Sunday, October 25, 2009

MAKING YOUR HOME SING: IF AT FIRST YOU DON'T SUCCEED

Making your home sing Mondays

Welcome to the Making Your Home Sing Monday meme! Every day you are doing something to make your house into a home for yourself and your family (if you have one). My point with each Monday post is, what are you doing or going to do today to make your home sing?

It can be an attitude or an action. Motivation, our attitude, baking, encouraging our husband or children (if we have either one), organization, cleaning, saving money....the opportunities are endless.

I just thought I'd mention that last week's "making my home sing" plan did not go so well. Oh, I had high hopes, but high hopes did not keep my hand away from the snooze button. In fact, one morning I overslept and was extremely surprised as I did not even remember hearing the alarm go off.

In fact, I went so far as to check the alarm because I was sure that it was no longer working. However, the alarm does work, which leads me to believe that my ears are no longer working. Either that or I am lacking in discipline. Sigh.

Oh, and that one week where I said that I wanted to try candles to put beauty in my home? That whole week turned out to be a very strange week for us, schedule wise, and the family had to leave at different times, we ate at different times and once I ate all by myself! So, no candles that week.

The week before last I had several things I wanted to do in the kitchen to make meal preparation easier. For instance, I wanted to brown a few pounds of ground turkey, cook some chicken and pop it in the freezer, cut up some green peppers and flash freeze them, make a couple of extra meals and pop them in the freezer, and reorganize my recipe file.

Well, I managed to do all of that, except for reorganizing my recipe file. It is still a mess. I just ran out of time.

My point is, just because we have some things that we want to try to brighten up or organize our homes, or new ideas we want to try, well....it doesn't mean it's always going to work out that week.

But just because things didn't work out that week, it doesn't mean the ideas were bad. We need to keep trying and not give up. Many times I have great ideas and I try to implement to many of them at once. That can be overwhelming. Sometimes it's best to take it slow, and only add one or two new habits (or ideas) at a time.

So, I'm going to make my home sing this week by not getting discouraged when my life does not fit in with the big plans that I make. That doesn't mean they are a failure, or that I have failed. It just means that sometimes things happen and we need to be flexible!

So instead of overwhelming yourself with to much to soon, try adding one new habit a week (or a month). Make your bed every day for a month. Try one new recipe every week for a month. Throw away the junk mail (instead of letting it pile up on the counters) every day for a month. Concentrate on doing that one thing well, until you've "got" it.

This week, my habit will be trying to tame the paper tiger and getting control of my filing (including my recipe file).

What are you doing or going to do today to make your home sing? Please go here for instructions and/or ideas and come back here to link up to join us today! Please do not put your own Making Your Home Sing Monday Linky on your blog. As always, please don't forget to link to this post. Also, please don't forgot to leave me a comment!

22 comments:

  1. You are so right! I often find myself getting discouraged, so I give up... the kids shoes can just be scattered all over... the junk mail kind of looks pretty collecting dust by the phone... etc.

    I am going to think about what new thing I will implement this week. Thanks for the inspiration!

    Mrs. Nurse Boy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes the best laid out plans...it doesn't mean you have failed, just had a change of action. Or at least that is what i keep telling myself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Nan,

    I like this…”So, I'm going to make my home sing this week by not getting discouraged when my life does not fit in with the big plans that I make.”

    That is a wonderful, cheerful goal that I need to remember!

    ♥Hope

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nan,

    I so often become overwhelmed because I plan too much. Great idea to just choose one goal!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My mom is coming for a visit this week so I want my house to be clean. It's the first time in four years that she has been to visit us and the first time she has seen our housel. I will try not get discouraged if I don't get everything done that I wanted to get done before she gets here. Thanks for that message today! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello my sweet friend!

    It has been months since I have been in blog land. I deleted my old blog and made a new one. I have missed your blog so much and all of the encouraging words from you!

    I hope that everything has been well for you and your family. I promise to start stopping by again more frequently!!

    I loved this post! This happens to me so much. I have the best intentions but it doesn't always work out the way that I want it to!

    Love and many blessing!
    Naomi

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Nan, unfortunately, i forget my plans. Then I am stumped as to what I wanted to do. Always enjoyed your Monday suggestions. Will try them out, recipe and candles is nice. Make sure my boy stays far away from the candles.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good idea about concentrating on one thing for a month. That's what I need to do. Ummm, I think it will be organizing my pots-n-pans cabinets.

    smooches,
    Larie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great attitude to have! And thanks for the challenge to keep going!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for this post Nan...cause I am crazy list lady and when it all doesn't get crossed off I get so discouraged and upset. There is more to life than lists. I have to keep telling my OCD self that.
    Hugs,
    Mimi

    ReplyDelete
  11. I know exactly how you feel time is so precious and we need to make the best of it but there are those times when no matter what we do there is just not enough time

    ReplyDelete
  12. You're right...I'm not sure when our morning routine fell apart, but lately at least one child has been late to school at least once a week. That stinks! It makes me feel like a horrible mom!! But I am determined to get us back on track...now I just have to figure out how... :)
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  13. you are so real! Keep doing the good things you are doing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. With my three little ones, if I wasn´t flexible I would go crazy :) like today, it is cleaning day, but with the chiropractor and a ministry appointment guess who´s house is not clean :)......

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nan,

    I try not to get discouraged. I always realize I do have more days to work on these things in the future. My family has now become a bigger priority and I try to get everything done before the weekend. Just a little bit everyday helps!

    Love and Hugs ~ Kat

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hello dear (MOM ♥☺),

    I am not very good with pie crust myself; however, I keep trying to perfect it, and actually have been better this month than ever before! I refuse to give up and give into buying store pie crust. This is a badge of my motherhood/wifelyhood ☺ here.

    Somehow, I just cannot take pleasure in something I did not do myself.

    Keep up the good work!
    ♥Hope

    ReplyDelete
  17. I use to stress way more. Now I just have a messy house. ;) No, it´s not too bad. The boys help a lot.

    You are probably the queen of flexibility.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I do the same thing. I will have this huge list in my mind of things to get done, but then it doesn't and I get so discouraged. One of my friends was telling me this morning that I need to not try to do too much at once, or I'll get stressed and sick. :( I did quite a bit today, but not too much. :D

    ReplyDelete
  19. Baby steps...that is what I tell myself...baby steps. Glad to know I'm not the only one!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh I know just what you mean. I have been meaning to clean out and organize my pantry for weeks now and somehow it always falls to the bottom of the list. I am going to get it done today...

    ReplyDelete
  21. Nan,

    I think it's great to keep trying to put those new habits into place to help make our lives run a little smoother. And it's OK if our plans don't always turn out the way we hoped. We just need to keep working at it.

    Blessings,
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  22. Very good advice...it's easy to feel discouraged when things don't work out, but what will our families do, fire us?

    Nope! They will just enjoy the changed when we get to them! :)

    ReplyDelete

So glad you stopped by today! Please feel free to subscribe to my blog and/or follow me on facebook. The links are at the bottom of each post.

Thank you for leaving a comment. I love hearing from you! Please keep it nice and sweet and family friendly so I don't have to delete!

Please don't leave a link to your blog (or anyone else's) in your comment. Due to google's new comment spam policy, any comments with links will have to be deleted to protect both you and me!