Sunday, October 18, 2009

MAKING YOUR HOME SING: OVERSLEEPING

Making your home sing Mondays

Welcome to the Making Your Home Sing Monday meme! Every day you are doing something to make your house into a home for yourself and your family (if you have one). My point with each Monday post is, what are you doing or going to do today to make your home sing?

It can be an attitude or an action. Motivation, our attitude, baking, encouraging our husband or children (if we have either one), organization, cleaning, saving money....the opportunities are endless.

I am having such a hard time getting up lately! It's getting annoying. It's not like I have a very good reason. I just don't want to get up and so I just fall back to sleep, I guess. Has that ever happened to you?

The problem is that if I allow myself to sleep in for even a half hour, then I start out already behind in homeschooling and in my work around the home. I am rushing around trying to eat breakfast and get stuff done before we start school. Not only that, but all day I am playing catch up.

Most people don't have a problem getting up if they have a job to go to. They may have trouble getting to work on time, but they don't usually have trouble dragging themselves into work. Not if they want to keep their job anyway.

Also, most people don't have trouble getting up and staying up if they have small children. After all, it's not like you want to give a toddler the run of the house while you go back to sleep for a few hours. Not if you want to keep the toddler (and the house) in one piece!

But I think some people have trouble getting up if they don't "have" to get up. If they don't have to be at work on time, or if they don't have a baby or small child who is an early-riser, or children who need to be in school.

However, there have been some who will get their kids off to school and then pop back in bed for a bit more sleep. For the mom who has a newborn keeping her awake at night, that may be the only way to recharge her batteries.

But what about the mom who just likes to sleep? *slowly raises hand* What about the mom who is a "night" owl? What about the mom who says up til 2 or 3 in the morning blogging, reading or watching t.v. and then sleeps in til noon (if she can)? Or takes a 2-3 hour nap in the afternoon because she stayed up so late? Or doesn't nap but is in a grumpy mood all day because she's tired from her late night?

You can ask practically any mom and she will say that she is tired. Especially a mom with little children. Or a mom with teenagers who is lying in bed listening for the car to pull into the driveway! Even busy women with no children are burning the candle at both ends sometimes. We're all tired!

The problem is that when we want to fit more things into our day (especially fun things) the first thing to go is usually our sleep. Then, our quiet time with the Lord suffers because we either can't stay awake, or we just "don't have time" for it.

Then, perhaps the next thing to go is our patience or our temper! I don't know about you, but when I get tired I can be a little....shall we say, grumpy?

The next thing to suffer is most likely our families and our homes. Because when we're tired we are more likely to snap at those we love. Also, if we're staying up to late and sleeping in or napping in the afternoons, we don't have as much time to do the cleaning, or we're just dragging all day and don't have the energy (again, I'm not talking about moms with babies keeping them up all night)

I don't take naps so if I'm tired, I am just in a fog all day and don't feel like cleaning, cooking, or doing much of anything. You know what I'm talking about, you have those days where you are just tired and lacking in energy or motivation all day. Clearly, our bodies are trying to tell us something.

So this week I am going to try and make myself go to bed on time so I can wake up on time. Such a small thing but the results can be huge!




23 comments:

  1. What a good post and since I move in less then a week I can't be sleeping in at all. I have to be busy packing and entertain my little man. Best of luck with the up coming week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great post, since I try to stay in bed until the absolute last minute before I have to get up and go to work. I am SO not a morning person...

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds all too familiar at my house. We homeschool and I am also a night owl who is trying to train myself to go to bed so that I can get up and stay up. good luck. I'll be praying that you are able to do this successfully.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to be at work by 7:00a.m., so sleeping in is not an option for me, except on Saturdays and an hour later on Sundays. But I do have problems getting up early enough to do that quiet time. I will do it at night, but it is not quite the same as starting out your day in the word. But getting up at 5:00a.m.... HELP!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello, have been reading your blog for some time, now a follower. Intersting post. I make my home sing by literally singing our conversations to each other (ie son and I). He'll pick a tune and sing his response and thereafter I will respond with the same tune. It's hilarous if only i could tape it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. As I yawn right now. I need to get to bed too. Tomorrow is a late start day, but still gotta get up early. I hate being late, but I usually am. Grrr.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a good post! I'm a total night owl, but for some reason, I cannot sleep in. I guess that is a good thing, but there are some days when I'm trying to play catch up. But, more times than not, I do get up before everyone else so this way I'm not rushing throughout the day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's so hard, isn't it? Somehow I can be exhausted all day, but I get my second wind about the time I should be going to bed for a good rest. It eventually catches up with me and I have to go to bed early because I'm too exhausted to do anything else. Then the cycle starts all over again.

