kitchen!!

    Happy Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great idea! I love something that could save me time!!! Im gonna have to do that tooo.....Copy Cat, Copy Cat!!! Tarah

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks for all the great ideas. My menu files are all a mess too. But now you've got me thinking about casseroles. I'm gonna go clean up them menu files and plan out some casseroles:-)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow, you are really taking things up a notch! If I weren't still stuck with crutches, I'd love to challenge myself to do what you're doing.

    Hey, wanna enter a link to your post on my 'Big Butt' blog post link? It fits right in...

    ReplyDelete
  22. When I am making a meal, I double the recipe. Whatever is left, I put it in the freezer for next month's meal.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great idea!
    I need to find me some new recipes. My problem is that my girls love the "usuals" and when I try something new they always ask when are they going to get one of the "usuals"..... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'm with the poster who often doubles up when she makes a meal and stashes the extra meal in the freezer. For the most part, making ahead just hasn't worked for me, but man, I'd like to get back to having a menu plan that works for me.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thank you for letting me know about my blog. People who use Mozilla have problems reading my blog. I don't know why.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thank you for letting me know about my blog. People who use Mozilla have problems reading my blog. I don't know why.

    ReplyDelete
  27. That is a great idea. I try to do that when i have time, Okay if I have time, Okay maybe 4 times a year.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I've always wanted to do that type of meal planning (where I freeze future dinners). But, I don't even have room in my freezer! LOL

    But, I do like the idea of cutting veggies and cooked chicken!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Great tips, thanks so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

So glad you stopped by today! Please feel free to subscribe to my blog and/or follow me on facebook. The links are at the bottom of each post.

Thank you for leaving a comment. I love hearing from you! Please keep it nice and sweet and family friendly so I don't have to delete!

Please don't leave a link to your blog (or anyone else's) in your comment. Due to google's new comment spam policy, any comments with links will have to be deleted to protect both you and me!