    It's hard, too, because I want to grab a little time of my own after the kids are in bed. Guess I should use that time for sleeping instead of "fun" things. : )

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, I know what you mean my friend! I am trying. But it sure is a hard habit to break. Thanks for always being that great reminder! Hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Guilty as charged. Lately I have trouble getting up in the morning. But I don't have kids here to take care of, so I don't feel all that bad about it, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I´m with ya on this one! especially now that I am coming down with a sore throat and sniffles. praying I can get by it without a full blown cold or infection that would so incure when I wasn´t in shape.

    Praying together to this end! A good night sleep tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  12. NOT A MORNING PERSON!! Thankfully I have to be up in going to get the two youngest out the door...sorry to say the two oldest are on their own. I tried to rearrange and get up early to have quiet time first, but my brain is in such a fog, that I stayed with my old routine of quiet time after all the kids are out the door. Sleep is such a precious thing, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are so right. In fact, I am exhausted right now. I need a nap!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I know exactly what you're saying! I wait until late at night after the kids are in bed to read, watch TV, blog..... If it weren't for my kids I'm sure that I wouldn't get up until noon.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is so funny to read because yesterday we all overslept til 10:05.....(probably had to do with Hunter's bday party going on past midnight)

    but, I don't think I have done that since I had children almost 18 years ago!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I wish I did not have to sleep. It takes up way too much time! But once I am there I don't want to do anything else. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  17. I agree. Sometimes I will schedule something to force me to get up. I do have a few designated "sleep in" days because it is hard not to have a few "night owl" nights out there. Having a consistent wake up time is better for your health--or so I've heard.

    Here is my link. Not sure where the linky is:
    http://organizedeveryday.blogspot.com/2009/10/reporting-in-live-from-emilys-house.html

    ReplyDelete
  18. Guilty here! (not of going back to sleep after the kids are at school, or napping in the afternoon...I wish!) but of not getting the rest I need in order to do the things I 'should' be doing! Great challenge for me this week as well!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am the same way. I love to sleep in and I don't like naps. They just make me feel worse. I do stay up pretty late too. I have even written a post and how much of a morning person I am not!! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I did NOT raise my hand...okay I did! ;)

    I am so guilty! Even when I try to go to bed early...I can't relax! But I try to remember when I have trouble sleeping or relaxing that I obviously need to be praying! It's definitely a small, simple step...but with great rewards! Thanks for the encouragment...I think lots of us needed to hear that!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks for the note about the giveaway. It looks fabulous. I just had a blog makeover and hired a gal to do mine. So I'm set. But good job on the contest!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I am right there! I am havng such a hard time lately getting u and staying up after the girls go to school. I allow myself half an hour (sometimes more but don´t tell anyone ;)) and then I am behing everything and thinks don´t get done.... :(

    ReplyDelete
  23. Yet another post where you are describing me exactly!! I'm starting to think that we might be related! :)

    I did manage to go to bed earlier than usual last night and got up early this morning - had time to read even. But - I still didn't get enough sleep & fell asleep on the couch. Now I'm trying to be productive and consume lots of caffeine. SO hard to switch to morning person and get to bed early enough. At least I know I'm not alone in the struggle!

    ReplyDelete

So glad you stopped by today! Please feel free to subscribe to my blog and/or follow me on facebook. The links are at the bottom of each post.

Thank you for leaving a comment. I love hearing from you! Please keep it nice and sweet and family friendly so I don't have to delete!

Please don't leave a link to your blog (or anyone else's) in your comment. Due to google's new comment spam policy, any comments with links will have to be deleted to protect both you and me!